PDA

View Full Version : Sutech mowers

3Caratz
08-22-2005, 12:34 PM
[I]Anyone ever used or are currently using a Sutech mower? My local equipment dealer is trying to sell me a 33" WB Sutech instead of a Toro. He claims that it is the exact same thing, just $600 cheaper than the Toro! Tells me that he can get me into a Sutech 33" + Echo Blower + Stihl Commercial Line trimmer for the same price as a 33" Toro WB.

Mark McC
08-22-2005, 12:53 PM
My impression is that Sutech installs only one hydro drive on their mowers. I could be wrong about that. On the other hand, i'm pretty sure Toro's hydro walk-behinds feature two hydros, one for each drive wheel. That's a big difference in performance.

daveintoledo
08-22-2005, 01:56 PM
there have been quit a few posts reguarding this mower....i think most of them where some what negative

bcg
08-22-2005, 03:01 PM
Sutech is belt drive, not Hydro. I've got one I bought this spring because it was @ $1000 less than anything else with the same size deck but there's a reason for that. You hear a lot of negative about them but nobody really gives any reason(s) as to why they think the suck so much so here are the problems I've had and why I wouldn't get another -

1 - Adjusting the deck height is a complete PITA. It takes literally 10 - 15 minutes with 2 people.

2 - The blades that come with it are a PITA to sharpen. They're serrated so the only way to get a good edge on them is to hand sharpen with a file. Gator makes replacement blades though that work OK.

3 - It mulches but not well in moderately thick grass. You WILL have a windrow if you're cutting more than about 1" - 1.5" off the grass (I mow only St Augustine).

4 - It EATS belts. Expect to replace the deck belt every 40 - 60 hours. Seriously.

5 - It doesn't turn itself like a Toro or eXmark, you have to manhandle the thing. You WILL be worn out at the end of the day if you mow with it and you will not want to ever mow a ditch with it.

6 - The gas tank is way too small. You can only mow about 3/4 acre per tank.

7 - There is no reverse assist. Think about that before going down a long, narrow side yard where you can't turn around.

8 - Replacing the drive belts requires you to drop the axle on 1 side. It's a 45 minute job minimum.

I regret trying to save money by buying this thing. You should spend the extra cash on a well known brand like Toro, eXmark, Gravely, etc. They are much better mowers and work for you instead of you having to manhandle them all day.

kppurn
08-22-2005, 06:18 PM
I owned one for a few weeks about four years ago and completely agree with everything bcg just wrote.

I don't know if they have any type of braking device on them now, but back then they didn't. Once it starts going downhill you better hope there isn't anyone or anything in the way. Fighting that thing going across a slope is a joke, so either way you're in for it. I honestly knew after using it on one lawn that I made a mistake.

TClawn
08-22-2005, 07:15 PM
I owned one for a few weeks about four years ago and completely agree with everything bcg just wrote.

I don't know if they have any type of braking device on them now, but back then they didn't. Once it starts going downhill you better hope there isn't anyone or anything in the way. .

LOL! have you thought of rigging up a brake somehow? maybe a rope that attaches to the frame, you slip it around the wheel and it stops it from moving?