PDA

View Full Version : Application timming template?

DAN-O'S TURF MANAGEMENT
08-20-2005, 08:03 PM
I'm in need of a application timming template for sprays and fertilizers for cool and warm season turfgrasses alike.Getting ready to purchase a Perma Green Magnum, need to get my ducks in a row,(beak to tail, beak to tail)! I appreciate your time. Dan Childers....Dan-o's Turf Management

Runner
08-20-2005, 08:28 PM
I don't understand what you mean by "timing template" Do you mean some sort of a schedule rodter to track your aps., or what? Here, we try to space or aps around 4 - 6 weeks apart. Starting in mid to late Apr., and going through.

SodKing
08-20-2005, 09:44 PM
There are several programs to keep your clients applications timed properly. My company wrote our own using MS access. There is also Gopher software (sponsor of this site), Clip, Real Green systems.

ThreeWide
08-20-2005, 10:49 PM
Sounds more like you are asking for a general program schedule for your applications.

One would think that a licensed applicator along with a good product sales rep could put that together.

Is that what you are asking?

DAN-O'S TURF MANAGEMENT
08-20-2005, 11:18 PM
Yep, That's what I'm in need of. I have had my certified applicators license for about 2 years now, and purchase all my chemicals from lesco and estes in Tulsa O.K. I am a member of the Oklahoma Turfgrass Research Foundation, and attend All off- season training sessions that they and the O.S.U. extension office provide information about.I have been looking and asking for a more precise guideline to go by instead of what I have learned through my meager 5 years experience.Everytime that I ask if there will be a class pertaining to that subject matter, I'm told that it's in the works.I just haven't realized any hands on documentation as of yet.I recieved an admissions packet for an Associate in applied science in turfgrass from professor David Gerken at O.S.U.I believe that I will find the answer there, but I just don't have the time yet to go back to school full time in order to get that degree.So, yes I'm just looking for a sort of "rule of thumb" to go by and build upon in the mean time. Just trying to provide a better product with better results for my clients. I appreciate your time Dan Childers....Dan-o's Turf Management

GreenUtah
08-22-2005, 05:14 PM
Dan,
The thing about turf applications is that it relies on what ole Mother Nature is up to. Whether spring comes early or late, temps skyrocket, rainfall dumps by the garbage can full, drought, insects and weeds start early or late, et al. Your program needs to be fluid to accomodate what you see, therefore, even though you can schedule service visits every 6 weeks, or 4 weeks or what have you, agrinomically, you'll need to keep in mind that you'll have push backs or push ups for certain things in your schedule. It would be lovely to think that we could all have a fixed schedule to maximize production and that every tech can do 40 lawns a day in a nice tight order with planned results and no service calls throughout the season. However, we're talking about a living system in an every changing environment that will do it's best to foil even our best planned schedule. Give yourself the wiggle room, tell clients that their apps will be spaced every 4-6 weeks so that you can get eyeballs on them in reasonable increments and be prepared for the worst case scenario all the time. That's your planning template for our world..lol

ProLawns
08-23-2005, 10:33 AM
Here's a "general" schedule for fescue. 4-5 pounds of nitrogen per year applied in 4 or 5 apps. at least 50% slow release. I usually do two apps in spring, march and may with pre-em and the second app with iron and 3 apps in the fall. about 6 weeks apart. If your farther north the pre-em apps could be later. 1 or 2 apps. of Bayleton (expensive) just before the heat and humidity hit if your in a location where you you experience fungus. If fungus does appear treat with Manacure fungicide. These are Lesco products. Aerate and overseed in fall. Dethatch if needed. Apply lime after aerating at maintenence rate of 50# per thousand. At my location we have acidic soils so we need lime. Do a weed treatment whenever enough weeds are present to justify or spot treat.

SodKing
08-23-2005, 06:24 PM
If fungus does appear treat with Manacure fungicide. .

Watch what you are using. I noticed this year that the manicure I was about to buy to use on a homeowners lawn was not labeled for use on home lawns.

This is from the Manicure label: "Nonagricultural Uses
For use to control diseases on turf on golf courses, lawns around institutional, public, commercial and industrial buildings, parks, recreational areas, and athletic fields. NOTE: Use of this product on home lawns is prohibited."