PDA

View Full Version : Fall Overseeding

zinkjo
08-21-2005, 05:31 PM
I'm adding fall overseeding to my services provided this year.
I've already purchased a Plugr aerator and blueBird powerrake w/seeder attachment.
My plan is to dethatch with the bluebird then aerate and then overseed/slice seed with the blue bird.
Where should I get the seed? I've been dealing with Lesco for fertilizer and weed control, but never tried their seed. I'm looking to overseed with tall fescue. Any suggestions on seed or where to purchase?

thanks.

ProLawns
08-21-2005, 05:49 PM
Lesco sells seed. I've used their Tri-Gold blend of fescue for the last two years and had good results. I might try a different brand this year something that can withstand the summer stress better.

Mower For Less
08-21-2005, 11:08 PM
I'm looking to overseed with tall fescue.

You should not overseed tall fescue into anything but a tall fescue lawn. Try a contractor mix of blue/rye/fescue for general overseeding.

And Lesco has good seed.

Kevin

turfcobob
08-22-2005, 09:50 AM
You say you are going to aerate then power rake or dethatch the lawn?

I advise that you check the lawn for thatch first. More than .5 inch could cause you problems in the long run. Get rid of it first. Then aerate, seed and stir it in with the power rake. By power raking last you sill stir up the seed with dirt and move some of them to the holes. The more holes the better. At least 12 per sq. ft.
What kind of blades are on the rake? fixed or flail. Fixed give the best cutting action for seeding and cutting slits while the flial are just for general detatching and do not do a good job of opening up the soil.

Just keep in mind that in cool season grasses like blue and fescue that more than .5 inches of thatch is trouble.

Turfcobob