PDA

View Full Version : How Much Trimmer Line?

MBDiagMan
08-21-2005, 09:42 PM
I just bought a Redmax BCZ2600 and I emptied the spool of the line put on it at the factory. The manual says to put 20 feet on the spool when winding, but they do not say anything to indicate if that is 20 feet before it is doubled up or actually 40 feet and then doubled up to a length of 20 feet. What is your experience with this?

Thanks for your help on this.

Have a great day,
Doc

mcwlandscaping
08-21-2005, 09:45 PM
I just wind the spool till it is close to the edge of the spool. No measuring, just stick it in there. Just my opinion, hope this helps

lazer 46
08-21-2005, 10:01 PM
I have the Red Max 2500(2) That is 20 ft. doubled to 10ft.

MBDiagMan
08-21-2005, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the quick answer.

I wasn't clear for those not familiar with this familiar trimmer that it does not have only one string exposed. When winding it, you double it up and when you get done winding, there are two cutting strings exposed. The extra string sure does seem to make a difference. The trimmer I've been using before this one was a single string, curved shaft. The difference is absolutely amazing.

I feel like I could cut my way through a tropical jungle with this thing.

Thanks again,
Doc

PLM-1
08-21-2005, 11:20 PM
A good way to measure your line is with your arm and chest. From the tip of my right finger down my arm and across my chest to my left shoulder is 3.5 feet (like shooting archery only arms east and west vs. north and south (if that makes sense?)). I just do that about 6 times and then cut it!

topsites
08-21-2005, 11:24 PM
A good way to measure your line is with your arm and chest. From the tip of my right finger down my arm and across my chest to my left shoulder is 3.5 feet (like shooting archery only arms east and west vs. north and south (if that makes sense?)). I just do that about 6 times and then cut it!

That's funny how you figured that out, I tie one end of the line to the gate clip on the trailer then walk with the spool to the front bumper of the truck, and cut :) Of course, that's with .080 NOT .095

mcwlandscaping
08-21-2005, 11:29 PM
A question then, should i be measuring my trimmer line? Thanks

Precision
08-21-2005, 11:34 PM
No, just fill the thing up and keep it tight and not crossed while winding it.

On my stihls, I cut off what looks like it will be enough then stick each end in the retaining wholes then wind away. Then clip the remaining horseshoe of string into the holders and clip it in the middle then return the bump head to the housing and off you go. 2-3 minutes.

A question then, should i be measuring my trimmer line? Thanks

mcwlandscaping
08-21-2005, 11:37 PM
2-3 minutes, exactly, good, i didn't want to have to measure anything, thanks, i love my stihl!

PLM-1
08-22-2005, 01:37 AM
That's funny how you figured that out, I tie one end of the line to the gate clip on the trailer then walk with the spool to the front bumper of the truck, and cut :) Of course, that's with .080 NOT .095
Now that's funny! I would love to witness the event!

Mower For Less
08-22-2005, 02:01 AM

Why not just use your full wingspan instead of only to your chest? Seems like that would be almost twice as fast to me. I have a 6" wingspan, so if I pull it 3 times thats 18', then I guesstimate another 2 feet and snip, done.

Actually, thats one way I have done it, usually I have a mark in on my trailer that I pull it off the spool until I get to the mark, then double that up, and cut. I would only have 1 mark if I could but my trailer is not that long.

Kevin

fourseasonlawns
08-22-2005, 02:25 AM
While ya'll get out the tape measure every time, I do the same as my two year old does with the toilet paper in the house. she gives it one could tug and sees how much can hit the floor. Yep, that looks good. Cut it!!!

On a more professional side, I carry 2 extra bump knobs pre-spooled the night before. Pull one knob off and slide in another. Maybe 10 seconds.

PLM-1
08-22-2005, 02:47 AM
I've tried that before but it's awkward. My line is on a line holder on the trailer and to get the it off and not have it go everywhere, I have to keep moving my feet back and forth; when i get tired sometimes im not too coordinated! LOL

Runner
08-22-2005, 12:10 PM
I just wind it out and measure with my arms, too I stand ther with ine hand near the spool, and the other I span out. I'm 6', so I give myself about 5 armlengths (full span).
I don't understand what others were saying about just winding it on the spool until it fills up, because it has to be doubled.

MBDiagMan
08-22-2005, 12:46 PM
Okay, I got so much good info from that question, let's try this one:

I was told to soak the line in water overnight before winding to make it more flexible. Has anyone ever tried this or is someone sending me after a left handed monkey wrench?

Have a great day,
Doc

CutNLawns
08-22-2005, 02:01 PM
I do the full wing span too. Once you do it a couple time you can get it right on the money each time.

MBDiagMan
08-22-2005, 03:07 PM
I did the three full wing spans plus an estimated two feet and it filled it up perfect. I also had soaked the line and it felt very supple while I was winding it. I have not cut with it yet, so we will see how well the soaked line works in operation.

Thanks for the feedback,
Doc

Mower For Less
08-22-2005, 07:38 PM
Plastic is porous, so it will absorb some of the water, that is true. But I am not sure just how beneficial that would be while using it in the field, nor how long it would take to spin it all out of the line like a washing machine on spin cycle. Guess we'll have to wait for the first hand report to come in.

Kevin

jbell113
08-22-2005, 07:47 PM
Why not just use your full wingspan instead of only to your chest? Seems like that would be almost twice as fast to me. I have a 6" wingspan, so if I pull it 3 times thats 18', then I guesstimate another 2 feet and snip, done.

Actually, thats one way I have done it, usually I have a mark in on my trailer that I pull it off the spool until I get to the mark, then double that up, and cut. I would only have 1 mark if I could but my trailer is not that long.

Kevin
Thats funny cuz thats exactly the way I do ...forget measuring

jbell113
08-22-2005, 07:52 PM
The only time you need to soak it in water from my experience is if the line breaks off easily while using it or you get some old brittle line. The only time my line breaks off is when Im edging the driveway with the trimmer ...sometimes the line breaks off inside the weed eater head ...thats when you need to soak it or you can put the line in and spray it with WD-40.

Precision
08-22-2005, 08:16 PM
If you buy the cheap crap at home depot or Wallyworld that might make a difference. From what I hear snake farts break that line.

I personally use the stihl .080 round or .095 square. The .080 is a bit less durable but gives a much better cut on manicured grass. The .095 lasts forever in comparison (even with my helpers trimming) but the quality of cut and amount of string you can cut with decrease. Also you can't wind nearly as much on the spool.

greater durability is countered by less on the spool so respooling is just as frequent.

Okay, I got so much good info from that question, let's try this one:

I was told to soak the line in water overnight before winding to make it more flexible. Has anyone ever tried this or is someone sending me after a left handed monkey wrench?

Have a great day,
Doc

MBDiagMan
08-28-2005, 04:19 PM
Okay, I now have some experience with this Redmax 2600 trimmer.

The line that was already on the spool when I bought it was clear and I must have had to remove the spool at least two dozen times before I used up that line. It was very discouraging.

Once the factory fill of line was gone I started loading it from a spool of Redmax brand, round .095 line that is red in color and had been soaked it in water. I have no idea if the water had anything to do with it. I pulled off three wingspans and an estimated two feet and wrapped on the spool without any great amount of care in wrapping. I actually wrapped it this way on two spools because I bought an extra.

I have now gone through both of those spools of line without EVER having to take off the spool and mess with it. I never did anything except bang it on the ground to feed the line.

This is a totally new experience for me. I've never had a trimmer that I didn't have to mess with the spool at some point or another before the line was gone.

Have I just been extremely lucky or have others had this experience with good commercial grade trimmers?

Thanks for your comments and advice,
Doc

grass_cuttin_fool
08-28-2005, 05:58 PM

Kevin
That is how I measure mine also
wayne

Likestomow
08-28-2005, 05:58 PM
If you buy the cheap crap at home depot or Wallyworld that might make a difference. From what I hear snake farts break that line...

Hey you sure have a different experience with the Walmart line than I do. I have been using it for years, and just bought 8 more 4# .095 spools. This is the 5-sided Poulan line. I hope you don't believe everything you hear... or do you?

Cutter LLC
08-28-2005, 06:44 PM
This is a totally new experience for me. I've never had a trimmer that I didn't have to mess with the spool at some point or another before the line was gone.

Have I just been extremely lucky or have others had this experience with good commercial grade trimmers?

I rarely have to mess with the spool at all unless it is the rare situatuion where it starts to weld on me. About 9 out of 10 spools are totally fine and maybe I need to adjust once or twice on the bad one. I have found it helpful to just rewire the whole spool when this does happen.

My stihl takes 25ft so it works out to 4.75 full wingspans for me.