PDA

View Full Version : Exmark striping kit

J-Dubb
08-21-2005, 10:53 PM
Does anyone have an opinion on the best position of their roller? I recently damaged mine and took it to the dealer for repair. When I got the mower, a 2003 Lazer Z XP, back the roller was on the lower of the two settings. I kept my eye on it for a while and noticed that it was getting loose and rattling around a lot sooner than usual. It looked like the roller was too far into the grass so I moved it back up. Is this lower setting for when your a mowing with the deck higher? I couldn't find much info on Exmark's website regarding the roller. I usually mow at 3.75 to 4.0.

Also,
My partner has a Skagg and when he is mowing on 3.0, I am on 4.0. It's the same height! Are these deck settings not relatively similar?? Doesn't the number represent inches?

Thanks!!

RayoVac
08-22-2005, 02:28 AM
I have the Exmark roller on my Lazer HP. I also have the install info that came with the roller. All the holes are based upon cutting height. According to the info the 3.5"-4" has my roller in the LOWEST set of holes you can put it in. I cut at 3.75" and notice that when on concrete... with the deck down I can just get an index finger between the roller and the concrete. I am pretty sure at 3.5" it would be rolling on the ground.

One other note... there is some play in the mounting when I removed my roller to level my deck... when re-tightening I held the roller in what I felt was a position "Square" to the deck. Meaning instead of pushing it up or down (tilting) I pushed it against the back of the deck so even force was being applied against both bolts. I could easily see how you could let it sag or for that matter lift it up... losing the optimal position for the given cutting height.

As far as the height... I can't speak for the Scags... but on my Exmark if I have it set at 3.75" and measure from the ground to the bottom edge of the blade... that is about what I get.

J-Dubb
08-24-2005, 11:57 PM
RayoVac,
Have you ever had a problem with the left side of the deck cutting lower?

RayoVac
08-25-2005, 01:44 AM
J-Dubb,

Check out this Exmark Leveling Thread (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=115020)

We discussed a bunch of this. And yes... my HP came brand new, even checked from the dealer... way off on the deck level. So I went through the manual and followed the deck leveling instructions. Made a HUGE difference, previous to leveling it... I thought I had major problems. Some felt I should have just taken it back to the dealer to make them level it... but personally I wanted to do it myself as ultimately I will have to know how to do it in the future if I ever get it mucked up (hitting something etc.).

Let me know if you have any questions... I will be happy to answer what I can.