PDA

View Full Version : Trimmer and Edger engine CCs? 21/30?

Ramairfreak98ss
08-23-2005, 12:27 PM
Ive used a echo 21cc trimmer for a few years, also had a POS troy bilt and the same thing, a cub cadet clone of the troy bilt from lowes. The troy bilt thing is 31cc and eats gas, the 31cc Cub is clankly and just a POS imho. BUT it easily has more power than my 21cc echo trimmer.

Will a high end, redmax, stihl or echo 31cc OUT power the pos 30cc i have now? What im asking is that do i NEED to get a 30+cc echo or commercial equivalent to match the power level of the cheap lowes off the shelf models. Will a 24-26cc trimmer do for the power im looking for? Im also going to get a real edger, strait shaft bent forward not curved sideways with at least 26cc power, most likely an echo too.

Killswitch
08-23-2005, 12:31 PM
I use a Stihl fs100 but Tanaka stuff is good gear...just not sold around me for some reason.

Its 31 cc's but 25 cc's is plenty in my opinion.

Howie's Lawn Care
08-23-2005, 12:55 PM
My Shindaiwa LE261 edger is only 24.5cc. It's not the cc, its the HP. My edger is 1.3HP, the same as the Stihl FC110 edger. However, the Stihl edger is 31.4cc. A 6.9cc difference and no difference in horsepower. Look at the horsepower on the edgers and trimmers, even blowers.

Mattquist
08-23-2005, 05:01 PM
I have used echo in the past, and am currently using a Kaw 27 trimmer....extremely happy with, by the way. I find that there are 2 things that make a trimmer work well or not:

1. Quality line. I use the Shakespeare twisted blue line. Makes a world of difference over the round line that I was using before.

2. Remember, that this is a trimmer, not a 21 inch mower. Leave the guard in place. It keeps the length of line at a reasonable length. Longer line increases the load on the engine and the clutch (a.k.a. mechanical failure). Plus, it's safer. There are reasons why they are on there. Ask your local mechanic how often he sees trimmers with burnt out clutches, stripped gears, and tweaked shafts on those with vs. without the guard in-place.

Now, let the flames begin.....

dvmcmrhp52
08-23-2005, 06:22 PM
As has been mentioned horsepower is more important than engine size. A 25 CC motor can have more or less horsepower from 2 different manufacturers based on engine design and carburetion.