PDA

View Full Version : X-Mas Lightin flyers

Frontier-Lawn
08-20-2005, 10:15 PM
i have been thinking of doing lights this year. anyone here have ideas for a flyer, and how to price the installs?

mcwlandscaping
08-20-2005, 10:38 PM
I haven't read this but you may have, anyway, try this link:
Hope it helps:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=112899

Frontier-Lawn
08-21-2005, 12:50 AM
nope on my computer search wont work

RedWingsDet
08-21-2005, 04:12 PM
i might use something like this...

Frontier-Lawn
08-21-2005, 04:31 PM
got that one, im trying to get ideas to put on it

Mile High
08-26-2005, 12:23 AM
Just get the flyers out and they will call. Last year we charged $60 a man hour with a 4 hour ($240 minimum). This minimum is for both up and down, since we can get small jobs (front and doors only) done in 3 hours up and 1 hour down. We will raise our rates this year to $80 per man hour to cover the call backs we had to do but could not charge for. Our minimum will be $360.

n2h20
08-28-2005, 03:08 PM
Just get the flyers out and they will call. Last year we charged $60 a man hour with a 4 hour ($240 minimum). This minimum is for both up and down, since we can get small jobs (front and doors only) done in 3 hours up and 1 hour down. We will raise our rates this year to $80 per man hour to cover the call backs we had to do but could not charge for. Our minimum will be $360.

HOw many strands or feet of lights can you put up in an hour?
i have heard something like 6 bucks a strand.

Do you charge the minimum to put them up and then again to take them down or one price includes both?

Frontier-Lawn
08-28-2005, 03:15 PM
so far i have come up with this.

Mile High
08-30-2005, 01:02 AM
HOw many strands or feet of lights can you put up in an hour?
i have heard something like 6 bucks a strand.

Do you charge the minimum to put them up and then again to take them down or one price includes both?

I don't measure how many strands the guys can put or take down per hour. I don't really care because I am billing hourly (I would care if I felt they were working especially slow, but they aren't). Most clients of ours are little old ladies who just want their own icicle lights hung on the front of the house an perhaps around the front door or a small tree. Some companies do charge by the strand. Call your lighting supplier for help on this. Yes, the minimum is for both up and down (for us they come down twice as fast as they go up).

Eddie B
08-31-2005, 12:55 PM
I like this idea. I've installed a huge amount of lights at home for years and enjoy it very much. I've never really installed for productivity purposes, that would be interesting. Safety is a big concern. GFCI outlet would be required.

I do have a question... I've always used indoor grade extension cords due to the fact that I can't find an outdoor grade 2-prong cord. What types of cords do you installers use?

I've not run into any safety issues, and open-ended plugs and plugs lying on the ground have always been sealed with electrical tape.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Frontier-Lawn
08-31-2005, 12:58 PM
for my mother-inlaws i use a green outdoor 3 prong. that way it blends in

Mile High
09-01-2005, 12:09 AM
We make our own cords ahead of time during "down time". I buy a spool of outdoor 12-2 and we put our own ends on them. We also buy some if we don't have enough, you can get them from an electrical supply wholesale company. Call around and find a wholesale electrical place to buy the male/female and spools with. Also they can be very helpful with advice on the electical supply side of things. We refer people to a local electrician when we don't have enough outlets on the outside to plug into. You may also find some of this at Home Depot, but personally, I don't like the lack of service I get at our local stores, so I don't shop there unless I have to. I would rather support a local business man than a national corporation.

dmoney
09-03-2005, 01:57 PM
I have always charged by the foot for my supplies. C9's are the most popular. Garland is always the toughest sell because my cost is so high. I get my supplies from a couls websiteshttp://www.aachristmas.com http://www.christmaslightsetc.com these two have been great to me. If anyone has any questions feel free to email menikegolf44@aol.com one question I have....is it more worth it to flier or to mail out postcards?

fraggle
09-06-2005, 02:41 AM
try www.gkibethlehem.com for foliage, i've dealt with them. High quality, i crossed referenced their prices and they are alot cheaper. Action Lighting has reasonable prices for minis, clips and accesories, C9's are better priced at GKI.

henri4207
09-07-2005, 10:28 PM
I have had good sucess the past 3 years with a lot of my customers. I charge $2-$3 per foot for c7 or c9,which includes install and take down, and about 1/2 that for the minilights. We also charge extra for all extension cords and 3-way splitter plugs, and timers.

Five Diamond Lawns
10-09-2005, 12:45 PM
I've done Christmas lights a couple years now and charge 2 strands and hour. That includes everything, meaning if I go to a job that will require 20 strands I charge 10 hours door to door. If I am providing the lights, cords and hangers I charge double what I pay to cover the time spent getting them.

I started out just charging by the hour but that only worked for my regular clients who knew me. It was a problem with new ones so I came up with this system.

nelbuts
12-08-2005, 07:46 PM
All right going to help you out.

here are some suppliers.

www.buyinflatables.com

www.lightorama.com

www.actionlighting.com

and for advice...... www.planetchristmas.com

here is my website. oh and i have made and or rebuilt all the wireframes you see on this site. www.ridgeharborchristmas.com

drop me an email and let me know what you think