PDA

View Full Version : Potential Pita

6'7 330
08-21-2005, 03:30 PM
You have given an estimate and the proposal is agreeable to the prospective customer. It is all set to go and the account will pay well. Later on, you happen to find out another company has dumped the people for being a pain in the ass.They did pay, but complain to the extreme; the type that come out and watch your crew’s every move. Their complaints would be outrageous and about the most trivial of things.

Would you take on the job of maintaining this property anyway? Or take it on a wait and see Basis with the attitude, you have superior people skills and workers, and will be the very first landscaper to make these people happy.

It will be interesting seeing what the consensus is of this subject.

bobbygedd
08-21-2005, 03:40 PM
yes i would. you have nothing to lose. i have taken accounts on, where the former lco told me that the client was impossible, and i have had no problems. sometimes, customers are like kids, they know who they can push around, and they will. i refuse to be pushed around, and they sense that. take em

olderthandirt
08-21-2005, 03:47 PM
Nothing ventured nothing gained. Its all a game ,sometimes you win and sometimes you loose but if you did not take them on then you already lost

Scotts' Yard Care
08-21-2005, 03:50 PM
this can really work out well if you do excellent work and they've pissed off every other service around and you're the last resort. :D We had a total PITA that we finally dropped because of complaints like mowing height for instance. Our mowers at the time had a half inch difference between settings
and our first setting was too short and the next setting was too tall :rolleyes: She also did not want a large walk behind or rider used on her lawn. The guys that have it now mow at a reasonable height and use large deck mowers :D She has kept them for a few years now so I assume they were her last resort and she didn't want to have to mow it herself.

rodfather
08-21-2005, 04:23 PM
Nothing ventured nothing gained.

I concur, plus you never know what other company services might be asked of you.

QualityLawnCare4u
08-21-2005, 05:33 PM
I would give them a try and see. They may think you are the greatest LCO that ever was. Also like the above posters said you may be their "last chance" LCO before doing it themselves. BTW, I took on one this past spring that her husband had warned me has been threw 4 or 5 other LCO. First week started nit picking when I got thru about this and that. I quickly thanked her for her patronage and told her to find someone else. She quickly shut up and said "but at least you did show up, I want to keep you" and has been and ok client since then and its been 6 months so far.

meathead1134
08-21-2005, 05:39 PM
Found out who serviced this property prior to you and if you can call them and ask them about this (potential customer) give it a shot you have really nothing to lose. Speak with the customer find out their likes and dislikes and work from there.

Ric
08-21-2005, 06:29 PM
It will be interesting seeing what the consensus is of this subject.

I think an consensus has been reached. Therefore Lets sweeten the pot and Add. YOU JUST SIGNED A SEASON LONG CONTRACT WITH THESE PEOPLE. He is a big time lawyer and his wife is a real PITA. He is tired of Listening to her and changing companies. He feels your Company can do the job and won't let you off the hook. He has the means and gull to drag you to court and make life miserable. BTW he is willing to pay a little of a sur charge for this extra treatment but not enough to cover real costs. He charges more per hour than you do all month. They will be drinking Don Perion at the club tonight while they complain to their friends what a high bidder you are.

Lawn Masters
08-21-2005, 06:31 PM
I'd take a chance, you might be able to do things the previous lco couldnt do, and my not get any complaints from the customer, which may make them very happy, or they may just be nitpickers that will find a flaw in EVERYTHING no matter who does it.

olderthandirt
08-21-2005, 06:39 PM
I think an consensus has been reached. Therefore Lets sweeten the pot and Add. YOU JUST SIGNED A SEASON LONG CONTRACT WITH THESE PEOPLE. He is a big time lawyer and his wife is a real PITA. He is tired of Listening to her and changing companies. He feels your Company can do the job and won't let you off the hook. He has the means and gull to drag you to court and make life miserable. BTW he is willing to pay a little of a sur charge for this extra treatment but not enough to cover real costs. He charges more per hour than you do all month. They will be drinking Don Perion at the club tonight while they complain to their friends what a high bidder you are.
Sweeten the pot all he wants, if he signed MY contract for season long contract he will follow it like anyone else. If he breaks it and I go to court he is responsible for all cost. So he may have the gall and make my life miserable in the mean time I can make his house and property look just as miserable and when were done I'm still not gonna pay for anything. It pays to have an attorney draw up your contracts and then have them reviewed by 2 different law firms to look for loop holes :D BTW- My contract say I may drop a customer with a 15 days written notice for due cause and verbal abuse or petty request are considered due cause.

6'7 330
08-21-2005, 06:51 PM
I refer these type situations when confronted by high-powered shysters, to the law firm of Goldstein, Caber, and Hammer….legwork done by the firm of Leroy of the Southside of Chicago

Ric
08-21-2005, 07:19 PM
I refer these type situations when confronted by high-powered shysters, to the law firm of Goldstein, Caber, and Hammer….legwork done by the firm of Leroy of the Southside of Chicago

Bill

That works for me. ROFLMAO

Lux Lawn
08-21-2005, 07:40 PM
I would take them on no problem.What happened with the other company may not happen again.

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-21-2005, 07:59 PM
Nothing ventured nothing gained. Its all a game ,sometimes you win and sometimes you loose but if you did not take them on then you already lost
I'm with old'dirt on this one. Besides, the complaints with the other lco may have been justified. Just do the top quality work you've agreed to and see how they like it.
Good luck :)

Scotts' Yard Care
08-21-2005, 08:19 PM
you guys should mention lawyers :D One of our best customers was a lawyer and his wife. For some very sad reasons due to unexpected illness and a move we no longer cut for them but they're truly missed. We had the lawyer do some legal work for us and he was great. Hard to believe but there are some decent people practicing law out there :D