PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filters???

mkwl
08-23-2005, 01:00 AM
Where do you guys get your oil filters? Up until now, I have been getting all of the oil filters for my Kawasaki engines from my dealer, but paying $9.00 for 1 filter is pretty expensive. Also, what brand is best? Thanks in advance.

CuttingCrew
08-23-2005, 02:16 AM
I use only Wix filters. Several studies I read rated them the highest but I'm sure there are other reports that rate another highest.

Mike

p.s. Filters are important but high quality oil is way more important. JMO

QualityLawnCare4u
08-23-2005, 02:20 AM
I get mine from the DC dealer for 4.50. Not sure what brand they are but never had a problem with them. One for my kaw. 23hp and kohler 27 is a little over 9 bucks with tax for both.

tacoma200
08-23-2005, 02:52 AM
I'm sure Kawasaki and Kohler have other companys make filters for them but not sure which one. Wick makes filters for alot of different companys. I buy the Kohler filters a least until the warranty runs out in case they try to blame it on a filter. Good luck.

lawncare4u
08-23-2005, 02:57 AM
You can check out Landscape supply,they carry Oregon oil filters.....be careful on useing cross referance auto filters on a mower,because they are not the same!A post on here awhile back stated that someone had them to blow off the engine!!

i_plant_art
08-23-2005, 03:05 AM
i get most everytrhing i need including filters from mowmore.com

Rayray
08-23-2005, 03:10 AM
I found the generic filter for my kawasaki at Autozone,,,i went from paying $12 to $2

topsites
08-23-2005, 03:45 AM
Where do you guys get your oil filters? Up until now, I have been getting all of the oil filters for my Kawasaki engines from my dealer, but paying $9.00 for 1 filter is pretty expensive. Also, what brand is best? Thanks in advance.

I get my filter for my 15hp Kohler from Advance Auto parts. It also costs 10 dollars at the stealer and Home Depot AND Advance sell an aftermarket for 9 dollars but you see, I get an AUTOMOTIVE equivalent filter for 3 bucks.

Now if you walk in there and ask someone to look it up, they will sell you the 9-dollar filter and NO they can not and will not cross-x it for you, so here's what I did:
- Walk in with the old filter and proceed to the automotive oil filter section (Yes it helps if you're a regular customer so they pay little to no attention to you).
- Look first at ALL the red-box AA storebrand filters.
- Look for a box which closely resembles your current filter in size and pull it off the shelf.
- Open the box AND check thread and gasket diameter:
- For the thread, I used my finger but careful you don't get it stuck. There's only 2 or 3 types of thread out there so this is usually easy to match. If the diameter of the thread is a match, check if it's fine or coarse thread as this needs to match as well.
- For the gasket diameter, I compared the filters side by side and next to each other and closely eyed it out.
- IF the filter you selected doesn't match, keep looking until you find one that does.
- Once you find it, WHEN you install it on your mower you will need to look CLOSELY to ensure the thread is a solid match AND also that the gasket forms a good seal: If both are ok then after you get done RUN the motor for 5-10 minutes and check for leaks.
- If everything is 100%, make SURE you write down the part-number someplace so you don't have to go through the rigmarole again.
p.s.: IF the red-box filters provide NO match then start checking Fram and all those brands but they ARE a dollar or so more.
p.s.s.: Please be neat, return ALL non-match filters to their proper place and don't leave the place a mess, then is no prob. I found the best way to do it is one filter at a time.

Couple of tips:
- The gasket does not have to be a PERFECT match, usually you can be as much as 1/4 of an inch off either way as the mating surface is USUALLY wider than the gasket so the only important part is that the gasket meet the mating surface 100%.
- The thread DOES need to be a perfect match, no exceptions.
- There is some bs ppl will try and feed you if they find out some nay-sayers will talk about the microns could be off and other folklore hoop-de-doo might make you think that using an Auto-filter on your lawnmower is the worst thing you could do in your entire life but I run AA storebrand filters on my car and if they're good enough for my bmw, then they're good enough for the Kohler AND I'm running both Kohlers with the 3-dollar filter nowadays.

Good luck!

Richard Martin
08-23-2005, 05:50 AM
Geez, that's a lotta work there topsites. For Kawasaki engines just tell them you have a 93 Geo Prizm, it's the same filter. Or you could use one of the many online cross references and use the Purolator L14476 number to find your favorite filter's number.

Bunton Guy
08-23-2005, 07:12 AM
I get all of mine at wal-mart for under 2 bucks.

mkwl
08-23-2005, 09:40 AM
Thanks guys! Keep the responses coming!

ProLawns
08-23-2005, 09:51 AM
The 12.5 and the 23 hp Kawasaki take a Fram PH2951. I've been using that filter for years. It's the same filter my wife's car uses. Get it from Wal-Mart or an auto parts store. You might want to check with Kawasaki to make sure it doesn't void the warranty on new engines. Some manufactures are always looking for ways out of warranty claims.

Richard Martin
08-23-2005, 02:39 PM
You might want to check with Kawasaki to make sure it doesn't void the warranty on new engines. Some manufactures are always looking for ways out of warranty claims.

Just keep the old Kawasaki oil filter in reserve. Before you take it in pop your favorite filter off and put the Kaw filter on. They'll never know the difference.

prizeprop
08-23-2005, 03:08 PM
The 12.5 and the 23 hp Kawasaki take a Fram PH2951. I've been using that filter for years. It's the same filter my wife's car uses. Get it from Wal-Mart or an auto parts store. You might want to check with Kawasaki to make sure it doesn't void the warranty on new engines. Some manufactures are always looking for ways out of warranty claims.
How much? Ive been paying $7 at the dealer.

MBDiagMan
08-23-2005, 03:14 PM
Guys, I would caution against taking any old filter that is similar size and will screw in place and considering that an adequate replacement.

The reason is that some engines have the bypass valve in the engine, while other filters have the bypass valve in the filter. Going through boxes may very well get you the right filter, but if the bypass valve is not correct for your engine it could cause problems in the future.

What you might do is when it comes first oil change time, get the factory filter and change everything, THEN cut the old filter apart and see if it has a bypass valve. If it does not, then you will be good to go with a straight filter that does not contain a bypass valve. You might have to cut open a new one to verify that it is a straight filter.

If it turns out that your filter DOES have a bypass valve, then proceed with caution and get one that is correct for your engine.

Good luck,
Doc

topsites
08-23-2005, 04:23 PM
You can check out Landscape supply,they carry Oregon oil filters.....be careful on useing cross referance auto filters on a mower,because they are not the same!A post on here awhile back stated that someone had them to blow off the engine!!

Well no of course you are 100% responsible if you do the cross-referencing and you skru it up then you got nobody to blame but as for me, I got tired of paying exhorbitant prices. So yes you need some experience and I forgot to mention you need to be using at LEAST a synthetic racing blend of oil and again you need to be sure the filter is a good fit because if it is not then it can and will leak out enough oil for this to happen.

Far as what filter to use, I bought a Briggs & Stratton 13hp engine 3 years ago that came with NO filter so as far as I'm concerned so long you:
- Use at least a synthetic blend oil.
- Check the oil regularly.
- Change it once it turns some color (i mean some COLOR, not SOME color.)
Then you really don't even need the filter so long you don't run it until the oil turns black, except diesel.

Now I'm 38 years old and have always done my own oil and filter changes and I also watch out for running the motors on steep inclines which can cause oil starvation hence the reason for using superior synthetic lubrication... In all these years I've blown 2 motors, one WAS my fault because I forgot to check the oil and it ran low but it was also running standard oil instead of a synth or blend... the other motor I blew on purpose just because I always wondered what really WOULD happen when you sustained a rev right around the governor speed with regular oil as I wanted to confirm my suspicions and the motor was a P O S - If you run a standard oil then you can lock up your motor even if you put the BEST 100-dollar oil filter on your machine.

TTG
08-23-2005, 07:30 PM
Fram- WalMart, Save your money.

DynaMow
08-23-2005, 08:38 PM
I use Wix they look cool and the color matches my mower

Albemarle Lawn
08-23-2005, 11:44 PM
kawasaki = same as 93 toyota corolla or geo prism.

Autozone # S4967

Ramairfreak98ss
08-24-2005, 12:24 AM
ok so we know what the kawasakis use, what do the 27hp kohler commands or probably all kohler engines use?

Brianslawn
08-24-2005, 12:47 AM
ok so we know what the kawasakis use, what do the 27hp kohler commands or probably all kohler engines use?

wix 51348

ive seen 3 different heights for kohler filters. that wix # is medium and works on all my walker kohlers. some mowers you might need shorter filter though. anyone got a K&N # for kohler oil or donaldson air filters?

Richard Martin
08-24-2005, 05:14 AM
what do the 27hp kohler commands or probably all kohler engines use?

Purolator L10241

kawasakitech
09-19-2005, 05:30 PM
Warranty fraud is highly punishable. I've got your name.

nriddle77
09-19-2005, 05:51 PM
Bought mine on e-bay. I can't remember what I paid per filter, but it was much less than $7 each at the dealer.

barnard
09-19-2005, 06:17 PM
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and the regulations of the Federal Trade commision state that a manufacturer offering a warranty may NOT condition that warranty on using parts identified by brand or corporate name, unless the manufacturer is providing that part free for a warranty repair. Use all the aftermarket parts you want.

MBDiagMan
09-19-2005, 09:19 PM
Kawasakitech,

I find it quite ironic, if not downright alarming, that right after reading a lengthy thread indicating that a number of people have had trouble getting Kawasaki to recognize their warranty needs, that "Kawasakitech" here indicates that he is taking names so that he can use the information to deny warranty claims.

It's as if one thread confirms the other.

I have a brand new mower that I am quite proud of with a liquid cooled Kawasaki engine. Had I known that Kawasaki is spending their time trying to find excuses for not doing warranty work rather than taking care of their customers that spend their hard earned money with them, I would not have gone to so much trouble to buy a Kawasaki powered mower.

What I have seen in the past is a cycle with such manufacturer behavior. If their denying warranty claims is indeed true, it will catch up with them. If at that time they are smart enough, rather than too arrogant to take care of their customers, they will right their wrong and survive. If they don't heed the warning from the market, their sales will suffer.

In the past I have had some good Kawasaki products, but I certainly hope that I am not buying this one at the wrong time in their cycle of arrogance.

And to think that I went out of my way to buy the products of such an arrogant bunch.

Have a great day,
Doc

ProLawns
09-19-2005, 09:31 PM
Kawasakitech. Does using a different brand filter void the warranty?

topsites
09-19-2005, 09:43 PM
Geez, that's a lotta work there topsites. For Kawasaki engines just tell them you have a 93 Geo Prizm, it's the same filter. Or you could use one of the many online cross references and use the Purolator L14476 number to find your favorite filter's number.

LOL I wish I had known what car takes a Kohler filter :)

topsites
09-19-2005, 10:00 PM

You must be a sponsor... sux, can't say much.

Soupy
09-19-2005, 10:08 PM
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and the regulations of the Federal Trade commision state that a manufacturer offering a warranty may NOT condition that warranty on using parts identified by brand or corporate name, unless the manufacturer is providing that part free for a warranty repair. Use all the aftermarket parts you want.

This is true. I emailed Kohler awhile back and asked them if I could use a Wix filter and they said yes, and included info about the Magnuson-Moss act.

topsites
09-19-2005, 10:27 PM
Pardon me for being so stupid and ignorant, but being that I am human, what exactly ARE warranties for?
Technically speaking, warranties are for manufacturer defects ONLY.

That having been said, do you know what kind of warranty *I* like?
I like the kind where I can beat it a few times with a sledgehammer, run it upside down and burn the paint off with a blowtorch then drown it in a lake so it runs water through the fuel lines ON PURPOSE, then when I bring it in they ask me NO questions but simply hand me a replacement.
THAT'S what I'm talking about!

Ok maybe not quite but you get the idea, we shouldn't be pestered over specs and technicalities, we didn't build it, we just bought it and if they were kind enough to offer a warranty, then please cover it when it's broken, doesn't really matter what the reason and thank you.

tm ent.
09-19-2005, 10:41 PM
Anybody have info on what filters fit a 24hp honda?

MBDiagMan
09-19-2005, 10:56 PM
topsites,

I agree with you to a point, that is assuming that your intentional abuse description is a tongue in cheek example.

I got out of the Army in 1971 and worked for awhile at a Dodge Trucks Facility that was owned directly by Chrysler Corporation and served as a warranty center for Chrysler vehicles. At that time Chrysler was running a 50,000 mile warranty on their vehicles.

I saw MANY small trucks come in the shop with 49,900+ miles showing on the odometer, were worn COMPLETELY OUT and the speedometer cable was dangling underneath the dash. We would spend thousands of dollars on MAJOR rebuilds of major components, reconnect the speedometer and send them on their way without one thin dime out of their pocket. We did that because that's the way we were instructed to handle it.

Doing major warranty work on a vehicle that has been driven hard and maybe even not maintained to the letter of the warranty is one thing. Doing the same on a vehicle that OBVIOUSLY has many more miles than was agreed to be covered by the warranty is totally something else.

If the vehicle has less than 50,000 accurate miles even if not taken care of well, it seems much more legitimate than someone who is deliberately cheating by falsifying the mileage on the vehicle.

All that said, I believe that the mfg. has the right to examine the reason for the failure and if they can prove with no doubt that it was intentionally abused or neglected that they have the right to refuse the warranty claim. At the same time if the mfg. is just looking for excuses to refuse warranty claims then they are the ones doing the cheating.

Have a great day,
Doc

Envy Lawn Service
09-19-2005, 11:44 PM

That's a big ol CROCK!!!

Truth is... there are not actually that many makers of oil filters.
Plenty of different names stuck on them, but not near that many makers.

fool32696
09-20-2005, 12:49 AM
I've been running my 20hp briggs vangaurd with a napa filter for probably the past 800hrs. Can't remember the part number but the guy at napa said it was off an older 4cylinder chrysler. I get these filters for about $2.50 each. My dealer saw it on there and got really pissed saying if you wanted you engine to last you'd use a briggs filter(he sells for $10). I told him that I'd take my chances. He just charged me $22 for a Rotary brand hydro filter (I believe I was royally screwed). For now on I'm buying hydro filters online. I figure that the napa filter with a little more capacity actually cools the oil more. What do you guy's think about the filter's effect on engine longevity. I change the oil and filter religiously every 50hrs.

RedWolf
09-20-2005, 01:22 AM
I deal with napa all the time and i have had no probs with the napa filters.i brought one for my 12.5 kohler and 16 briggs intek and have had no trouble with them.I also get my hydro filters from them (and yes napa can cross hydro filters)and no probs.The guys there are always helpful and are great to deal with.

Keith
09-20-2005, 02:32 AM

My, my, my...you are quite an asset to Kawasaki. Threatening people with warranty fraud :rolleyes: Would simply having a non-Kawasaki branded filter on be enough to void a warranty? How many people do you think have been denied warranty work based solely on a non-Kawasaki part being found on their engine, and without it ever being proven that the aftermarket part caused the failure? A few, I'm guessing. Now, who committed fraud in those cases?

Richard Martin
09-20-2005, 05:00 AM
LOL I wish I had known what car takes a Kohler filter :)

Purolator L10241

Brianslawn
09-20-2005, 05:47 AM
now i know why i use kohler engines... bill, shove a telephone pole up kawaskitechs @$$

just special ordered some k&n oil and air filters for my walkers. ill let you know part #s if they work. been using k&n for trucks

Lance L
09-26-2005, 02:04 PM
I know WIX makes good oil filters i thought i would go ahead and put the link for there site on here, you can just enter the number off of your original oil fiter and it will tell you what you need to use, its a pretty detailed database... it lists every application the filter is used in from fork lifts to cars to generators, showed whilch exmark mowers and john deer tractors etc my filter was used on, and even the geo prizm =P

my 17hp kawi lazer uses wix # 51394

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/index.asp

JMB
09-26-2005, 05:14 PM
Why spend 10K on a mower and chinch on the filter.
PersonallyI wouldn't put a Fram filter on anything. I have seen more than one engine damaged because of these filters. Here is a link to a study on oil filters for motorcycles, and another for cars. As you can see not all filters are created equal.
http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/fram.shtml
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html
Conclusions: http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html#conclusion
Link to an emil fro an "ex" Fram engineer:
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilter-fram1.txt
A good filter and quality oil is the cheapest insurance you can buy for your engines.