PDA

View Full Version : Explain what a spring cleanup is

seacoastlandscape
08-22-2005, 09:24 PM
Im in the middle of writing a proposal for a yearly contract on 4 houses. Cant seem to get the right wording to explain the scope of a spring cleanup aside from fert. Any help would be great thanks.

seacoastlandscape
08-22-2005, 10:44 PM
anyone? I cant find anything from the search

Killswitch
08-22-2005, 10:58 PM
Its an additional charge for dropping your blade a few notches. lol

That and cleaning up any debris obviously, and general extra detailing like a good first edge, possibly some raking of snow mold areas, tidying up the beds of leaves and whatever, trimming fence lines, and of course it all depends on what the fall cleanup was like.

Selling an aeration at this time is a great idea as well.

firstclasslawncareandplow
08-22-2005, 11:39 PM
In my contracts a spring cleanup is just that: A cleanup of the lawn areas AND planting beds (bark/flower beds) from any leaves or winter debris. Just for the record too i charge about 1.5 that of a weekly cut. ex if you charge 30 per week to cut charge 45 for a spring cleanup.

Tvov
08-23-2005, 12:05 AM
A "spring cleanup" can vary immensely from property to property, what the winter weather was like, and how detailed the customer wants you to get. Sometimes a spring cleanup will run close to a fall leaf cleanup, with blowing/vacuuming leaves, cleaning out beds, edging, etc. Other times it is just the first mowing with a little backpack blower work through the beds. This probably doesn't help you much, huh?

topsites
08-23-2005, 12:10 AM
anyone? I cant find anything from the search

From my own experience, the FIRST mowing in spring takes a LOT longer because the yard is usually full of branches and twigs that fell during the winter and since it was cold and I have not serviced the yard in a few months, it's a bit of a mess and it takes longer.

Far as how to phrase it? Call it the post-winter cleanup, pick up branches / twigs and the leaves that fell since january blablabla...

Personally I don't charge extra for this because these are my year-round customers and the year-long thing makes up for it... But to each their own, I think to say the least it would boost your spring income while in my case it spreads it out over the year.

Of course you gotta watch out for the smart ones who want you to service the yard year-round BUT they haven't cleaned up their leaves at ALL and think they can get this in on the 'spring cleanup.' As a general rule when this happens, I could quote double the price just for the leaves but most of the time I get the hell out of there because I feel they're not being honest. That and once I put my push-blower under the house for the season it stays there until next fall, a concept perhaps people who don't do a LOT of leaves in the fall apparently can not grasp but also if someone has not done a thing ALL winter AND fall with their leaves then as far as I'm concerned, it is not important to them.

MarcSmith
08-23-2005, 07:47 AM
Think about what you would do to YOUR house in the spring...

Minor leaf clean up,
Twigs
Cut grass
Bed clean up
Edge (beds and walks)
minor pruning

AT TGLC we did our aeration in the fall in conjunction with over seeding....

RBP
08-23-2005, 07:25 PM
45.00 for a spring clean up ?Are you kidding?my average price for spring clean up is around 150 .00 to 175.00.Spring clean up consists of collecting and removing leaves and sticks from planting beds and lawn areas, anything else such as power raking ,aerating fertilizing or first mowing is extra and customer is billed for it.

Scottish LScape
08-23-2005, 09:21 PM
Im in the middle of writing a proposal for a yearly contract on 4 houses. Cant seem to get the right wording to explain the scope of a spring cleanup aside from fert. Any help would be great thanks.
Sea Coast! Here is what I use!!!
To include removal of accumulated sand from parking lots, walkways and grass areas, raking and removal of leaves from lawn and garden beds. Sand, leaves & debris removed from site. Dump fees where applicable.
Then you can add others items which may be needed additionally. IE. Liming, Fertilizing, brush removal, etc.
Good Luck

JimLewis
08-24-2005, 02:43 AM
I don't know about other parts of the country. But around here, it's just a general term people use and everyone has their own idea of what it means. So the best thing to do is get your customer to tell you what they expect for a spring clean-up.

We get a lot of calls for spring clean-ups or just clean-ups in general - any time of the year. But I always ask the customer for what they are looking for, specifically. Sometimes, they are open and will say, "You know... just the lawn mowed and a good edge put on, weed the bedsm, rake the leaves, and prune the shrubs." Or to others, it's just..."I just need a simple mow, edge, and leaf clean-up." Some customers act as if I should know what they are thinking and they'll say, "You know. Just your normal spring clean-up!" And so then I'll respond like this, "Well, to me, that means mowing, edging, weeding the beds, raking leaves in the beds, pruning, and fertilizing the lawn. Is that what you want?" And they may reply, "No. It doesn't have to be that thorough." Or they may say, "Yah! That's exactly what I need!"

Either way, I always make sure the customer tells me exactly what they expect when they say they want a spring clean-up. If you do it any other way, there's probably going to be a mis-communication.