PDA

View Full Version : What is being a landscaper or lco mean

6'7 330
08-22-2005, 02:13 PM
What is the landscaping and green industry mean to you, just a job, something to get side money, or is it a career to you?
Is it a backbreaking job everyday, or a rewarding career choice?

Full time guys ,Think about it a bit.

olderthandirt
08-22-2005, 02:55 PM
Its been a career and a backbreaking job both. Both at the same time and both seperatly, depending on when in the career were talking about Rewarding? For the most part, both finacially and emotionally. If I could go back would I make the same choice? No!!!! Rather be an attoney but hindsite is 20/20 and thats a personal choice I would have made.

sheshovel
08-22-2005, 03:14 PM
How bout full time Women too?
Landscaping is my choice and my love and my life ,
It is rewarding,satisfying,and fun.It is also very hard and demanding work that challenges both my mind and my body.
I worked many years in a closed environment ,warehouses with no windows,retail stores,offices
I have done many different jobs.
But none can compare to the freedom,fresh air,sunshine environment of this work.
It is addicting to be valued so much for what you do,to get complements every day,
to start with a ugly peice of ground that people are sick of looking at or a horribly planned and neglected garden and yard,
and turn it into a beutifull and usefull space that will be enjoyed by all for years to come.
To me it dosen't get any better than this.
I might start a nursery when I get to old to do this or just do design and consultation but I will do something connected to this industry when that time comes.

6'7 330
08-22-2005, 04:14 PM
Its been a career and a backbreaking job both. Both at the same time and both seperatly, depending on when in the career were talking about Rewarding? For the most part, both finacially and emotionally. If I could go back would I make the same choice? No!!!! Rather be an attoney but hindsite is 20/20 and thats a personal choice I would have made.
If I could go back in time, in a time machine, I probably would have retired from the NFL.But that is a whole other story.

No regrets about choosing this field of endeavor. The rewards have been financial; and the feeling I get after a job has been done well and completed, is my form of high. And most of all knowing I control my own destiny.

RedWingsDet
08-22-2005, 04:33 PM
If I could go back in time, in a time machine, I probably would have retired from the NFL.But that is a whole other story.

No regrets about choosing this field of endeavor. The rewards have been financial; and the feeling I get after a job has been done well and completed, is my form of high. And most of all knowing I control my own destiny.

I look at it like a job, that pays well. Nothing else really.

Im trying to decide if I want to continue doing this, or seek another profession. I dont want to regret something when im your age (not saying your old).

Do you guys find it hard to save up enough money for retirement, or is just one of this things you budget for?

I have one more year of school left, im thinking of possibly going to get a major in business, and minor in law enforcement. I'd love to become a officer of the law someday, or even better a firefighter. I hate being indoors, I have to be active.

lawnworker
08-22-2005, 04:34 PM
It has its ups and and downs. Being outside is extra, extra great in the fall. :)

By the way, "does" is the proper verb to use in your topic. :p

bobbygedd
08-22-2005, 05:21 PM
for me bigdaddy, it has been the light at the end of a tunnel, a spring in the middle of a desert, i blindfold when my mother in law comes over. i worked for the man for 21 miserable years. sure, i made good money, but there was always a limit to what i could make. this business gave me options. i don't have a boss, i don't tolerate unruley clients, the sky is the limit as far as what i can make.

rodfather
08-22-2005, 06:24 PM
Meant to me? Freedom to do whatever I want each day for the most part.

6'7 330
08-22-2005, 06:36 PM
Meant to me? Freedom to do whatever I want each day for the most part.

Right you are it allows me to be typing this reply, instead of sweating in a Gm plant, or dead with pain from football injuries.
In short, nobody pulls my strings I control the show.And it does'nt hurt at all,i love what i do.

northmichigan
08-22-2005, 06:37 PM
i enjoy landscape construction and the hands on designing of hardscapes. i've been at this for over twenty years and have improved my work quality and customer sadisfaction over the years. this is my career and i have gotten to choose my work style. that said the reality of the matter is that at 48 my knees creak and my neck aches after another day of stone work. i might of had the same aches at a deck job[with the jogging and soccer] but i have to go out tomarrow and get to work.
mj

Toy2
08-22-2005, 06:44 PM
I think its all about the freedom, you make the call, you don't have to deal with the basic BS....as for retirement.....you can't be sure you will live to see tomorrow.....9/11.....sure i think about it, but why stress about it, if you have life insurance, then the family is covered....if i need a job at 60, I'll just apply at Wally world......pushing baskets... :)

hole in one lco
08-22-2005, 06:51 PM
well i worked in the steel mill form the age of 17 till 24 making 40.00 welding.
I worked mon thru sat 5:00 till 7:00 in the winter i didn't see day light. Now i golf 3 times a week and banking the same amount of money.

Precision
08-22-2005, 08:45 PM
I think its all about the freedom, you make the call, you don't have to deal with the basic BS....as for retirement.....you can't be sure you will live to see tomorrow.....9/11.....sure i think about it, but why stress about it, if you have life insurance, then the family is covered....if i need a job at 60, I'll just apply at Wally world......pushing baskets... :)

Pardon the insult to follow.

That is plain stupid. Put some money away. Invest in an IRA/SEP IRA, buy a house or 5. The earlier you start the less you have to invest to have lots when you retire.

If you invest $3000 per year from age 21 to 31 (And stop investing) and return 8% each year, you will have more money at age 65 then if you invest $3000 each year from 32 to 65 earning the same exact growth (8%). Of course getting a steady 8% isn't easy, but that is why we diversify.

Kate Butler
08-22-2005, 09:01 PM
How bout full time Women too?
Landscaping is my choice and my love and my life ,
It is rewarding,satisfying,and fun.It is also very hard and demanding work that challenges both my mind and my body.
I worked many years in a closed environment ,warehouses with no windows,retail stores,offices
I have done many different jobs.
But none can compare to the freedom,fresh air,sunshine environment of this work.
It is addicting to be valued so much for what you do,to get complements every day,
to start with a ugly peice of ground that people are sick of looking at or a horribly planned and neglected garden and yard,
and turn it into a beutifull and usefull space that will be enjoyed by all for years to come.
To me it dosen't get any better than this.
I might start a nursery when I get to old to do this or just do design and consultation but I will do something connected to this industry when that time comes.

WHAT SHE SAID!!! Although I also have the nursery as an ancillary aspect of my landscaping business. That just means that I get really good wholesale prices (from myself) :laugh: :laugh:

northmichigan
08-22-2005, 09:12 PM
WHAT SHE SAID!!! Although I also have the nursery as an ancillary aspect of my landscaping business. That just means that I get really good wholesale prices (from myself) :laugh: :laugh:
are you saying that you are not getting as good a return from your nursery project as from your hardscape work? i thought i would move into a retail operation after the knees give out. although its more fun to travel around doing creative work.
mj

Kate Butler
08-22-2005, 10:04 PM
are you saying that you are not getting as good a return from your nursery project as from your hardscape work? i thought i would move into a retail operation after the knees give out. although its more fun to travel around doing creative work.
mj

Just the opposite - I was poking fun because I can make more money by supplying the plants that I use on jobs than if I had to go out and purchase them elsewhere. Plus they're already right there, ready to be loaded up: just pull 'em from the benches and go. Gas prices as they are, this is a huge plus. The closest large wholesaler to me is an hour and a half away. I use them if I must, but the distance REALLY adds to the plants' costs and eats into my time to be doing actual work (rather that just racking up the windshield time).

I began my business with the nursery. I had what I think of as "house gardens" (literally around the house) and they multiplied. And multiplied. The landscaping evolved from retail customers asking "Could you come and make my house look like this?" (Meaning the display gardens, beds, etc..)

Apologies for not being clearer in my original post.

jtrice11
08-23-2005, 01:16 PM
The work "is what it is" nothing glorious, no prestigious title etc... but I do find a sense of satisfaction in owning a business. Dealing with the legal issues, insurance, keeping employees motivated, bidding projects, etc...If it weren't for that, I'd go down in flames. I don't think I could ever mow grass or do landscaping for someone else, just as a job. Maybe when I was younger but not now.