PDA

View Full Version : It's all downhill from here boys......

LwnmwrMan22
08-22-2005, 09:33 AM
Woke up this morning, 41 degrees out. There's a couple of Sugar Maples that have already started changing leaves around here.

If you haven't started saving your money to help get through the winter, you'd better get a move on, another 2 months and it can be snowing anytime here in MN.

Just thought I'd give some people a wake up call, maybe a little motivation for those of us that have hit that proverbial wall the last couple of weeks from working every day for the last 2-3-4-5 months.

Just a couple of more, and it's sit around and watch the snowfall time.

jtrice11
08-22-2005, 11:33 AM
Woke up this morning, 41 degrees out. There's a couple of Sugar Maples that have already started changing leaves around here.

If you haven't started saving your money to help get through the winter, you'd better get a move on, another 2 months and it can be snowing anytime here in MN.

Just thought I'd give some people a wake up call, maybe a little motivation for those of us that have hit that proverbial wall the last couple of weeks from working every day for the last 2-3-4-5 months.

I'm hoping for alot of snow, I was reading somewhere that some people out east refer to snow and "frozen gold". waht are your thoughts? any $$ in snow removal?

olderthandirt
08-22-2005, 12:05 PM
I'm hoping for alot of snow, I was reading somewhere that some people out east refer to snow and "frozen gold". waht are your thoughts? any $$ in snow removal?
A lot more than mowing on a per hr. base. But a pita ! Never had to get up at 2:00 AM to go and mow

Charles Odell
08-22-2005, 01:23 PM
81 degrees here this morning thats the LOW for today
weather says high of 96 We still have 2.5-3 months to mow here
About 3 to 4 months of fall and winter We start back up
about March 1st Little or no snow here!

Varsity L&G
08-22-2005, 01:28 PM
The other half is up that way on bussiness.

I am sure she packed summer wear being it is still 90 in SC.

QualityLawnCare4u
08-22-2005, 01:36 PM
41 degrees! Wow! Send me some of it. I have not made it past 12:00 a singe day in past 3 weeks, going to be 110 today and was 110 yesterday. I usually mow up till right after Thanksgiving. BTW, what is snow? :D

Envy Lawn Service
08-22-2005, 02:32 PM
41 degrees! Wow! Send me some of it. I have not made it past 12:00 a singe day in past 3 weeks, going to be 110 today and was 110 yesterday. I usually mow up till right after Thanksgiving. BTW, what is snow? :D

Yeah really... we could blend some of that 41 degree air half-n-half with our air and it would still be friggin hot!!!

Richard Martin
08-22-2005, 05:03 PM
We've had a pretty miserable summer here in the east too. We've had mini-monsoons, mini-droughts and a whole lot of hazy, hot and humid. I know it gets a little hotter in the south but it doesn't get nearly as cold there as it does here. We can expect temps anywhere from 100+ in the summer to -5 in the winter.

I think we've settled into the end of summer though. There are no more 90+ days in the 15 day forecast and the lows are finally going to go below 70.

Potomac Lawns Inc.
08-22-2005, 05:20 PM
thank god on the lower temps

mcwlandscaping
08-22-2005, 05:25 PM
We call it white gold and there is a huge load of money in it. However you have to wake up early to go take care of it.

Up North
08-22-2005, 05:38 PM

Dang LwnmwrMan,
It didn't even get that cool up here last night, I think we had mid 40's or so.
It'll be snowing before we know it...reminds me, I need to get some wood dropped off so I can keep warm this winter.

Buck

rodfather
08-22-2005, 06:20 PM
White gold it is. I am right at this moment buying out a good friend's plowing accounts (63 of them).

LwnmwrMan22
08-22-2005, 11:26 PM
Dang LwnmwrMan,
It didn't even get that cool up here last night, I think we had mid 40's or so.
It'll be snowing before we know it...reminds me, I need to get some wood dropped off so I can keep warm this winter.

Buck

Firewood started today, already sold 4 full cords. Got another 36 to go and I'll be out for this year. payup

Only problem is, I have to get started by 5 am now, mow for 12 hours, then go haul 3-4 loads of wood in the dump trailer at night, get home about 11 pm or so, then do it all again the next day.

I'm glad we had dry weather this year, the grass has pretty much shut down for the fall now. I can get by without doing them all every single week.

moremowing4me
08-23-2005, 12:13 AM

I know right! This 110 bulls*** has got to stop. Its about to frickin kill me, and we also mow till around thanksgiving here in southwest S.C. : :cool2:

topsites
08-23-2005, 12:28 AM
This is a VERY good thread you are absolutely correct everyone needs to SAVE it NOW or you are in dire straits. As for me, I learned saving the winter cash is a HIGH priority and I like to have it in the bank by end of spring but this year I spent a LOT so 2 weeks ago I finally got the account up to the required amount and that's where it stays so I's can sit on my lazy butt ALL of Jan-Feb and most of March. Truth be known I still got a few thousand in bills from the new wb and the yellow book and another account just got started for MORE equipment (LOL) but this is my best year ever, guess my worst worry is putting enough deposits off to January '06 so as not to break the 33k barrier and next year I'm going for the big 40+k :)

Far as temps here in Virginia things are going to get busy now in September it will be 70's - 80's and that means CORE AERATION which is very big in the months of september-october and then by Halloween (31.oct) the leaves are coming down THICK and that keeps things going right until december 24th, yes I work Xmas eve if need be. Then I take a week off and start again in January to finish off those jobs I didn't get done in december and usually by mid-jan it's dead as a doornail, cold, and my azz is lazing out GOOOOD to make sure I'm well rested for the coming spring rush.

See here's the thing: If I HAVE the winter money saved before OCTOBER then leaves are OPTIONAL thou I will do them for most of my regular grass-customers but most of those johnny-come-latelies who won't call me or anything all the rest of the year but WILL call me for leaves can feel free to get out their own rake + tarp. Now if I don't have the money, then leaves are a requirement and this is how I learned to save my winter money FIRST right off the bat in spring I start saving already.

Snow sometimes we DO get a little bit but I am sure glad we don't have perma-snow (Yes I know the kind, once it falls it doesn't go away until April).

shortgut
08-23-2005, 12:43 AM
I''ll sure be glad just to get back to the 80's it was 103 this afternoon at 3:00PM hotter than hell oooo on the school bus but get this it had rain about 2 miles North of my house and did not at home till about 8:30 PM and then it came a very welcomed shower guess it lasted about 30 mins does not matter any thing will help . the lake where they get the areas drinking water is about 5 ft below normal they said something about they might have to extend the water supply intake pipe if we do not get some really good rains .

jt5019
08-23-2005, 12:46 AM
It's been hard for us to save.. the grass is so dead im down to about 10 lawns left worth mowing. Started working on the plows this weekend since we have nothing else to do.

Snow removal can be very good money for us but it beats up the trucks a lot.

steve in Pa.
08-23-2005, 12:55 AM
I am ready for the white gold to start coming down. Love to see them pennies from heaven floating down. It does suck being on call 24/7 though.

Tvov
08-23-2005, 12:59 AM
Snowplowing is a lot of money, but here in Connecticut you cannot depend on it. I still line up other work, and the snowplowing is a bonus. It also ties you down in winter, it has been decades since I've taken a winter vacation out of town. People/businesses depend on you. You can skip some lawn mowings in August, but if there is a big snowfall, you have to be there to plow.