PDA

View Full Version : ever do an estimate for an ex lco?

bobbygedd
08-22-2005, 04:38 PM
i love it when the failures in this business, tell me, i'm doing it wrong. "well, i never charged extra for that." ..."well, i never did it that way....". ya, ok, WHAT HAPPENED? TELL ME??? i get the same ole story, " well, i got burnt out. well, there just wasn't enough money in it..." ya, ok. as i told yas, we put out alot of flyers. i'm getting tons of calls already, i did an estimate for a guy, gave him prices, he looks at me, and says, "your prices are out of line. I KNOW what the going rate is. i used to do this for a living." it turns out, he went under. he just couldn't cut it. wasn't making enough $$$, then getting popped with 2 employees and no payroll records, sunk him completely. my advice, don't take advice from people who have failed, or are failing. no, i didn't get the job

sildoc
08-22-2005, 05:07 PM
My first year I actually mowed for 2 larger LCO owners. They were so busy doing others that the last thing they wanted to do was their own. I'm guessing I was low enough that it was more than worth it for them and probably undercut myself quite a bit but that was part of my learning experience and how I learned to bid better.

Precision
08-22-2005, 07:51 PM
i love it when the failures in this business, tell me, i'm doing it wrong. "well, i never charged extra for that." ..."well, i never did it that way....". ya, ok, WHAT HAPPENED? TELL ME??? i get the same ole story, " well, i got burnt out. well, there just wasn't enough money in it..." ya, ok. as i told yas, we put out alot of flyers. i'm getting tons of calls already, i did an estimate for a guy, gave him prices, he looks at me, and says, "your prices are out of line. I KNOW what the going rate is. i used to do this for a living." it turns out, he went under. he just couldn't cut it. wasn't making enough $$$, then getting popped with 2 employees and no payroll records, sunk him completely. my advice, don't take advice from people who have failed, or are failing. no, i didn't get the job

I have never knowingly quoted an ex LCO. But I have quoted a few of their ex-wives. Most are really happy to tell me they know what it should cost because there ex-husband used to be an LCO.

I always respond by saying he used to be your husband or he used to own a lawn company? They say both. I smile and nod. Most of them get it that I am telling them he failed at more than just their marriage.

Some get annoyed, some shut up and become very polite. The former never go with me for some reason, the latter usually are good customers.

Shuter
08-22-2005, 07:58 PM
I used to take care of the summer property for an exec at Chemlawn. He never said anything.