PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Viking 36' or 48" for Hilly Properties

Lee Roy
08-21-2005, 05:47 PM
I am thinking about buying an Exmark Viking 36" or 48". I mow mostly hilly properties. How are these machines for uneven terrain? Any problems with 20 - 25 degree slopes?

Roger
08-21-2005, 11:11 PM
I have an Exmark Viking 36" machine. It is the only w/b I've owned, so my base of experience is very limited. I think it does well on slopes, but I cannot give you angles (haven't measured them, and don't want to guess). My machine is very light in the front, so tipping backward can be a problem. That may be an advantage in some circumstances, such as making turns at the top of a slope. I pull a BullRider sulky and the added load of the sulky makes an upward slope a challenge (need to step off and walk).

south jerz
08-22-2005, 12:42 PM
and go with a Turf Tracer. More expensive but has a floating deck which is made for hills and is just a better mower overall. Floating is better all-around because if you are cutting too fast with fixed you can scalp the ground on flat but bumpy soil.

MTR
08-22-2005, 01:55 PM
TTHP all the way, no more fixed deck. When changing height, you will thank a million TTHP. Go hydro, no substitute for hill climbing and mowing.

nobagger
08-22-2005, 02:01 PM
I am thinking about buying an Exmark Viking 36" or 48". I mow mostly hilly properties. How are these machines for uneven terrain? Any problems with 20 - 25 degree slopes?
Lee Roy, go with a floating deck design if you have hilly properties. I have about three and two of them are very "hilly" and I used my 48" Viking on one and it scalped in a few places and the homeowners were not too pleased. I switched to our 36" Metro HP (floating deck) and we have not had any problems since. And if you can swing it get a 36" Turf Tracer HP its well worth it!

lawnworker
08-22-2005, 04:43 PM
The 38 tthp or the 48 tthp will do what you need. Its your choice based on gates and things.

Lee Roy
08-22-2005, 09:34 PM
Thanks for all your advise.