PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic NO SMOKE TWO STROKE?

Envy Lawn Service
08-23-2005, 01:40 PM
Anyone use ALCO's Synthetic No Smoke Two Stroke with fuel stabilizer?

It's another Multi-Ratio/One Mix for all air cooled two stroke engines like Opti-2 is. I picked up a bottle the other day and it says it meets OEM spec ISO E-GD & JASO-FC. I'm thinking of trying it, and possibly switching if I like it.

It's not that I am not pleased with my long term use of the Opti-2, but rather it would be somewhat more convenient for me to switch to the ALCO. The Opti-2 is getting more troublesome to get. I just got some again recently and had to run the Poulan Synthetic in between. Now I'm almost out again.

So when I saw this ALCO stuff, I picked up a bottle because it was right there and easy for me to get like the Poulan Synthetic, which seemed to do fine, but was smokey and also a 40:1 mix.

So what do you all think? Put forth the extra effort to stay with the Opti-2 which has done well for me... or is this ALCO Synthetic No Smoke Two Stroke mix oil just as good???

65hoss
08-23-2005, 01:44 PM
I get my small engine shop to order me the 1 gal size of Opti 2. I got the pump for it 2 yrs ago and it saved me a good bit of money and time by using that setup. As far as the other oil...I can't say.

kels
08-23-2005, 11:46 PM
The alco no smoke is all I have been using since day one, not a problem in redmax equipment or the toro suzuki 2 stroke mower.

Jagor
08-24-2005, 09:37 PM
Envy,

If you have proven and are satisfied with Opti Products why experiment with anything else? Restocking is as easy as a phone call. Plus we pay the freight. See our listing under new "Lawnsite Product Showcase"

Regards,
Jim
Jagor Equipment Tool & Supply

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-24-2005, 10:13 PM
Actually, if I may, I was going to ask soon what the best option was for 2-stroke oil. Since the other thread covered the 4-stoke engine oil so well (I need to go back and study that one some more), I've been meaning to ask about 2-stroke.

For years I've used the Echo oil I get from Home Depot. I have some Amsoil I bought for model boat racing and was thinking of going to that. From my experience with motorcycles, I really like synthetic when I can afford it. I read in a thread recently that the Amsoil didn't have a fuel stabilizer, so it may not be the best choice.

I just bought a new Robin 2050 trimmer and they recommend 50:1 if I use Robin oil or 25:1 if I use any other brand! Care to give a class on this or just tell me what to buy?

grass_cuttin_fool
08-24-2005, 10:56 PM
Actually, if I may, I was going to ask soon what the best option was for 2-stroke oil. Since the other thread covered the 4-stoke engine oil so well (I need to go back and study that one some more), I've been meaning to ask about 2-stroke.

For years I've used the Echo oil I get from Home Depot. I have some Amsoil I bought for model boat racing and was thinking of going to that. From my experience with motorcycles, I really like synthetic when I can afford it. I read in a thread recently that the Amsoil didn't have a fuel stabilizer, so it may not be the best choice.

I just bought a new Robin 2050 trimmer and they recommend 50:1 if I use Robin oil or 25:1 if I use any other brand! Care to give a class on this or just tell me what to buy?
I have the same trimmer actually 3 of them, I use Stihl and No-smoke @50:1

grass_cuttin_fool
08-24-2005, 11:02 PM
Anyone use ALCO's Synthetic No Smoke Two Stroke with fuel stabilizer?

It's another Multi-Ratio/One Mix for all air cooled two stroke engines like Opti-2 is. I picked up a bottle the other day and it says it meets OEM spec ISO E-GD & JASO-FC. I'm thinking of trying it, and possibly switching if I like it.

It's not that I am not pleased with my long term use of the Opti-2, but rather it would be somewhat more convenient for me to switch to the ALCO. The Opti-2 is getting more troublesome to get. I just got some again recently and had to run the Poulan Synthetic in between. Now I'm almost out again.

So when I saw this ALCO stuff, I picked up a bottle because it was right there and easy for me to get like the Poulan Synthetic, which seemed to do fine, but was smokey and also a 40:1 mix.

So what do you all think? Put forth the extra effort to stay with the Opti-2 which has done well for me... or is this ALCO Synthetic No Smoke Two Stroke mix oil just as good???
I have used the No-Smoke off and on for the last 3 years and I like it and see no problems with it. The last I bought cost me around 32 cents per gallon mix. I also use Stihl oil because we have a dealer in each town. Stihl oil cost me about 50 cents per gallon mix, but I get fumes and smoke with the Stihl oil that I dont with the No-Smoke brand. I havent ever tried the opti brand so I cant comment on it

Jagor
08-24-2005, 11:09 PM
Lawn Ranger,

There are many posts on 2 cycle oils on this forum, most swearing by or at a particular product. As an Opti dealer and user for past 20 years I would say any quality brand of oil mixed properly (according to oil manufacturers directions) in equipment that is maintained and used correctly will give sastifactory service.
But, if you want a little more protection for the time that your crew didn't mix fuel exactly, equipment got abused, engine over reved, wasn't running quite right but had to finish job or you would like to get the most hours possible out of your engine then a premium oil is worth considering.

Regards,
Jim

Opti-2 is rated ISO-EG-D+, the highest rating available in the stringent International Standards Organization global performance ratings system. Opti-2 meets and exceeds all equipment manufacturers rating requirements.

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-24-2005, 11:18 PM
I have the same trimmer actually 3 of them, I use Stihl and No-smoke @50:1
Before I bought it, I used the search tool (KIDS) and saw that you seem to be pleased with them. I used it on the one yard I did today with the mix the dealer put in it and didn't notice any smoke. I didn't think to ask him what oil he used. The mix looks light green.

I used a Weedeater Featherlite (I know, scru... scour) for the past ten years and used to feel like an artist with it. :cool2: I could do whatever I wanted with it. Now it's like I'm a complete amateur learning this new tool. ;)

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-24-2005, 11:35 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the advice. As long as I can stand on my own two feet, I don't plan to hire any crew but I would like to take good care of the equipment.

I'll take a look at Opti-2