PDA

View Full Version : Any Grasshopper 322D diesel owners?

Itsgottobegreen
08-22-2005, 01:16 AM
I am replacing my standers.
I wanted to go diesel, because red fuel is cheaper and diesel is way more efficent. $3 per gallon for gas is to much. red fuel at $2.10 is better. If not some home made bio-diesel.
So my choices are Grasshopper and Kubota. Because I want a kubota diesel.

I am looking at Grasshopper 322D 61" diesel midmount with the 15cu collections system.

I know their bagging system is one of the best. I have used hopper out fronts before. Its a great machine. Just with the hills we have around here, its not a good choice. So I am looking at their midmounts.

I like the kubota diesel, monster 16cc fan cooled pumps, heavy frame and deck, 5 grease points, radiator placement and the seat.

So who has one?
Any problems?
Cut quality?
Stripping? If it sucks, I can whip up a stripping kit in 20 minutes or so.
Hill holding ability?

I have a demo tomorrow.

My dealer is giving me 322D 61" diesel for $9300. The collections systems for $1300. Plus tax, 6 months same as cash, if not 1.9% financing after that.

The best part is we are getting a large account that we need the hoppers for. They are paying the whole season up front payup , because we don't have the equipment to handle it. But are willing to help us because they know and want our service. We do the vp's house now. :D Hopefully we get the pres and other vp house's too.

bmurrell
08-22-2005, 01:50 AM
I have used a kubota 60 inch deck diseal and i will tell you if you are going for quality you dont want kubota the one i used was not a floating deck i dont know if they make one but this one sucked . And as far as gas prices in the diesal i could not tell the diff. If you want quality you want a CHOPPER !
BRANDON

Mr Dane
08-22-2005, 02:11 AM
We Have 1 428d And We Are In The Middle Of Buying 2 More Same As What You Want Just Bigger I Personally Have About 10 Years Exp. With Grasshoppers And Love Them To Death I Know With The 428 You Can Mow Flat Out And It Gives An Excellant Cut I Demo A Exmark And Didnt Think It Did As Good. The Cut Is Excellant The Durability Is Excellant And The Motor Is Perfect At The Beginning Of Next Year We Are Buying 2 928d2 Front Mounts

Bay de Noc Lawn Car
08-22-2005, 08:19 AM
322d is one of the best out there. I have never heard of any issues. If some thing does not seem right just make sure it is setup right.

Are you still glad you sold your 61" sentar?

jvr
08-22-2005, 08:27 AM
I haven't used the 322 but I do have a 321 with about 2000 hrs and love it. I also use a catcher and it works great.

Itsgottobegreen
08-22-2005, 11:22 AM
Are you still glad you sold your 61" sentar?
yes :D :p Got what i paid for it.

digger1
08-24-2005, 10:19 PM
hopefully your 322d is better than the 928d's the factory is putting out. bought a 928d with 72" deck in april 2005. had problems with the pump belts coming off. after the 3rd time of the pump belt coming off, we exchanged it for a 932 gas. i know we're not talking apples and apples here, but the 928 was still a fuel hog compared to our '02 932 gas. now we are having problems with the hydro reservoir tank leaking. been replaced once and the rep is picking up again to have another tank put on (second one).
had 4 machines in 10 years and not a lick of problems. these two '05 units have nothing but dealt us and the dealer a fit. fortunately the dealer we have is fantastic and has gone out of his way to help us. can't say the same for the factory. seems they have tweaked the design on the '05s from our '02 model and nothing but bad luck. as i have always said.....if it ain't broke, don't mess with it. hopefully you have better luck with yours. :cry:

iluvscag
08-24-2005, 10:45 PM
Thats alot of **** Mr.Dane. ;)

PLM-1
08-24-2005, 11:33 PM
I've got a 722D, awesome power. Why don't you want a front mount on hills?...they handle them better....

Itsgottobegreen
08-25-2005, 12:07 AM
Well I did the demo.

First. Does anybody have the suspension seat on their's? Because my back is in extreme pain. I have a bad back (sucks at 20) :cry: which is why I have my standers in the first place. I am guessing the extra hard ride is from the seat being 6" further forward because of the diesel engine. So instead of being over the rear wheels, you are in between all four. Anyways does the seat help.

Second. It seemed like the engine bogged down when going down hill. Even at half hydro speed. My dealer said I was flooding the hydros. Other thing, felt like I was on a rowing machine, with 12" of travel in the hydros levers.

Third. The cut. In tall grass 12" very thin grass (my lawn hasn't been cut in 3 weeks) it left stringers in between the blades. 19,000 blade speed shouldn't be missing that. But it did have high lift blades on it. Sounds like a helicopter when you turn the blades on. On 6" to 3.75" grass it was fine with the cut.

Good things, stripes pretty well. Needs a thicker piece of rubber on the back. Its got a heavy duty frame, and deck. Handles better on the hills that most ztrs. It could back up a hill most ztrs can't. Its quiet, for the most part. Throws the grass far. definitely would get it with the heavy duty anti-scalp wheels. Really would like to see it with the bagger unit. To see how it handles with it.

Also I need a bigger trailer if I by set. 7 by 16 enclosed with crap on the walls makes it too small on the inside. :angry:

lawnrangeralaska
08-25-2005, 12:11 AM
buy a walker with your kubota motor

PLM-1
08-25-2005, 12:39 AM

I think he needed something faster...

Mowingman
08-25-2005, 07:36 AM
You should have had a very good ride with that machine. I am thinking the dealer forgot to check the tire pressure before you got it. Rear tires should only have 8-9 lbs. of air in them. The factory airs them up a lot higher for shipping purposes.

Envy Lawn Service
08-25-2005, 01:16 PM
You should have had a very good ride with that machine. I am thinking the dealer forgot to check the tire pressure before you got it. Rear tires should only have 8-9 lbs. of air in them. The factory airs them up a lot higher for shipping purposes.

Yep... tire pressure.

The 322D is a great machine in my opinion.

Itsgottobegreen
08-25-2005, 11:48 PM
I think he needed something faster...
O yea. one 5 acre commerical job, plus 14 other 2-2.5 acres residentals, put next years growth and subbing for another contractor.
Trust me there will be a walker diesel here one day. For my own lawn. :D

no it was set up already. These are just some really bumby lawns. Old ungraded fields. And my very bad back. :cry

I am still thinking about buying one 61" 322d and buying a 61" rapid height stander. (we cut a lot of hills, the hopper ain't going to cut some of them)

Two of my standers are sold. One to the kid I am mentoring in landscaping. ( but he can't have it until I replace it. The other, my buddy took last week.