PDA

View Full Version : Anybody tweak their mowers or make mods?

South Florida Lawns
08-20-2005, 09:12 PM
Just wondering if you guys play around with your old/new mowers and try to better the performance? Or to get better fuel consumption

My mods are a K&N filter on my two toro Z's but thats all so far.
Include pics or detailed info.

imdawrlus
08-20-2005, 09:24 PM
haha i was thinking about drilling some holes in the aircleaner housing so that it would suck in some colder air....i said screw that idea tho....

gene gls
08-20-2005, 09:24 PM
Just wondering if you guys play around with your old/new mowers and try to better the performance? Or to get better fuel consumption

Yes..........

Gene

riches139
08-20-2005, 09:27 PM
I removed the inner debris shield from the motor. I then lined the outer shield with screening.
With the inner shield ( the one that spins with the engine ) removed, the engine seems to have better air flow. :drinkup:

Scotts' Yard Care
08-20-2005, 09:59 PM
I've been so pleased with our new Z that all I've done is sharpen the blades and balance them for smooth cutting. I did notice one of the hydros made a slight moan when the parking brake was engaged so I adjusted one linkage rod one turn and that seemed to quiet the sound. Other than that I'm just riding and grinnin' :cool: We did turn the governors up on our 21" walk behinds
to a respectable 3600rpm. I don't how anyone could have cut with the low factory settings.

Frontier-Lawn
08-20-2005, 10:32 PM

how u get a k&n for a mower

Jason Rose
08-20-2005, 11:11 PM
Would you not have to re-jet your carb. for a K&N filter? I know if you want to run a K&N on ATV's you have to re-jet. I would assume that it would be no different...

About the only tweaking I do to my mowers is the engine rpm's. I bought a new machine (small ztr) and put the tiny-tach on it and it was running at a whopping 3100 rpm's with the blades running. I call that stall speed!

Iv'e ran synthetic oil but there's so much mixed opinion on weather that is good or not I want back to the "cheap" dino oil. I see no diference in how much oil the machine uses in a given time on syn, or dino. and it was always a pain to keep the syn. stuff around as well as everything else.

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-21-2005, 12:05 AM
I've put K&N air filters on numerous motorcycles and an F150 and never had to rejet

Killswitch
08-21-2005, 12:09 AM
He may be thinking of when you add an aftermarket pipe. Then you need to re jet.

Frontier-Lawn
08-21-2005, 12:54 AM
Would you not have to re-jet your carb. for a K&N filter?

rejet is needed for timming issue's not more air flow from a less restictive filter

Itsgottobegreen
08-21-2005, 01:11 AM
I modifty all the time. But usually its with a welder. I also have a bunch of shop built equipment. Sorry no pics patents pending.

Forest
08-21-2005, 02:01 AM
rejet is needed for timming issue's not more air flow from a less restictive filter

Rejetting is for Altering the fuel demands for heavier breathing engines. In order to keep the engine from leaning out you fatten up the jets. Rejetting is NOT for timing issues sorry :p

As a side note your fuel injected vehicals do not require fuel modifications for K&N filters because the engine control module takes car of what's needed.

You wanna know what would be cool...stroke a ztr. Maybe flow bench the carb. Make it a wheeling riding machine :D

Frontier-Lawn
08-21-2005, 12:23 PM
swap out stock for this http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=151724&prmenbr=361

:p

South Florida Lawns
08-21-2005, 07:11 PM
I used to race 4 cycle go-carts for a while so I know where to get filters. And no its not a new air intake system just the cotton washable filter. I picked my filters up at a local go-kart dealer you would be amazed how many filter sizes K&N make.

Grasskeepers
02-18-2012, 11:00 AM
i just finished installing my front mount turbo on my quick 44 this thing is a wheelie machine now