PDA

View Full Version : Tightening Blade Bolts on Exmark

Fubba
08-23-2005, 03:24 PM
I have had my Exmark 52" 23hp for about 3 or so weeks now and am planning on changing the blades today or tomorrow. It says that I should torque the bolts to 115 ft-lbs. or 120 ft-lbs. I can't remember. I don't have a torque wrench. Do all of you torque them down to these exact numbers or do you just tighten them up to about what you think? Is it really that important?

lazer 46
08-23-2005, 04:11 PM
I torque them to the required specs. i bet i am in the minority on this.

jbell113
08-23-2005, 04:42 PM
I tighten as tight as I can with a pull handle and a 1 foot pipe on the end of it.

Jpocket
08-23-2005, 04:52 PM
They don't need to be that tight...jus make em as tight as u con witha ratchet.

Fubba
08-23-2005, 05:01 PM
I just talked to my dealer. He said that I should just tighten them as much as I can. They don't have to be exact. I'm guessing they were probably hit with a lawsuit from a blade coming out from under a deck because there is that sticker on the deck now. Thanks for the input though.

Bulletproof
08-23-2005, 05:34 PM
We never used to torque to exact specifics, but we recently bought a torque wrench and now torque exactly, a good little investment. I think it was roughly $50 CDN.

The only problem we have now is getting the blades off easily, our compressor isn't powerful enough so we've been taking it to a friends which is a major PITA.

T Edwards
08-23-2005, 05:58 PM
If you're tightening the nuts as tight as you can you are far exceeding the 120 spec.

Be sure to install the compression washers back on correctly. These help hold down the required torque.

elamey
08-23-2005, 06:11 PM
Tip: Buy yourself an electric impact wrench...it turns the job from an hour of hell to 10 minutes of hell....still hell mind you, but much less :)

My electric impact wrench torques to 240 ft/lb...so that's how much I tighten them.

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-23-2005, 06:52 PM
I've got one of those breaker type torque wrenches that I've set to 70 foot-pounds as per Ferris specs. Very simple to use. :)

Fubba
08-23-2005, 07:14 PM
I've got an air compressor and impact wrench. I'll probably tighten them with a rachet then get them off with the wrench. The wrench might tighten them too much which may in turn shear the bolt.

lawnmaniac883
08-23-2005, 07:19 PM
I dont torque mine to exact specs on account I think that is way overkill. I do however torque them down to 80ft/lbs.

lazer 46
08-23-2005, 07:57 PM
We never used to torque to exact specifics, but we recently bought a torque wrench and now torque exactly, a good little investment. I think it was roughly $50 CDN.

The only problem we have now is getting the blades off easily, our compressor isn't powerful enough so we've been taking it to a friends which is a major PITA.

I've never had a problem getting blades off that have been torqued to specs. A breaker bar and a block of wood and off they come.

Tadams
08-23-2005, 08:00 PM
I was a mechanic in a previous life and still have a lot of my tools. I use a 1/2" snap-on impact gun to put them on and take them off with. I was told that the reason you torque them so high is because if they are not tight enough and you hit something it will tighten the blades up so tight that it will be nearly impossible to take them off.

rtr
08-23-2005, 08:56 PM
I was a mechanic in a previous life and still have a lot of my tools. I use a 1/2" snap-on impact gun to put them on and take them off with. I was told that the reason you torque them so high is because if they are not tight enough and you hit something it will tighten the blades up so tight that it will be nearly impossible to take them off.

Thats what the mechan at the my dealer told me also.

I always use the torque wrench to get em on and off. Never had to use a breaker bar either. Oh and the "Blade Buddy". Its really quite easy. I have never understood all the whining about changing blades.

lawnmaniac883

I dont torque mine to exact specs on account I think that is way overkill. I do however torque them down to 80ft/lbs.

If you torque em to 80 already, why is exact overkill?? I would think the manufact. knows best? If you don't torque at all thats one thing.

ed2hess
08-23-2005, 09:15 PM
I have seen no reason to use air impact wrenches to tighten blades. Use two socket wrenches one on bottom and one on top. We have Scags and Snapper of various sizes and I have never had a blade come loose in 25 years. Use simple tools allows changing in the field when necessary.

burns60
08-24-2005, 12:51 AM
I have had my Exmark 52" 23hp for about 3 or so weeks now and am planning on changing the blades today or tomorrow. It says that I should torque the bolts to 115 ft-lbs. or 120 ft-lbs. I can't remember. I don't have a torque wrench. Do all of you torque them down to these exact numbers or do you just tighten them up to about what you think? Is it really that important?

I have said before that the best investment I have made this year is an electric impact wrench and a Jungle Jack. If I have a set of sharp blades I can change them out in less than 5 mins.

As soon as the wrench "hammers" I stop. This is plenty tight and they come off with the wrench very easy. I