PDA

View Full Version : Echo Line Feeding

Blue Ridge
08-23-2005, 10:03 AM
I have an older (early 90's) Echo SRM something or other that I am getting fed up with. When I want it to feed by tapping it on the ground, it won't. Then it will feed whenever it feels like it.

Any ideas? Does it need a new head? Are there aftermarket heads that are more reliable?

mcwlandscaping
08-23-2005, 10:08 AM
Try a new head, that should work. Or maybe just a new trimmer! Nah, a new head should work, Good Luck

lotamow
08-23-2005, 01:17 PM
I have a newer one that will do that occasionally, don't know if yours is the same problem or not, but mine is caused by the line getting pinched inside the spool.

I will tap it and no line comes out, but there is enough movement to release the locking mechanism in the head, then as I am running it the line will finally release and it will feed the line out unexpectedly.

Like I said mine is caused by not winding the line on the spool quite right and it gets hung up. I usually have this happen when I am in a hurry to reload a spool and don't take my time with it. This may be what you are seeing.

Blue Ridge
08-24-2005, 11:50 AM
That is entirely possible. I keep forgetting which direction to wind it, too! Alot of times when I look at the head, the center is poking out a little, like it came out of its locked position.

I have a newer one that will do that occasionally, don't know if yours is the same problem or not, but mine is caused by the line getting pinched inside the spool.

I will tap it and no line comes out, but there is enough movement to release the locking mechanism in the head, then as I am running it the line will finally release and it will feed the line out unexpectedly.

Like I said mine is caused by not winding the line on the spool quite right and it gets hung up. I usually have this happen when I am in a hurry to reload a spool and don't take my time with it. This may be what you are seeing.

The Captain
08-24-2005, 01:14 PM
Mine will 'lock up' with the spool stuck down in the head. I have to use a channel lock pliers to turn/release it. I've noticed a build up of grass clippings and dirt around the ilets inside inside the head. I clean/scrap the crud out, check the line on the spool, reinstall and go back to work.

Also, sometimes the improperly wond line gets so hot (from friction), it will fuse itself to the line on the spool and not feed properly. You should be able to see this whn you open the spool.

Jim

Eddie B
08-24-2005, 01:22 PM
purchase an echo pro head, they are about 25 bucks

Shane7258
08-24-2005, 01:35 PM
On the bottom side of the spool there is an arrow that points to the direction of the wind I had the same problem and got a new head and it works great if you are unsure how to change the head which is very simple there is a hole under the head near the shaft that you insert a pin or phillips screwdriver and then turn the head on echos its righty loosey and lefty tighty lol

GLC51
08-24-2005, 04:25 PM
The spool on the Echo isn't very good I don't know about the new style head. The spool never stays locked up just sort of hangs kept on by the trimmer line. Of course you need to wind it the correct way. I always had problems with it getting stuck when using square line so Iv'e been using round line for years now, it costs less and cuts just as good as far as I'm concerned.

sheshovel
08-24-2005, 05:20 PM
If it has two lines running out of the head then one line is wound left and the other right .

ed2hess
08-24-2005, 05:36 PM
If it has two lines running out of the head then one line is wound left and the other right .
Got 20 Echo units in use all working fine. I believe if you have a standard head both lines are wrapped in the same direction according to the arrow. Don't overload the heads. And if you lock them in the notch they don't ever come off until they are worn out. Clean up the parts and lube them and that might help. Be sure the eyelets are not worn out, if they are replace the head. The generic head are around $20 and are equal to the ones from echo.
Good Luck.

Wolfie's L&L
08-24-2005, 09:42 PM
purchase an echo pro head, they are about 25 bucks

I have the same type (I think) on an Echo at work, where you just feed the line from either side in, cut it off at a certain length, then it locks the line in the head. You never need to spool line again!! I think this is the product Bailey is talking about, correct me if I'm wrong.

Jason

Turfdude
08-24-2005, 09:49 PM
Amateurs! IF its the echo head that was most prominent at that time, replace the white piece w/ the 2 "tits" on it. The plastic knobs are worn & cause the spool to slide & feed line unnecessarily. Do yourself a favor & begin to switch over to redmax. Their trimmers are built at least 4X's better all around from power unit to shaft drive & head.

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-24-2005, 10:22 PM
Which model do you have that this applies to?

sheshovel
08-28-2005, 05:04 AM
My Echo streight shaft trimmer,one arrow shows wind one way and the other shows the other way.I SWEAR!
UHUHH_OH,.. :blush: ....
I'd better look and make sure!

ProLawns
08-28-2005, 08:44 AM
Echo has changed the design of the head. The new 210's have a head with two channels one for each line but you can still wind them both at the same time. It takes a few seconds more to refill with line but they solved the problem of the line getting pinched within itself. Been using one for about three months and haven't had one malfunction yet.

Runner
08-28-2005, 03:48 PM
20 years of using Echo bump heads, and I've had no trouble with them...Why is that? On a RARE occasion, the line DOES get twisted inside or pinched. I think alot of that is in the loading. It only happens when someone else loads them.

ed2hess
08-28-2005, 04:21 PM
My Echo streight shaft trimmer,one arrow shows wind one way and the other shows the other way.I SWEAR!
UHUHH_OH,.. :blush: ....
I'd better look and make sure!
You are exactly correct some of them have arrow in both direction? I never paid any attention to that before you pointed it out. I wonder if the ones purchased from Echo have arrows in one direction and the generic ones -from places like JD- have arrows in both directions? Maybe I can learn something here we always wind both lines in same dirrection, will they feed if you wind them in opposite directions? And the main reason most people use the Echo kind of head on every brand is to make it easy for crews. You don't want a bunch of different kinds of heads even though you are using different brands of trimmers.

LB1234
08-28-2005, 05:01 PM
Amateurs! IF its the echo head that was most prominent at that time, replace the white piece w/ the 2 "tits" on it. The plastic knobs are worn & cause the spool to slide & feed line unnecessarily. Do yourself a favor & begin to switch over to redmax. Their trimmers are built at least 4X's better all around from power unit to shaft drive & head.

I couldn't agree with that statement more. HAD three echo trimmers. We are down to one now. These things just don't last. Moved over to the redmax 3000Z or whatever that model number is. Bought it last year...love it love it love it. The design is better in just about every aspect. From the trimmer head, durability, placement of wires, air filters, etc. We are extremely satisfied with it.

With that said...we are very disappointed with the redmax backpack blower. We bought the 8000 cause we wanted something with a lot of power for help with the upcoming leaf season. The 8000 is sooooo much heavier, its uncomfortable the way it sits on your back, its very bulky, the throttle stick/cable is way to short and is difficult to manuever, its harder to place on the hanger in the enclosed trailer. In our opinion it doesn't compare to our Echo 650. We wouldn't mind the extra weight/bulkiness if it offered more power than the 650...we had them side by side...I don't know neither of us noticed the difference.

Bottom line, we prefer the redmax trimmers but echo blowers.