PDA

View Full Version : What's this stuff in the picture called?

Envy Lawn Service
08-23-2005, 02:40 PM
Hey guys... What's this stuff called?
I haven't seen any in a long time.

imograss
08-23-2005, 03:07 PM
Cant really tell by the pic, but it looks kind of like nutsedge.

John Gamba
08-23-2005, 03:10 PM

This is what i thought. It seems to short and it seems to be branching out at the top.

Envy

Take a pic from the side.
John

65hoss
08-23-2005, 03:20 PM
Yep! That is what it looks like.

ProLawns
08-23-2005, 03:29 PM
It's killinga. It's a member of the nutsedge family.

MarcSmith
08-23-2005, 03:37 PM
Id even go as far to say Yellow Nutsedge. go to your local chemical shop and if you got a License, the'll let you buy something called MANAGE its a small container about as large as a big bottle of tylenol. it is specifically for Nutsedge.....works good, and will not harm most grasses. It has a side effect in that it also gets out dollar weed, but is not labeled as such

Sedge is a water freindly plant, but once established and can survive well on low water...

http://www.monsanto.com/ito/products/manage.html

good luck you only need a bit less than a teaspoon for 1000 sqft. it is a water soluable granular product.

John Gamba
08-23-2005, 03:38 PM
Are nut sedge is very tall with about two shoots coming out of the top.
John

Envy Lawn Service
08-23-2005, 03:46 PM
This is what i thought. It seems to short and it seems to be branching out at the top.

Envy

Take a pic from the side.
John

Here is a second look from the side.
Just didn't post it first because you can't see the ball in the fork of the tri-blades.

MarcSmith
08-23-2005, 03:51 PM
It can get about 12" tall and it grown twice as fast as anything around it. if you have it you could come back in two days it will be 2" higher than the rest of the turf.
http://weeds.cropsci.uiuc.edu/images/Yellow%20nutsedge/

also if you look at the cross section of the botom of the stem it will apear to be triangular....

i_plant_art
08-23-2005, 03:59 PM
like eveyone esle has said ill have to agree its definatly nutsedge esp by looking at the second pics its more apparent

ProLawns
08-23-2005, 04:05 PM
It's kyllinga. See it at this site.

http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/kylbr.htm

Envy Lawn Service
08-23-2005, 05:23 PM
It's kyllinga. See it at this site.

http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/kylbr.htm

Ding-ding-ding!!! That's correct.
I still don't remember what we called it when I was a kid.

I have not encountered any of it in many years, not until this year anyways, and I've been meaning to talk a bit about it. I think what some my find interesting or even amusing is that it can be managed into a beautiful lawn and is purposefully used in that manor, yet is rarely seen. An ornamental turfgrass lawn of sorts if you will.

I had intended to post pictures of this lawn and have a little hoax-type fun. But I decided not to once I began to wonder more about if anyone else sees this stuff used this way on purpose?

It really can make a nice lawn in the right place. But as someone else mentioned, my god does it ever grow fast!!! And if it is not a pure stand, it will out grow everything else by several inches in one week.

Maitland Man
08-23-2005, 05:25 PM
.........it's all over the place down here in Florida...beds, turf, growing out of the cracks in concrete...........I hate that stuff!

Dennis

lawnmaniac883
08-23-2005, 06:10 PM
LOL, I was bout to say that it was a weed.

WarEagleCRL
08-24-2005, 01:23 AM
MSMA will smoke it, if you dont want to spend the $$$ on manor

burns60
08-24-2005, 01:28 AM
Does this weed or whatever have a distinct odor when it is mowed?

Envy Lawn Service
08-24-2005, 01:43 AM
Does this weed or whatever have a distinct odor when it is mowed?

Yeah it does... some varieties do more than others from what I understand.
One variety is literally called "Fragrant Kyllinga."
But frankly I don't know one from the other.
Until this year I had not cut any since I was just a kid.
But back in those days I didn't care about varieties.
All I knew was it smelled funny.
If I smelled that smell it was like smelling money.
Cause I knew I'd get paid to cut it twice a week often.

But anyways, I still can't remember what us hillbillys used to call it back in the day.

Richard Martin
08-24-2005, 05:10 AM
I hate that stuff with a passion. Here it grows where there is a lot of moisture, in drainage ditches and along low lying waterfronts. Next to that stuff crabgrass is easy to cut.

Envy Lawn Service
08-24-2005, 07:50 AM
I hate that stuff with a passion. Here it grows where there is a lot of moisture, in drainage ditches and along low lying waterfronts. Next to that stuff crabgrass is easy to cut.

Yep, it can be a challenge. Yes it is very hearty around ground water. Near springs, brooks, streams, ponds, lakes, and last, but certainly not least, anywhere in the river bottoms back in the mountains. Anywhere the water table is high this stuff can thrive.

NC Big Daddy
08-24-2005, 08:10 AM
That is Yellow Nutsedge in the first picture not Green Kyllinga.

ProLawns
08-24-2005, 08:20 AM
That is Yellow Nutsedge in the first picture not Green Kyllinga.
It has the distinct burr with three blades branching out horizontally directly underneath that's why I believe it's kyllinga. Nutsedge has a tassle on the top and not a burr.

TClawn
08-24-2005, 09:59 PM
It has the distinct burr with three blades branching out horizontally directly underneath that's why I believe it's kyllinga. Nutsedge has a tassle on the top and not a burr.

it IS kyllinga. that stuff will take down a good looking lawn in no time if it is left to grow.

the ones that were formerly bermuda, but are now kyllinga, looks very good. it is a sedge, so a lot of controls won't touch it.