PDA

View Full Version : going from pistol grip to ecs type grip

robby
08-21-2005, 03:04 PM
I'm thinking about getting rid of the pistol grip on my next mower purchase but wondering what adjustments i may be in for. What i like about the pistol grips is that i can always lean back on them when needed to lift the front deck to jump over obstacles in the yards or to jump curbs to enter yards. When using the exmark type grip or new Lesco grip i can see how it will be impossible to lift the front deck same as with the pistols. So is it hard to crawl over curbs with the ecs, or do you just need to go real slow when jumping them? The lesco dealer told me that he knew one company that made these little "ramps" that they ran the mowers over to go from the road level into the yards. But i really dont want to have to take the time to use such a thing. I want to be able to crank the mower and get mowing asap. I want an easier grip for my wrists, but I dont want to run into a whole new set of problems.

Scottish LScape
08-21-2005, 03:13 PM
The ecs grips are 100X's better. My 2 cents. I run 2 exmarks with them. A little more effort to lift your mower over things (curbs, belgium blocks, etc.) but not that much of a difference. I haven't tried the Lesco grips, but it looks alot like the same setup. Get a demo model with the ecs handles from your dealer, and try it 1st hand, I think you'll be happy.
Good luck

grassyfras
08-21-2005, 03:15 PM
I have an ecs hydro. Yesterday I was helping the lawngodfather with some lawns and had to use a pistol grip. It felt to akward and uncomfortable. ECs much easier on the hands. I also have an older exmark with the pistol grips and I'm selling the thing cause it never gets used. Peace

robby
08-21-2005, 03:25 PM
I have no doubt that the new grip will be much easier on my wrists, but i'm still wondering how I adjust to not being able to hop over tree roots or stepping stones or the other things that always seem to be in the way but can be handled by just lifting up the front deck a lil as to not destroy your blades. Going around them totally seems to be the other option, but that leads to additional trimming which = additional time spent on the yard.

rodfather
08-21-2005, 03:58 PM
What's the big deal with pistol grips? I have personally been using them full time now for 11 years and have no problems with them on our Ferris machines, nor by my employees for that matter. Hell, and I'm 50!!!

Don't tell me LS is filling up with a bunch of pansies and wussies!?!?!? :rolleyes:

mcwlandscaping
08-21-2005, 04:01 PM
Go and demo one, thats the only way that you will know for sure if it will work for you. Good Luck

bam
08-21-2005, 04:13 PM
it is no more difficult to lift the ecs versus the pistol grip we have 20 machines with the ecs, and i have yet to hear a complaint.

or cut down 2 pieces of a 4x4 and place it next to the curb and throw it on the top of the deck when you dont need them.

Mower For Less
08-22-2005, 12:11 AM
I can wheelie my 36" TTHP and Metro HP both with ECS anywhere on command. Its not that hard at all.

Kevin

i_plant_art
08-22-2005, 12:32 AM
do u currently have an exmark machine? if its in good shape then why get a new one for the ECS just buy the conversion kit from exmark...... i love the ECS as soon as i bought my fisrt ECS everything got traded in for new mowers just b/c of the ECS no more complaints about hands/wrists hurting no more "grabbing /naggin things with the handles. they are just awsome..... getting over curbs is just as easy as welll.

lawnworker
08-22-2005, 12:41 AM
Going up hill or on flat ground, lifting will not be a problem. Pointed down a hill, the ecs becomes harder to lift. Over all the ecs is easier then pistil grip on arm fatigue.

fourseasonlawns
08-22-2005, 12:55 AM
they take a little getting familiar with. I like having my hands on top of the mower, rather than the sides, so when you are turning in a tight corner or running tight against the fence, you won't bust your knuckles. those i've talked to personally, newbies like 'em and old schoolers don't want to change.

yrdandgardenhandyman
08-22-2005, 02:00 AM
I'm thinking about getting rid of the pistol grip on my next mower purchase but wondering what adjustments i may be in for. What i like about the pistol grips is that i can always lean back on them when needed to lift the front deck to jump over obstacles in the yards or to jump curbs to enter yards. When using the exmark type grip or new Lesco grip i can see how it will be impossible to lift the front deck same as with the pistols. So is it hard to crawl over curbs with the ecs, or do you just need to go real slow when jumping them? The lesco dealer told me that he knew one company that made these little "ramps" that they ran the mowers over to go from the road level into the yards. But i really dont want to have to take the time to use such a thing. I want to be able to crank the mower and get mowing asap. I want an easier grip for my wrists, but I dont want to run into a whole new set of problems.

As you aproach the obstacle, give the walk behind hell and the front will lift on its own. T-bar, ECS is 1000 times better than pistol grips. So much easier on the wrists.

nobagger
08-22-2005, 08:21 AM
I can wheelie my 36" TTHP and Metro HP both with ECS anywhere on command. Its not that hard at all.

Kevin
Same here, I think its much more comfortable also. After mowing for a few hours my wrists seem to ache for hours after using my Viking w/ pistol grips but I could use my 36" metro hp fpr hours w/o any pain. Not to mention the fact that your hands are in and out of the way vs. pistol grips.

MTR
08-22-2005, 01:51 PM
Folks....FYI, I just sold my start-up eXmark 36" Metro , pistol 12.5 kawi yesterday! Gone and forever gear and PISTOL grip in this life. Not bad, it had served me and got me started 3 years ago. Life is much better.... :blob3: Now you can debate whatever about pistol, see yah...bye bye.
ECS rules......

naturescape
08-22-2005, 02:27 PM
What's the big deal with pistol grips? I have personally been using them full time now for 11 years and have no problems with them on our Ferris machines, nor by my employees for that matter. Hell, and I'm 50!!!

Don't tell me LS is filling up with a bunch of pansies and wussies!?!?!? :rolleyes:

I'm sure you walk instead of riding a sulky too, since it's the more "manly" thing to do.

rodfather
08-22-2005, 06:01 PM
I'm sure you walk instead of riding a sulky too, since it's the more "manly" thing to do.

Walk? You're kiddin', right? If it ain't got a velke, I don't use it. Period

Precision
08-22-2005, 09:06 PM

filling up. I thought we already had a whole wing.

and why run the risk of osha backed lawsuits against carpal tunnel. For the extra couple of hundred you get much more production and you don't have to fiddle with them all the time.

robby
08-22-2005, 09:30 PM

I am feelin a bit pansyish now that you mention it! Ive used pistol grips for the last 10 years or so and never had much probs til this season. But part of the reason is that i'm mowing more yards now than I ever have. Plus the fact that i'm using belt drive and not hydro may play a part. Plus it tends to bother me more when i'm goin too fast and have to hang on a lil tighter to the mower to control it. All the bouncing at high speeds. I'm currently running a JD. I hope to demo one of the other grips before buying. But after looking at the Lesco model with the odd grip, I cant imagine how there is anyway to get the deck to lift off the ground. Even the dealer said there is no way. I think the Lesco grip may be slightly enough different from the exmark grip to not allow as easy of lifting of the front deck. one of these days when I get some free time i'm gonna try to get out and test out some different models.

Mower For Less
08-22-2005, 10:14 PM
I hope to demo one of the other grips before buying. But after looking at the Lesco model with the odd grip, I cant imagine how there is anyway to get the deck to lift off the ground. Even the dealer said there is no way. I think the Lesco grip may be slightly enough different from the exmark grip to not allow as easy of lifting of the front deck.

I was just at Lesco today and they had a hydro on the floor. The grips are better than pistols, but I still like my ECS much better. The Lesco controls were further forward, and it didnt look like you could get nearly the same kind of leverage you could with pistols or even ECS.

Kevin

hustlers
08-22-2005, 10:41 PM
just bought a new lesco 17hp 48 inch hydro walk behind for $3550, wandering what ya ll paid the same in exmark

Flex-Deck
08-22-2005, 11:05 PM
I have the ecs grips on an eXmark 36 viking, and I think they are jerky as heck. Is there a way to tone down the sudden reaction to the hydros so the moves are not so sudden? Seems like a hydo should be smooth in the transition from forward to neutral to reverse. Mine is just like "wham" - stop - 'wham" reverse etc. Thanks, Brad

Mower For Less
08-22-2005, 11:33 PM
just bought a new lesco 17hp 48 inch hydro walk behind for $3550, wandering what ya ll paid the same in exmark

48" Exmark runs ~ $1000 higher.

Kevin

lawncuttinfoo
11-15-2005, 01:51 PM
I used lesco pistol's for 2 years now I have a 48" turf tracer WB with ecs. To answer your question, yes it is a bit harder you do not have exactly the same leverage angle to wheelie the fromt end, you have to grip the bar in an akward angle so you don't throw the throttle into full reverse when you grip the bars,(I guessing with belt drive this would not be a problem since revearse is a different control) I have to lift the front many times daily so the bottom does not scrape my trailer, it took a few weeks but now its second nature.

But I am glad I got the 48" over the 52" the added weight up front makes it very difficult to lift the front I weigh 160 lbs and sometimes when the machine is moving backward already I need to lean my entire weight on the ecs bar ( feet off the ground) to pop the front end. If the machine is completly stoped then I do not need to do this.

One draw back with the ecs and lighter front ends like the 48" and smaller is that if you are going full speed and you hit a bump like a raised sidewalk or tree root, the front end will buck and you will either nail your stomach or knees on the ecs bar since you do not have the open area that pistols have. It only takes a few times and you learn quick to slow down for certain parts of a lawn.

TJLC
11-15-2005, 06:34 PM
I ran pistol grips for about the first 3 yrs in business. Then I bought 2 TTHP's with the new Ecs controls and have used them now since 2003. The Ecs controls are a real nice improvement over the old pistols, IMHO.