PDA

View Full Version : are there any yard owners here?

WFMJenny
08-21-2005, 01:37 PM
I am a medium sized yard owner, but do not have an accompanying landscaping business. I would love to talk to other yard owners and be able to bounce ideas off of each other.

bobbygedd
08-21-2005, 09:18 PM
what is a yard owner?

eakern
08-21-2005, 09:27 PM
I have a friend who is a yard owner. I let her know about this site and the new forum in hopes that she will join. What kind of supplies do you have on your yard ?

WFMJenny
08-21-2005, 10:15 PM
We carry decorative gravels, construction gravel, mulch, flagstone, outcropping, boulders, concrete retaining walls, natural stone for walls, concrete pavers, construction block, construction cement, cutured stone, pond products, and probably alot more that I can't think of right now.

Wolfie's L&L
08-21-2005, 10:27 PM
I think we're all yard owners, aren't we? Unless we live in the city maybe.

bobbygedd
08-21-2005, 10:42 PM
ok, so a yard owner, sells landscape supplies? is this profitable? i always wondered how much my supplier pays for stone. i get 3/4" red for $32 a ton, what does it cost you to buy it in bulk, for resale?

i_plant_art
08-21-2005, 10:52 PM
they are talking about being a "mulch yard" "stone yard" "supply yard" etc etc not being a grass yard owner duh look and see what the forum is and thing about it.

WFMJenny
08-22-2005, 12:16 AM
The markup or margin depends completely on the product and the demand. I can't really give you an idea on the stone you referenced as to get something like that by me there would be alot of frieght added that reflects on the cost. In general around my area construction gravels are in the 14-20 dollars per ton and decorative gravels between $60 and $150 per ton.

I can tell you that there can be alot of money in yards, but if you get into a very involved yard you have alot of expenses too.

Indiana
08-23-2005, 12:16 AM
I have given it alot of thought to open a supply yard in my area, but not done so yet.

Imulchmore
08-23-2005, 04:43 PM
I own a mulch and landscape supply yard in Chester County, Pa. We sell mulch, decorative gravel, clean stone, modified stone, top soil, firewood. In the winter we sell rock salt bulk and bagged, calcium chloride bagged only and snow shovels. During December we sell Christmas trees and the such.

jd boy
08-24-2005, 04:13 PM
jenny-

I love the notion of this type of business, but in nw ohio there is a lot of quarries. do you have the same, and if so how do you compete with them? Here, supprisingly, they will sell directly to the homeowners. this obviously makes it hard to retail, or even re-wholesale any type of rock material.

WFMJenny
08-24-2005, 05:51 PM
There are probably four quaries within a forty minute drive from us. We do not find them to be competition. Landscapers will pay the higher price at us rather then drive the forty minutes to get to a pit. Also quarries do not sell the decorative gravels and flagstones that we sell so people keep coming in for that and find our location to be a one stop shop.

Imulchmore
08-26-2005, 10:39 AM
Our quarries here will not sell to the average joe. heck they wont even dump stone into anything less than a f-350 and even then they rag on you. :rolleyes:

n2h20
08-28-2005, 02:52 PM
at my yard there is a landscape supply yard// they run about 4 trucks that are constantly delivery supplies. must be a good business if there is work to support it

zosoruins
09-14-2005, 09:30 AM
The money in supply yards is certainly in volume. Unless you hit the lottery and own a place with no competition locally you are in a constant price war on everything you sell.

Because of that margins on sales are extremely low. It is alot of work and overhead for not a ton of money. The trick is to sell more than just bulk items. Your location will be the main factor for what you sell.