PDA

View Full Version : First time this year

coastallandscapesolutions
08-22-2005, 09:40 AM
We are doing a tree lot this year. First time. We have a good location and have scheduled a tent for the small stuff and extras. Sort of a mini Christmas shop for add on sales. Is there anything special that we should keep in mind as we move forward. Our lot will run from Nov 15 to December 24.

Thanks!

Guthrie&Co
08-22-2005, 01:23 PM
From what i have found is that the more you decorate the lot the more those ladies want to spend

did you guys get that fax i sent down to you?

n2h20
08-22-2005, 06:58 PM
sell good stands and offer delivery

Imulchmore
08-23-2005, 05:10 PM
I have been selling trees for a few years now and I will never not sell them again. We have had nothing but success with our tree lots. If I was going to give advice I would say stick with the #1 and #2 grade trees anything less than that and people will know you are trying to sell them junk. Also check outwww.treeteck.com look at the tree driller it is a little investment but it will keep you customes coming back year after year. They are nic epeople and will be able to guide you along the way.

gqnine44
08-23-2005, 11:53 PM
Where do you get the trees? Do you grow them yourself? Is there a supplier you buy from? What is the average markup? If there are suppliers that you know of can you PM their names or websites? Sorry so many questions sounds like an interesting prospect.

Imulchmore
08-24-2005, 09:47 AM
There is a web site You can do a search it is the Pennsylvania Christmas tree growers association. I personally use Tuckaway Tree farm they are located in McAlevy's Fort, Pa. I have their numer in my other office I will try to get it for you. What part of Ohio are you from? How close are you to state college, Pa?

bigviclbi
08-24-2005, 06:54 PM
For you guys that are going to do this, can someone post a little per tree price, delivery charge, how they are setting up? I would love to rent a little spot on the drag for thanksgiving till xmas. Need a little info. though.

gqnine44
08-24-2005, 11:10 PM
There is a web site You can do a search it is the Pennsylvania Christmas tree growers association. I personally use Tuckaway Tree farm they are located in McAlevy's Fort, Pa. I have their numer in my other office I will try to get it for you. What part of Ohio are you from? How close are you to state college, Pa?

I am in Southern Ohio. I assume PA is home to many more tree farms than Ohio. I have requested info from the PA Tree Growers Association. I found the number to several tree farms and will give them a call tomorrow.

It is probably too late to get a lot of the ground for this Christmas -What do you think?

Is there a secret to securing lots and how much lot rent should I expect to pay?

Thanks in advance.

Guthrie&Co
08-24-2005, 11:27 PM
Where do you get the trees? Do you grow them yourself? Is there a supplier you buy from? What is the average markup? If there are suppliers that you know of can you PM their names or websites? Sorry so many questions sounds like an interesting prospect.
you have to buy your trees from a tree farmer. most inportantly they need to have top notch stuff. otherwise you wont make the sale. markup need to stay consistant with you area, most of the time it is double what you paid wholesale for.

coastallandscapesolutions
08-24-2005, 11:49 PM
Try doing a google search for wholesale Christmas tree sales. There are a lot of vendors out there. We are looking for quality.

Imulchmore
08-25-2005, 02:03 PM
Big Vic, Prices vary with the tree grade they are as follows:

Single#1 grade- sometimes call premium or ultra. This is a medium to heavy brush density treee with no major defects on any side.

Flare#2 Grade- This also is a medium to heavy brush density tree. This tree may have one or two minor open spots or somewhat lighter brush density.

Choise #3 grade- This is a great tree for those seeking intermediate density, yet good symmetry and appearance. This is a good tree for the money. It is also the tree which you can combat the wholesale wharehouse trade, as these trees are priced right, fresh and have consistent quality.

Bale grade- This is an economy class tree witha light brush density and a more natural look. This is the traditional Christmas tree. This grade usually contains 2 or 3 tree per bale depending on height range. (a.k.a. the charlie brown tree)

Also if you plan on doing trees I would suggest you look into Roping, Garland, Wreaths

prizeprop
09-08-2005, 08:50 PM
Do you find it hard to compete with the Home depots trees and low prices, I think 19.99- $35.00 tops. Or does a better quality tree beat them. I thought about trying trees,my landscape yard is on a main road and would be perfect. However, two Home Depots in probably 7 mile radius.

Guthrie&Co
09-08-2005, 10:48 PM
Do you find it hard to compete with the Home depots trees and low prices, I think 19.99- $35.00 tops. Or does a better quality tree beat them. I thought about trying trees,my landscape yard is on a main road and would be perfect. However, two Home Depots in probably 7 mile radius.
home depot and lowes have commercial gradetrees. the trees arent as full and arent as pretty of tree. that is how they can sell them so cheap. most of your lots are going to have a grade a tree. put it this way. lowes and depot sell pintos and gremlins. the lots sell jaguars and bmw's

prizeprop
09-09-2005, 09:03 PM
home depot and lowes have commercial gradetrees. the trees arent as full and arent as pretty of tree. that is how they can sell them so cheap. most of your lots are going to have a grade a tree. put it this way. lowes and depot sell pintos and gremlins. the lots sell jaguars and bmw's
Thanks for the info.

lawn dawg
09-22-2005, 11:03 PM
the most important principle to remember is: if you accept and cash a check for some merchandise (trees or chemicals) then you should make sure that item is properly delivered to the paying party or refund their money if you fail to complete the transaction. Being true to your word is always better than being dishonest in my opinion.

turf hokie
09-23-2005, 09:15 PM
Christmas trees are cash and carry (or delivery and setup on the larger--12' and up trees.) no checks they bounce.... :blob3:

n2h20
09-24-2005, 03:56 AM
drilling machine and like stands are the best.. btw.. reusable and like someone said will have the customers coming back year after year...

Guthrie&Co
09-24-2005, 11:28 PM
What gets me all bound up is the other guy who drags along with his order. thus messing my delivery schedule up and possibly delaying my retail lot. man sometimes it really burns me. but what do you do? just take the order and deliver away. most of the time its with new buyers and by the next year rthey have it all figured out. which is ten times better

otis
11-09-2005, 03:24 AM
This will be my 8th year of christmas tree sales. If the first farm I bought from for 4 years had not screwed me so bad, I never would have known what I could get for a christmas tree. no joke shop around, and get what the market will bear. and the lots that say: $20 tree, no one wants a $20 tree, no matter what it looks like. its all psychology.