PDA

View Full Version : Carpenter ants- What next???

**JW'S LAWNCARE**
08-22-2005, 05:12 AM
I recently sprayed the perimeter, cracks, holes, chimmney, all pipes and lines in/out and gutters of house for carpenter ants using Lorsban®-4E insecticide (chlorpyrifos).

3 days after I sprayed I have close to 40 ants in the kitchen WOW!!! Did I trap them in the house do I have a nest?

I watched their trail and found a hole behind a cabinet (I remove the cabinet) they go into but can't see or hear a nest anywhere.

I put boric acid on the trail and have maybe seen 10 at the most in the following days.

What do I need to do next???

Bait?, spray again?, treat the lawn and flower beds?, Do i have a nest in the house?

Any help would be appreciated.

KenH
08-22-2005, 08:04 AM
Im battling the same thing as we speak in my home. Im hoping there is not a nest in the house. I was told to look around outside especially around rotted wood.... I think though if there was a nest in the house I ould be seeing alot more...

ArizPestWeed
08-22-2005, 07:48 PM
Use Termidor, it's nonrepelent

Kate Butler
08-22-2005, 07:57 PM
I had a long conversation with a pest control operator last year (in Florida) who said that you will ALWAYS see more ants after a treatment for a week or so - then none at all. Could this be what's happening with you??

**JW'S LAWNCARE**
08-22-2005, 08:07 PM
Thanks ariz,
but what does nonrepellent mean exactly??? It attracks ant and kills them?

**JW'S LAWNCARE**
08-22-2005, 08:20 PM
Ariz thanks for the reply,
After doing a search i found out what you meant...
Termidor is a non-repellent and eliminates termites through ingestion and/or contact, so even if termites are not feeding, they will be eliminated.

So I don't need to find a nest to kill all the ants correct???

**JW'S LAWNCARE**
08-22-2005, 08:29 PM
Can termidor be used inside or should I use Phantom???

Ric
08-22-2005, 11:24 PM
woo

Lot of Mis Information here.

First Always read the label. It will first tell you both Termidor and Phantom it sister produce, are RUPs and can not be purchase by anyone Except a Certified Operator who is also taken the Termidor-Phantom Certification.

Chlorpyrifos is a repellent and yes you have trapped the Carpenter ants inside. BTW It has been off the market for quite a while now for residential use.

non repellent does not mean it attracts. A bait is an attractant. Termidor is more correctly called a neutral, It neither attracts or repels insects.

I am not going to give an Structural Pesticide course here. Time and space doesn't allow it.

WHAT to do next. Maybe call a professional would be the best Idea. However it is like the mechanic. To fix is so much. To watch is twice as much. And to Help is four times as much. You have already started to help fix.

Maxi force makes a Carpenter Ant gel Bait that works fairly well but takes 5 to 6 weeks to gain control. Place this on the ant trails and hope it is effective.

**JW'S LAWNCARE**
08-23-2005, 09:33 PM
Ric,
Thanks for replying in reading your previous post on this subject I can see you are an expert on this topic and your advice is greatly appreciated.

I Would hire a pro......
but when asked the following questions here are my responses

Do I have a nest in the house? expert's response, if you see them in the house you probably do.

Can you take care of the nest? ... I don't know.

How do you know if kill the nest?.... I can't, I will need to continue to treat.

Ric, I can't hire a guy who can't tell me they can fix the problem. Or maybe I am not talking to the right guys.

I have now removed a cabinet and Have found a hole the plaster that the ants are travel thru but it doesn't seem to be a nest because I don't hear any noise when tapped.

Ric what do you suggest I do from here, or I am i just totally screwed???

Ric
08-23-2005, 10:26 PM
JW.

The big thing to pay a pro for is his knowledge, not what he uses. I suggested Max Force Carpenter Ant Gel because I have had good success with it. The ants come to it instead of you going to the ants. However it does take time to get into the food chain and therefore must be slow acting.

Pros know the life cycle of the specie they are trying to control. Experience teaches them where and how to look for them and there nests. Give that you location is different than mine, you could have a much different variety of Carpenter Ants. They could in fact have just enough different life style to make them hard for me to find.

So you must FIRST study where they are and follow their trails to try and find the nest. BTW they may have more than one Nest and these other are called satellite nests. Each nest will have a queen. There may be many Satellite nests. Most Carpenter Ants are nocturnal, therefore watch them at night for best results. They live in wood that is generally damp. So Skylights and roof vents that leak small amounts of moisture are prime areas to look for them. Outside walls that leak or inside walls with pip[es that sweat are also prime suspect. Insect do not talk with sound, they use smells. They will follow smell trails called Pheromone trails to find there way home. It is all theorized that they have a build in GPS to Magnetic North and therefore navigate by it. You will also find the will nest near electricity.

As Professional we will watch these trails etc and crawl the attic as well. Many time that is where we will find the nest or nests. If you see the ants going to the ceiling follow them to the attic. But use a long pair of thongs to lift insulation and look for them. Carpenter Ant, Fire Ants and Harvest Ants do sting.

Once you have located the Nest or Nests, any insecticide will work to kill them. Once the nest and queen is dead the worker will soon disappear.

Since you are not a pro big time ant hunter:D you may want to cover you bet by first applying the Max Force Ant Bait gel. Should you not locate the nest or all nests, a second approach can be to use a repellent type insecticide. This is done by spraying area where you see them and can't stand to see them. But not near area that you have baited. This allows the Bait to work and at the same time keep the Carpenter Ants out of sight.

Insecticides fall into one of three groups. 1 Those that repel 2 those that attract (Baits) and 3 those that are Neutral, or do not attract or repel. The use of one can negate the other.

Now I have been banging the key board with one finger long enough. Therefore the Cantankerous Old Guy will call it quits here. I hope this helps you, a professional can charge $ 750 for Carpenter Ant Control.

**JW'S LAWNCARE**
08-23-2005, 11:19 PM
Ric,
Thanks again for your knowledge I will put it to good use. My wife is also very thankful. I can purchase the gel for Lesco and will look in the attic for the nest or nests. Thanks again.

Ric
08-23-2005, 11:40 PM
Ric,
Thanks again for your knowledge I will put it to good use. My wife is also very thankful. I can purchase the gel for Lesco and will look in the attic for the nest or nests. Thanks again.

JW

Just PM your Credit Card Number and Expiration date. Don't forget to include the Three digit number on the back. :D