PDA

View Full Version : very hard starting 22hp kohler

exandscag
08-22-2005, 02:30 PM
Could use some help in trying to find out what is the prob with my Exmark turf tracer 22hp kohler. The only way it will start is if I crank it over at full throttle with the chock on for 4 rev or so. Then turn off chock and crank for 4 or so more rev.Then lower the throttle all the way and go to the carb and with my finger move it to the idle stop. Then and only then will it start but then I have to move the throttle very slowly to fast so it will not die.
Ones it is running it is fine no misses no smoke no backfires just runs and cuts great.
Thanks for any and all help

MBDiagMan
08-22-2005, 03:12 PM
Sounds like a vacuum leak. Make sure the carburetor bolts are tight and look for any other leak between the carburetor butterfly and cylinder.

Good luck,

exandscag
08-23-2005, 08:52 AM
Checked yesterday for vac leaks and also sanded and reset the coils.
No vac leaks that i can find and spark looks strong.
Also compression is around 100 to 120 psi .
Did not do a leak down test yet still trying to rig something up that will work well for the test.
One of the things other then looking for vac leaks was i held my hand over the carb and cranked it over to feel the pull. did not suck me in but there was some. Should it be noticeably strong or just some pull is enough?

Thanks for the input sofar

exandscag
08-24-2005, 08:37 AM
Any one know how to set the governor or at least a base line?
I know some of you will say don't mess with it but I believe that the person that had the machine before me did. So if I can at least do some sort of test to rule it out then I can say that the machine is truly possessed!
Went threw the carb again yesterday as well as a better check for vac leaks. Still no leaks and carb looks great.
Also what about the fuel pump? Any one know the rite psi/volume it should be pumping?
Thanks