PDA

View Full Version : Double cutting

J-Dubb
08-21-2005, 06:34 PM
Can someone explain the concept, technique and advantages of "double cutting"? Is it worth the time?

lawnmaniac883
08-21-2005, 06:37 PM
Double cutting is where you make one complete pass, turn around, and make that same pass again. Advantages are a better cut for one, two you clean up all the stringers left behind that were not cut, three, you chop the rest of the clippings up. Down here on my st.augustine lawns, it is essential. Makes the lawn look like a carpet.

J-Dubb
08-21-2005, 06:43 PM
Do you mow it at the same length or raise the deck a little? I spoke with a local who said he raises his deck 1/2" for the second cut. Does it lay a better stripe?

justgeorge
08-21-2005, 06:46 PM
Do you mow it at the same length or raise the deck a little? I spoke with a local who said he raises his deck 1/2" for the second cut. Does it lay a better stripe?
I've only had to do it a couple of times, but leave the deck the same height. If you raise the deck you're still going to have some stringers that are taller than everything else.

lawnmaniac883
08-21-2005, 06:49 PM
Down here, we cant stripe st.augustine, but I dont raise the deck either.

08-21-2005, 06:56 PM
we raise the deck up for are #2 cut

KenH
08-21-2005, 07:06 PM
When I have to double cut, I cut the entire prop., then cut it again, in a different direction.

HighGrass
08-21-2005, 07:26 PM
If I double cut it's for two reasons.

1-If the first cut is a little shaggy, then i'll go back and do it again...same rows, same direction, same height.

2-If I have some clumps or the cut grass discharge is really heavy, I'll do it again but I'll raise the deck 1/2"-1". This desperses any clumps or heavy grass.

The Ripper
08-21-2005, 07:33 PM
St. Augustine can be striped. We do it all the time. It is a little different than up north, but you can definitely stipe effectively down here. As for double cutting it is essential on St. Augustine lawns (especially in the summer). The trick is to stripe in two different directions and put diamonds on the turf.

mcwlandscaping
08-21-2005, 08:10 PM
When I have to double cut, I cut the entire prop., then cut it again, in a different direction.
Thats what i do too. I like it better than going over the same srtip again. Just my 2 cents.

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-21-2005, 09:24 PM
I've read posts where people have said they cut lower on the second pass and other posts where people said they raised the deck on the second pass.
Today I helped a friend cut an overgrown lot he owns and I ran over it in a different direction on the second pass to chop it up finer and smooth it out but still left a lot of clippings on top of the turf. I know from experience that after we get a good rain, it will look a lot better. I wish I could get results like I've seen in some of these pictures.

OH-grasshopperlover
08-21-2005, 11:44 PM
Hi,

1) Stripes look better
2) Get's rid of blades that have not been nailed the first time
3) No clumps or stragglers

To do this, cut first at your desired height, 3-4 inches, depending on grass type. Then, go the same direction, add .5 inches of height to the cut. You will have awesome looking stripes. The week after, do the same thing, except oposite direction, whether it's diagonal or up/down. It will look great after 2-3 cuts, no matter the direction you look at it. I have pics of dbl. cuts/striping that will show what the attention to detail that you need. Let me know if you need those.

Good Luck!

Chad

J-Dubb
08-21-2005, 11:49 PM
Chad,
Lets see them pics. I guess that was my main question regarding double cutting... is it done more for a thorough cut or a better looking stripe? Both reasons apparently. Where is Eaton? I live in SE Indiana near Cincinnati.....

Jim

OH-grasshopperlover
08-21-2005, 11:54 PM
J-

Right across the border from Richmond, IN...An hour or so from Cinci. If you have your email on your profile, I'll send pics, if not, provide it to...

chadmsmithohio@yahoo.cm

Chad

Eclipse
08-21-2005, 11:55 PM
I always think of double cutting as mowing the opposite pattern to spread out the clumps/windrows left from the first cut.

OH-grasshopperlover
08-21-2005, 11:57 PM
Eclipse,

Both ways look great afterward as long as you do it in the alternate method the following week.

I've done it that way as well. Just a personal preference.

Chad

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-21-2005, 11:57 PM
Hi,

1) Stripes look better
2) Get's rid of blades that have not been nailed the first time
3) No clumps or stragglers

To do this, cut first at your desired height, 3-4 inches, depending on grass type. Then, go the same direction, add .5 inches of height to the cut. You will have awesome looking stripes. The week after, do the same thing, except oposite direction, whether it's diagonal or up/down. It will look great after 2-3 cuts, no matter the direction you look at it. I have pics of dbl. cuts/striping that will show what the attention to detail that you need. Let me know if you need those.

Good Luck!

Chad

You list "blades that have not been nailed the first time" and "stragglers". If I'm cutting the second time ".5 inches" higher, then wouldn't I still have blades or stragglers .5 inch above everything else?

OH-grasshopperlover
08-22-2005, 12:01 AM
Surprisingly...NO, it looks great, I've done this for 8 years, the long blades that I am talking about are the ones that don't get caught by the first pass. If in sunlight, the client won't know the diff. in .5 inch. I pride myself in my stripes. They look like Wrigley or any other Ballpark. It works for me. Most importantly, they are seeing the grass being bent over and the crap being dispersed, not .5 of an inch of a cut.

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-22-2005, 12:08 AM
Well, you are another poster I've read lately that raises the blade for the second pass. I'm going to have to make some time to do some experimenting!

Eclipse
08-22-2005, 12:13 AM
I will have to try recutting the same stripes.

As far as raising the blades, if there is a ton of clumps I raise the blades. If it is not too bad I leave it the same height.

OH-grasshopperlover
08-22-2005, 12:15 AM
Lake,

It's all about experimentation, if it works for you and the customer is happy, then run with it. IMO that's what works for me. Looks great! Yeah, the grass variety is probably WAY different in GA, but it works in MN and OH. Give it a try, see if it works!

Chad :waving:

fourseasonlawns
08-22-2005, 12:39 AM
Can someone explain the concept, technique and advantages of "double cutting"? Is it worth the time?

I couldn't agree more, that double cutting looks Great! Wash your shoes once, look 100% better. Wash your shoes again, look new again. Unfortunately, you had to use twice the water, soap and time. The advantage is, it looks Great. "Is it worth the time?" For each his own.

If I keep sharp blades and slow down the first time around, double cutting is not necessary. The way I see it, is the second time around lawn number one could have been the first time around lawn number 2! Therefore, the second time around lawn number 8 could have been the first time around lawn number 16!

Next, Are you getting paid to cut the yard twice? Time is money.

If you have time to do it a second time, wouldn't you have had time to do it RIGHT the first time?

Now, I do agree the lawn should be diamond cut, as earlier stated. Looks awesome. This week, cut north to south, and next week, east to west. Also, the first cut of each month, I run counterclockwise. All other weeks, I run clockwise.

Lastly, If I have to cut a second time, I bag it (the second time around). If there is excessive clippings to leave on the turf the first time, there's still too many clippings to leave on the turf the second go around.
By bagging the second cut only, you don't have as much to deal with.

Just my 2 cents worth.

You are the boss, make the call. "Is it worth the time?"

OH-grasshopperlover
08-22-2005, 12:55 AM
EXACTLY...LIKE I SAID, "what works for me, may not work for you"...I do agree with your cutting style, minus the bagging. Add the dump and dispose time...Is there a REAL time difference? Prob not, but anywho, like I said in my "Paying Your Employees" post. I'm done.

hole in one lco
08-22-2005, 01:11 AM
The bottom line is its still faster to double cut then it is to bag

2k1yzfr1
08-22-2005, 01:23 AM
St Augustine stripes

fourseasonlawns
08-22-2005, 01:32 AM
The bottom line is its still faster to double cut then it is to bag

I've always found it easier to charge EXTRA for bagging, than for RE-cutting.

hole in one lco
08-22-2005, 01:38 AM
I've always found it easier to charge EXTRA for bagging, than for RE-cutting.
They get charged for the double cut.a 30.0 cut is 60.0. I'm there 2 times a week or ones .

kleankutslawn
08-22-2005, 01:47 AM
i double cut only when grass is left behind or clumps.and thats mostly when i use gator blades

yrdandgardenhandyman
08-22-2005, 02:36 AM
I've only had to do it a couple of times, but leave the deck the same height. If you raise the deck you're still going to have some stringers that are taller than everything else.

I raise the deck, go over the turf and then lower the deck to optimal height and then cut in a different direction. Cleans up the turf very well.
Lawns here are mostly rye, fescue, bluegrass mix.

OMG
08-22-2005, 02:51 AM
Double Cut means double price.....unless its within the time frame of the 'regular' cut.

JMO

bmurrell
08-22-2005, 03:19 AM
yes it is worth it raise the deck up on the 2nd cut . quality is everything !
bmurrell

lawnrangeralaska
08-22-2005, 04:56 AM
should of bought a Walker!!! i double cut alot only bc in one week my grass will go from 3-3.5" to 6-8". with the walker i just leave the deck same height and it will stripe both ways really nice. keeping it the same height all the grass gets cut, but actually looks like it cuts .5" off the first cut so raising the deck would work. i am going to try this and see if my stripes will be darker.
cutting it twice might only take 5 to 10 minutes longer per lawn well for me. i think its worth it especially when i am cutting a lawns in 7 minutes and makes 50 bucks each.