PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone actually brag on a Lesco mower?

southlin
08-21-2005, 12:10 PM
Thinking of buying a lesco, one problem. There are no dealers in my area. I would have to have one shipped to me. Is it worth it? Or should I just buy another exmark or toro. Like the looks of a lesco but by having to have it shipped i wont even be able to test it.

Any opinions on lesco would be appreciated.

I know, i know it depends on what i like. :help:

geogunn
08-21-2005, 12:17 PM

I have a good opinion of LESCO.

GEO

TURFLORD
08-21-2005, 12:20 PM
All the machines are basically the same. Ithink the Lesco could use some bigger tires.

jtrice11
08-21-2005, 01:19 PM
I have a brand new lesco 48" Hydro-pistol grip. Its got great power, but I don't like the quality of cut. Doesn't even compare to my toro. Price was the driving force behind buying it.

lwcmattlifter
08-21-2005, 01:23 PM
My Lesco 36" hydro has 16 x 6.5 tires, same height as most other hydro wb's but 2" narrower. I have never had a problem with them. I really like my mower, it cuts as well as if not better than Exmark and Scagg. Some of the Lesco stores don't carry many parts but the stuff that usually goes out (bearings, belts, hoses) can be purchased at auto parts stores. And the engine and hydro parts can be found at any power equipment dealer.

TWUllc
08-21-2005, 01:59 PM
I saved a bunch of money by buying Lesco over Scag. (48 belt)

joshlawn
08-21-2005, 02:16 PM
Thinking of buying a lesco, one problem. There are no dealers in my area. I would have to have one shipped to me. Is it worth it?

The bigest draw back to buying that Lesco is dealer support and repair, otherwise Lesco is a great mower. It would be better to stick with local dealers, because they can fix their/your mowers alot faster than you can fix your Lesco on your own. The less down time is the key.

True Cut Lawn Maintenance
08-21-2005, 02:29 PM
Get a Deere to match that trailer

robby
08-21-2005, 02:32 PM
We have 3 lesco dealers in my area and i'm in the process now of looking for a new mower for next year. I'm very tempted by the fact that they are about 30% cheaper than deere, exmark, scag, etc. But I gotta believe that they are cheaper for a reason? Plus I see ZERO mowing services using them here in the cincinnati area. I dont think ive ever seen a lesco mower on a mowing truck or trailer passing by me. Makes me wonder who the heck is even buying them. But the same can almost be said for John Deere mowers in this area. You rarely see them being used either, but i've had great luck with my deere over the years. I'm just debating whether to try and save a buck and give Lesco a try. I wish there were more users out there that we could get input from.

Envy Lawn Service
08-21-2005, 02:59 PM
The bigest draw back to buying that Lesco is dealer support and repair, otherwise Lesco is a great mower. It would be better to stick with local dealers, because they can fix their/your mowers alot faster than you can fix your Lesco on your own. The less down time is the key.

While that SHOULD be true, in reality, that is not always the case.
That was my reasoning for not trying Lesco mowers for years.

But I finally got tired of dealing with the local yocals and was going to have to use an out of town dealer to get any decent support on a big name brand piece of equipment. So I said what the heck. I went and checked out another Lesco location and demoed a mower.

I bought on the spot, and frankly, I have found that both the mower and the service is superior. Lesco service after the sale makes the locals look bad from 80 miles away. Customer service response times are fast, parts availability is great, and parts delivery is convienent. Right to my doorstep the next day.

Rhett
08-21-2005, 03:04 PM
Look around and see if there is a shop that is an athorized service center. If there is a Lesco is not a bad mower. If not I would give it a pass. Only problem I have had with mine is it origanally had a 52 inch deck. After 2 seasons it was very flexible and the quality of cut was terrible. Put a 48 on it have been happy ever since.

wriken
08-21-2005, 04:48 PM

GEO

Me too, great mowers :)

specialtylc
08-21-2005, 11:22 PM
When I first started out in this business back in 1998, I bought a MTD Pro Z 54 and a 36 hydro WB.The Lesco,Cub Cadets are basically the same machines. We ran these for 3 years as our primary mowers. The WB is used as a backup and I use it at home. The Z we converted to a spray-fert machine. Neither has had any motor or hydro failures. But these mowers are not in the same league as their replacements. I do belive that Lesco/MTD has improved upon their cutting perfomance quite a bit since 1998.

Envy Lawn Service
08-21-2005, 11:36 PM
When I first started out in this business back in 1998, I bought a MTD Pro Z 54 and a 36 hydro WB.The Lesco,Cub Cadets are basically the same machines. We ran these for 3 years as our primary mowers. The WB is used as a backup and I use it at home. The Z we converted to a spray-fert machine. Neither has had any motor or hydro failures. But these mowers are not in the same league as their replacements. I do belive that Lesco/MTD has improved upon their cutting perfomance quite a bit since 1998.

Yes, they have improved the machines in several areas, including the cutting performance. The new black fabricated decks are great.

bretben55
08-21-2005, 11:36 PM
I bought a used Lesco WB with a fixed 48" deck. Came with 14HP Kawasaki motor and Peerless transmission.
I'm not sure how many hours are on the machine, but it starts up every time on the 2nd pull, and doesn't smoke or burn oil.
As far as the cut, I run doubles on the machine and am very happy with the quality of cut and the striping.

The machine feels very solid and the Lesco center 4 miles from my house carries all the main spare parts.

digg
08-21-2005, 11:59 PM

I have had my Z-Two 54 for 6 weeks now and the dealer has called me 3 times asking if I needed anything or had any problems.
The unit is very responsive, cuts well and leaves a nice stripe.
I am very Happy with my purchase.

Sir mowsalot
09-15-2005, 04:34 PM
I am going to demo one very soon. I did ask, and they do have an authorized service shop very close by. Someone had mentioned that parts delivery is there the next day, but i am not mechanically inclined so parts mean nothing to me if i cant fix anything, so its very important that i have a mechanic fix it, so i guess i should swing by this authorized shop and see what kinda outfit it is and if they are well stocked, becuase i gotta tell ya, i am seriously considering going with this machine. I tested alot of machines in the past several weeks, and quite frankly this lesco machine seems to be built quite solid. The service end of it, really is my only concern at this point until i demo it.

rodfather
09-15-2005, 05:34 PM
Thought Lesco just sold fert and seed...I have never seen a Lesco mower in my entire life.

Envy Lawn Service
09-15-2005, 06:28 PM
I am going to demo one very soon. I did ask, and they do have an authorized service shop very close by. Someone had mentioned that parts delivery is there the next day, but i am not mechanically inclined so parts mean nothing to me if i cant fix anything, so its very important that i have a mechanic fix it, so i guess i should swing by this authorized shop and see what kinda outfit it is and if they are well stocked, becuase i gotta tell ya, i am seriously considering going with this machine. I tested alot of machines in the past several weeks, and quite frankly this lesco machine seems to be built quite solid. The service end of it, really is my only concern at this point until i demo it.

Definately check the service end of it then. Go by, meet the manager and the mechanic, check out the facility and put them on the spot with questions. The one I deal with is small and the mechanic is only at that location a couple of days a week. (Just not a lot of repair work to do.)

Another trick you can use is that you can go on Lesco.com... pull up that service center and check their inventory. It will tell you what then have on hand. Belts, blades and so forth, wear items you would change would be what you would want to look at of course.... But frankly, they can get whatever they might not have quick. Whatever I need they get to me in a day or two... and I'm 80 miles from the service center I do business with.

You will learn there are a lot of conviences that come along with doing business at Lesco.

dvmcmrhp52
09-15-2005, 07:10 PM
Thought Lesco just sold fert and seed...I have never seen a Lesco mower in my entire life.

This is because you spend ENTIRELY too much time at your ferris dealer!
Next time you go to buy a little wonder blower at "Neighbors" you should take a look at some of the "other" equipment that is available out there............HaHa............. :drinkup:

wriken
09-15-2005, 07:19 PM

GEO
Me too :)
best of the best

lawncuttinfoo
09-15-2005, 11:31 PM
the Lesco service center in my area (the only one around, others are just sales) is only large LCO friendly. I brought my mower in for service and they said they would call me when it's done. After one week I go back and ask if they forgot to call, "no, I possibly can get to it today". I am a small company and do not yet have the money to have two full sized comercial machines, one to sit and do nothing unless the first goes down. So I say sorry I can not wait any longer I have to mow.
Three weeks later and the one quart a week oil loss is now one quart a day and I need service fast. They say "maybe in two weeks". I explain I am a small company and I ask if they could simply call me a day or two before they are ready to service so I can drop it off then. They look at me like I just asked them to donate their heart to science and the mobile operating unit is in the parking lot waiting. "One day service?!?" I respond that I do not know how they operate their business and if they can not do this that is ok. they say "FINE! write down your number"

So I open the yellow pages wondering if I can get lucky with a shop to service my lesco mower and I call up a shop that sells and services exmarks, I call at 3 PM and they say bring it in today and we will look at it before we close. I end up having to wait 1 day for parts to arrive but I recieve 2 calls in the meantime to update me on the progress. And 2 days fater I bring it in I am mowing.

Guess what lawnmower I will be purchasing next.

lawncuttinfoo
09-15-2005, 11:33 PM
Oh, by the way 2 and a half months later and no call. They must have misplaced my number. :laugh:

Envy Lawn Service
09-15-2005, 11:51 PM
the Lesco service center in my area (the only one around, others are just sales) is only large LCO friendly. I brought my mower in for service and they said they would call me when it's done. After one week I go back and ask if they forgot to call, "no, I possibly can get to it today". I am a small company and do not yet have the money to have two full sized comercial machines, one to sit and do nothing unless the first goes down. So I say sorry I can not wait any longer I have to mow.
Three weeks later and the one quart a week oil loss is now one quart a day and I need service fast. They say "maybe in two weeks". I explain I am a small company and I ask if they could simply call me a day or two before they are ready to service so I can drop it off then. They look at me like I just asked them to donate their heart to science and the mobile operating unit is in the parking lot waiting. "One day service?!?" I respond that I do not know how they operate their business and if they can not do this that is ok. they say "FINE! write down your number"

So I open the yellow pages wondering if I can get lucky with a shop to service my lesco mower and I call up a shop that sells and services exmarks, I call at 3 PM and they say bring it in today and we will look at it before we close. I end up having to wait 1 day for parts to arrive but I recieve 2 calls in the meantime to update me on the progress. And 2 days fater I bring it in I am mowing.

Guess what lawnmower I will be purchasing next.

Well I guess it's sorta like different dealerships = different service. My service has been pretty much opposite of that. I guess the manager of that shop feels they have enough business that they don't need to be converned with yours...

Anyways, you can't just take that kind of treatment lying down. When something like that happens, you take it one step up the ladder and get in touch with someone else. With Lesco, this should work even better than it would anywhere else... because the people at the shop are actually Lesco EMPLOYEES and have a boss to answer to.

Lesco also have a forum here. Take your complaint over there and tell them about it. I'm sure they would want to know how their employees are treating you.

Steppenwolf
09-16-2005, 12:55 AM
Robby, you have chosen not to accept private contact,fine. I would recommend you stay away from Lesco mowers.Have you ever seen a Lesco mechanic when at their shop? I have once,maybe he was,may have been just a customer looking around. Where you are located the Tri county store is a long way. You are better off with Herberts or Klie's. I am not saying Lesco is bad but in our area you should stay local...catch my drift.

Bill

Grass King
09-16-2005, 02:55 AM
Lesco is made by the same company that makes Cub Cadet, which is MTD. If you look at Cub and Lesco they look the same. Except one is green and the other is yellow and black.

Envy Lawn Service
09-18-2005, 12:13 AM
CPE (Commercial Power Equipment) actually manufactures both Cub and Lesco commercial mowers.

Kelly's Landscaping
09-18-2005, 12:21 AM
No dealer support in my area at all and the last 4 managers have been morons. I could never risk it I own a lesco lawn renovator with a 8hp kawi engine I figured I could have them get me a new air filter mine had oil in it and was filthy. 3 trips and no closer to finding this odd part# useless was all I could say for them I ended up having my Exmark dealer who does not sell lesco research the filters and order me them.

robby
09-18-2005, 12:37 AM
Robby, you have chosen not to accept private contact,fine. I would recommend you stay away from Lesco mowers.Have you ever seen a Lesco mechanic when at their shop? I have once,maybe he was,may have been just a customer looking around. Where you are located the Tri county store is a long way. You are better off with Herberts or Klie's. I am not saying Lesco is bad but in our area you should stay local...catch my drift.

Bill
Hey Bill :) sorry about the private message thing. I have no idea why my account doesnt allow private messages either way. I guess I probably need to go back and adjust some settings.
As far as the Lesco goes, last week I found a demo Exmark at the Herbert store and bought that instead. I actually dont live in Harrison, but in West Chester, quite close to the Lesco store. I too have never seen a mechanic there, but I dont get there too often.
So far I love the Exmarks handling and cut

. Its kinda weird though how the Deere dealers around here no longer even will sell the Deere brand commercial walk behinds. Both major Deere dealerships told me that they were very unhappy with the newer models and found them to be not at all up to par with the competitors. So now Herberts sells Exmarks and Buchanans sells Gravelys.
I still look around to find LCOs around here using Lesco mowers, but still cant find hardly any.

Envy Lawn Service
09-18-2005, 02:00 AM
Wow, sounds like some of the Lesco locations are VERY POORLY MANAGED.

That's a real shame because dealing with a good Lesco location can be a really good experience.
So far, my experiece with them has been pretty much opposite aside from some mis-communication about model options before I bought mine. On the other hand, the "local dealer" experience has been rather similar to some of the stuff I have read here.... and that's why I went with Lesco instead...

geogunn
09-18-2005, 02:16 AM
No dealer support in my area at all and the last 4 managers have been morons. I could never risk it I own a lesco lawn renovator with a 8hp kawi engine I figured I could have them get me a new air filter mine had oil in it and was filthy. 3 trips and no closer to finding this odd part# useless was all I could say for them I ended up having my Exmark dealer who does not sell lesco research the filters and order me them.

sir--are you speaking ebonics?

GEO

MOOSE
09-18-2005, 05:27 PM
Everyone has there opinions on different mowers. Myself dislike the Exmark. But Lesco does make a good mower. And I have never had to goto the dealer for anything. Most parts are similar to Scag or other mowers. Spindles I have rebuilt with scag bearings. anything else is comparable to some other machine. The picture I'am posting is of a lawn we cut last year with a 1991 48" belt driven Lesco.

Kelly's Landscaping
09-18-2005, 05:52 PM
sir--are you speaking ebonics?

GEO

Little choppy perhaps but nowhere near ebonics level. Personally proper grammar is over rated but I do make the effort to at least try just for you GEO. Little hard though when I went though school they had dropped the whole phonics system and went with memorization methods I kid you not. Talk about a disservice to my generation in that school system.

I guess I was being too nice about the topic in truth my experience with lesco has been they suck. Happiest day I ever had working for my past boss was when we got our first lazer Z and I got to get off the 52 inch lesco hydro he had.

VnDrWLawnCare
09-18-2005, 11:20 PM
Overall my 48" hydro has been a pretty good machine. I have never had any problems with the machine itself except for the engine, and that was a Kawasaki. Kohler on there now and no problems. I think the machines stripe very nice and are very well built. If it were not for all my engine problems, i really had no reason to step back into a service facility except for front caster bushings- minor easy fix.

I have sinced bought a 50" DC so i dont have to walk so much, i honestly think most all my yards look worse than they have in previous years now that i ride everything. I still have the 48" and think i should go back to using it more- overall more pleased with the end product unless the property is very large.

Kransco
09-18-2005, 11:24 PM
I have a Lesco rider for my avg accounts and a Walker 26h 48 deck for my special accounts. The Lesco has great power and is much better on hills than the Walker. Cuts a nice looking lawn with the mulch kit.

Envy Lawn Service
09-18-2005, 11:28 PM
I guess I was being too nice about the topic in truth my experience with lesco has been they suck. Happiest day I ever had working for my past boss was when we got our first lazer Z and I got to get off the 52 inch lesco hydro he had.

Well geez... who wouldn't be happy as a lark to start 'riding' a Lazer Z as opposed to running a fixed deck walkbehind.... especially if someone else was paying for it, and paying you to operate it.

That was probably a good day, no doubt.

Envy Lawn Service
09-18-2005, 11:32 PM
I have a Lesco rider for my avg accounts and a Walker 26h 48 deck for my special accounts. The Lesco has great power and is much better on hills than the Walker. Cuts a nice looking lawn with the mulch kit.

Yeah, I'm running the mulch kit right now too and it's doing well. What blades do you run with it on? Yeah, they are very good on hills as well. The only time I ever slip is going down.

What size cut did you get?

Kransco
09-18-2005, 11:58 PM
I have the 72" deck. It makes for a quick mow. I am considering buying one of the walk behind hydros for my clean-up properties.

Envy Lawn Service
09-19-2005, 01:07 AM
Yeah, I bet it does get'er done with the 72" deck and 33hp Generac.
What's the fuel usage like?

Another guy here has the 72" and says it does really well on hills too.
I imagine it MUST because my 60" does and it's not even the wide track.
I wish it was though, because it would be more turf friendly when turning.

As for the walks... yeah they are nice and priced well too.
Finally they have a walk with the same deck design as the Z's and it floats too!