PDA

View Full Version : Keep blowing brake light fuse

Edgewater
08-23-2005, 09:15 AM
I have an 88 F-250 that keeps blowing the brake light fuse. It pulls a 16 foot trailer with electric breaks. If I replace the fuse, it will not burn right away, it will last most of a day. Can't seem to find the cause.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Jamesgateslandscaping
08-23-2005, 05:30 PM
The lighting system on the trailer is being grounded to the frame, which is causing the blow, happened to mine last week. Check it with a meter and there should be a resistence because of the lights, if there isnt any there is def. a ground fault.
Thanks
James

Edgewater
08-23-2005, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the help, I have two PJ trailers, one with brakes and one w/o.

I have checked several times and they seem ok tonight. I am begining to think that they may only cause problems when it's raining. It's definately the trailer though because it does it on two different trucks

PLM-1
08-23-2005, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the help, I have two PJ trailers, one with brakes and one w/o.

I have checked several times and they seem ok tonight. I am begining to think that they may only cause problems when it's raining. It's definately the trailer though because it does it on two different trucks

Mine used to only blow when it rained. It was the brake controller fuse though. I ended up just putting a breaker in it.