PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone thought about using an Electric winch on a gated trailer.

Lawn Wolf
08-21-2005, 05:01 PM
I've seen the lift assist spring for a gated trailer. I was wondering if anyone has thought about putting an electric winch the same way you rig up a spring assist . I've seen some cheap electric winch at harbor for 39 bucks and it's cheaper then the spring one.

bob
08-21-2005, 05:05 PM
It would probably be too slow.

Lawn Wolf
08-21-2005, 05:23 PM
It would probably be too slow.

Yeah true. But what's a few seconds vs a couple minutes. Plus the fact that at the end of the day your exhausted and the power helps...

South Florida Lawns
08-21-2005, 06:16 PM
I use it when stuck in the rocks. Got the fastest line pull of any warn winch. You can find fast winches out there and that would be a great idea.

WWW.WARN.COM

Varsity L&G
08-21-2005, 06:34 PM
Buy a hardware store type winch and be unhappy. If it is jest for the trailer Get a WARN ATV winch 6k lb or so.

Everything else out there is just SSSSLLLLLLLOOOOOOWWWWW!

South Florida Lawns: Where do you ride on the rocks in FL? From SC here and are always in Tellico for holidays.

South Florida Lawns
08-21-2005, 06:38 PM
Except in old mines, Phosphate and Limestone pits are where we get some good wheeling. But I love going to Tellico and hitting up the trails there.

olderthandirt
08-21-2005, 06:54 PM
I've seen the lift assist spring for a gated trailer. I was wondering if anyone has thought about putting an electric winch the same way you rig up a spring assist . I've seen some cheap electric winch at harbor for 39 bucks and it's cheaper then the spring one.
Electric garage door opener bolted on the side rail with the end hooked to a chain on the gate. Hit the button as your getting out of your truck and by the time you walk to the back its about down :)
All you need is an inverter mounted under the hood or in the cab to convert 12 volts to 110

Lazer_Z
08-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Electric garage door opener bolted on the side rail with the end hooked to a chain on the gate. Hit the button as your getting out of your truck and by the time you walk to the back its about down :)
All you need is an inverter mounted under the hood or in the cab to convert 12 volts to 110
So judging by your name "OTD" I take it you have this set up on you trailer?

I knew you were more than just "old" Mac lol j/k. Your as smart as they come.

Rob

start2finish
08-21-2005, 09:02 PM
Saw a homemade spring assist on a landscape trailer. Get a garage door spring and attach to the gate and on the side rail of trailer. Put a piece of channel over the spring to stop pinches and to protect the spring itself. Mount the end on the trailer far enough towards the tounge to make the tension enough to help you.

If you can get the spring second hand this should cost $74 or so with a few hours invested

DLCS
08-21-2005, 10:00 PM
We have a company here that uses a winch to lift, lower the trailer gate. Their gate is bifold though and I would imagine heavy.

PLM-1
08-21-2005, 10:30 PM
Why not a hand winch, like one that is used on boat trailers? It's easy turnin' and you get some exercise! :D

Jason Rose
08-21-2005, 11:00 PM
I have seen one, but it was a few years back and I never got to inspect it up close... All I remember was that he has a battery in a box on the fender and he would push a button and the gate went down, another button and it went up. It has long since been out of service. Some day when I run into him I need to ask about it. It seemed neat, but maybe it just wasn't practical?

I know of Hydraulic gates, Like on the big box trucks with ramps and the Dump and Go truck.

Springs just seem so much more practical... no electrical, or really any moving parts to ever fail. If you get the springs set up correctly they can carry 95% of the weight of the gate. My old trailer I was able to push the gate down and catch it with my foot just to keep it from hitting the ground hard, and to raise it I'd just use my foot and kick it up about half way and then use my hand to nudge it the rest of the way.

I have yet to work this out on my bigger trailer. The gate is heavier and one spring on one side only takes about half to 60% of the weight. After opening and closing it so many times I never give it much thought anymore...

Lawn Wolf
08-21-2005, 11:05 PM
I have seen one, but it was a few years back and I never got to inspect it up close... All I remember was that he has a battery in a box on the fender and he would push a button and the gate went down, another button and it went up. It has long since been out of service. Some day when I run into him I need to ask about it. It seemed neat, but maybe it just wasn't practical?

I know of Hydraulic gates, Like on the big box trucks with ramps and the Dump and Go truck.

Springs just seem so much more practical... no electrical, or really any moving parts to ever fail. If you get the springs set up correctly they can carry 95% of the weight of the gate. My old trailer I was able to push the gate down and catch it with my foot just to keep it from hitting the ground hard, and to raise it I'd just use my foot and kick it up about half way and then use my hand to nudge it the rest of the way.

I have yet to work this out on my bigger trailer. The gate is heavier and one spring on one side only takes about half to 60% of the weight. After opening and closing it so many times I never give it much thought anymore...

Sounds like spring assist it is. I've seen them on open trailers, the question now is do they make it for 4' fenced all the way around.

shortgut
08-21-2005, 11:08 PM
Or you might be able to split the gate down the middle and not have to lift the whole thing at one time Just a thought :waving:

Lawn Wolf
08-21-2005, 11:27 PM
Or you might be able to split the gate down the middle and not have to lift the whole thing at one time Just a thought :waving:

That's true, maybe if I buy one of those cut off machines the firemen uses to cut cars in half with and make 4 slices on the gate I'd only be lifting a 1/4 of the weight and I'm not trying to be sarcastic on this one... :D

Jason Rose
08-21-2005, 11:38 PM
Sounds like spring assist it is. I've seen them on open trailers, the question now is do they make it for 4' fenced all the way around.

Check out an enclosed with a ramp for the back door. They all have springs somewhere overhead and then cables that hook to the top of the ramp. I would THINK that if you have 4 foor sides you could put your spring(s) on the top and just connect the cables to the gate level with the sides. The only catch is that the springs would have to be hooked pretty far up the trailer side and would have to be long enough to travel that long of a distance. Enginering would definnately be in order... I know most kits I have seen say specifically that the sides have to be between X and X high. Usually like 8 to 18 inches, or something like that.

greywynd
08-21-2005, 11:52 PM
If any of you are near dealers that have horse trailers, a lot of them have spring assisted ramps. Can't remember which make, but there's one that uses a heavy spring down near the hinge, one end fastened to the trailer, one to the ramp (springs on each side). Our current trailers don't have this setup, so I can't do a pic (camera's in the shop right now anyway), but maybe someone else can find something for us?

dwc
08-22-2005, 10:39 PM
I have a warn winch mounted on my enclosed ramp door. The door weighs probably around 200-250lbs and the winch will raise or lower it in under 30 seconds. Saves my back a lot! I will try to take a couple pics of it. I will tell you don't waste your money on a cheap winch. I had a cheap one first and it would not keep up with raising and lowering the ramp a dozen times or so a day. I got the warn at tractor supply and its really nice.
http://warn.com/works/dcwinches/DC1700.shtml

tawilson1152
08-23-2005, 08:25 AM
I left my ramps on my equipment trailer and connected them with some angle iron and expanded metal, then put two of those hinge mounted springs on. Just enough weight to keep the ramp down. Actually, I had the springs on just the ramps before the mod, and they kept picking them up.