PDA

View Full Version : A big decision for me

LawnBoy89
08-23-2005, 05:19 PM
I mow full time for a landscaping company along with 17 accounts of my own, a couple are smaller and then I have a couple that are very big. I knock them all out each week with a 48'' Ferris belt drive. I use turf tracers at work with sulkies on them and with alot of people talking to my mom about mowing there yards I've come to the conclusion that I need 3 things: another mower, a proslide, and a new trimmer.

I think I want to buy a Turf tracer 23hp kawi engine and put a proslide on it so I can get the lawns done a little faster. Does this sound like a good idea? Does the price of mowers go down in the winter since they really aren't in demand as much? I'm also thinking about buying a used mower, tell me what you guys think...thanks.

Joe721
08-23-2005, 07:21 PM
Hmm only 17 accounts I think you should just save up $$$ until you get bigger. IMO I think a 48" is big enough for 17 accounts. Thats just my opinion

Lawnworks
08-23-2005, 07:37 PM
What are your future plans? get bigger and expand? Do you live at home(not many bills)? If you plan to get bigger, I would just get a low end Exmark 60" and sell your current 48". I am sure they are only 1-2k more and you get to sit on your rear AND be more productive. It seems this would enable you take on more accounts plus it would be easier on you after already working another job.

LawnBoy89
08-23-2005, 07:44 PM
Yea, I was thinking about a ZTR but they are so muuuuch. It would be nicer and it can bag alot more too. The main reason I want a bigger mower is because I don't have alot of time to do lawns. I work part time at a grocery store, full time for a landscaping company, then I have 17 lawns on the side. Once I start school and fall cleanups I am going to need to be as productive as I can, and school starts next week. I wish I can buy a ZTR but I only have $3500 in the bank and I don't want to take out a loan too big. And yes I do live at home the only bills I have are my dirtbike, my insurance and my cell phone. Thanks guys

Lawnworks
08-23-2005, 08:08 PM
Invest in yourself brother! Get a 6-7k 60" ZTR and put 3500 down on that thing. I bet your payment would $100-$150 over three years. How much is that other mower you were talking about? If your toys are helping your bottom end then bring em on especially when your young and aint got 5k in bills a month.

LawnBoy89
08-23-2005, 08:33 PM
Yea I guess you are right, all I have to do is raise my prices!

nobagger
08-23-2005, 09:12 PM
Dido to everyone else said, save up! 17 accounts- not bad but not that many either. I'm not sure if you said you were full time but we knock out that many being part time in about 8 hrs total. We have 26 accounts and like you some are over an acre but most are 1/2 acre and we only have the need for a 52" and a 36".

Ramairfreak98ss
08-23-2005, 11:46 PM
Damn i dont have 17 accounts at the moment and am looking at a 27hp/61" Ferris lol. Of course its more because of 24 mo same as cash financing and ill rack up MORE big lawns next season early. In NJ, i "THINK" its typical to get around $50 for an acre and $60-70 for an acre and a half and 2 acres which is usually rare $90-100. Im just tired of walking behind small mowers all the time, get most of it done with the ZTR then use the little one for little stuff. I have a lot of smaller lawns with reputable customers though.

ed2hess
08-24-2005, 07:05 PM
I sure won't spend big bucks to get a rider for 17 yards. Get a $200 Velke for those big yards.

ince8728
08-24-2005, 08:27 PM
ram air freak are u crazy, i get $50 for accounts that are like 10-15 thousand sq ft. Raise those prices.

Nosmo
08-24-2005, 09:17 PM
How many school age boys do you know that have $3,500.00 in the bank which he earned himself . Work a full time job, work a part time job and also take care of 17 accounts.

You just keep thinking like you are and you are gonna be doing just fine.

Nosmo

Ramairfreak98ss
08-25-2005, 01:49 AM
ram air freak are u crazy, i get $50 for accounts that are like 10-15 thousand sq ft. Raise those prices.

isnt an acre 40,000 sq feet? So you cut for $50 for 1/4 acre? damn, i actually dont get a ton of business even at prices of $30 for 1/4 acre smaller lots.

Where are you from east coast? Im not sure why people dont pay much, maybe i have to be tougher with these lawns, two guys i quoted $70 to said another lawn company quoted them $60 for lawns that were 1.1 and 1.3 acres, so i just said well i can do it for 60 then, since i needed more larger lawns, im guessing its just way too low or theyre jerking me around.

in NJ, what should "normal" prices be, lets say, flat mostly open grass, or fenced in areas, play sets etc.. I cut some 1/4 acre lawns or smaller for 30-40$ yet cant get $60 for 1 acre :realmad:

1/4 acre $35
1/2 acre $45
3/4 acre $60
1 acre $75
1.25 acres $85
1.5 acres $100
2 acres $120 ?

am i way off? I gladly accept any knowledge from others that can help :)

Nosmo
08-25-2005, 09:06 AM
1 acre is 43,560 square feet. Laid out in a square it would be about
209 feet by 209 feet.

Most yards are not laid out in a square acre. In my part of town we have property of at least 1-1/4 acres. 165 x 330 feet. (mine)

Some of the yards are 2-1/2 acres 330 x 330 and across the street that one is 5-acres 330 x 660 feet.

I thought I would post this to help with figuring the estimate of doing a jobsite.

Nosmo

Ramairfreak98ss
08-25-2005, 10:36 AM
Nosmo, so you cut 1 1/4 acres for how much? $40 or $100? Ive never been to Oklahoma yet, im guessing its another state much nicer than NJ lol

Ramairfreak98ss
08-25-2005, 02:39 PM
I also wanted to note, for some reason in NJ, i advertised in a new development, everyone had 1 full acre. Some larger, big Eds landscaping or someone came by before me and had passed out flyers, $30 per yard, because when i told the guy $60 he lookd at me funny. He said thats your final price? lol, im thinkin ok too high, i looked at the backyard, mostly open, so i said alright, weekly $50 per cut. He said, honestly, your way off, i was thinking $25-35 is the range. Last place ... which is when he told me all about the other place came by for $30, im thinking i wouldnt cut 1/4 of his lawn for that lmuch lol, and if i had $10k mowers, i wouldnt waste my gas for $30 for them.. oh well

Nosmo
08-25-2005, 03:45 PM
Ramairfreak98ss I am retired now but I would mow my yard any day of the week for $75.00 but ----- mine is the exception rather than the rule. I have a lot of trees but all of them are mulched and have
plenty of mowing room to get around them in a pass on the left and another from the right (football shaped). No obstacles like bird baths
swing sets and the like. All of it can be mowed without a weedeater or a 21" push mower.

However if it were the normal type with obstacles and close areas I would say around $100.00 would be right.

Oh just for something a little extra to do I mow part of a field next to me. I keep the fence row clean as a hound's tooth and mow about
15 or 20 feet of it to make my place look a little better. The rest of it gets brush hogged (another guy) every couple of month. The thing is covered with dallisgrass.

iluvscag
08-25-2005, 03:47 PM
The Turf Tracer sounds good to me. :)

John Gamba
08-25-2005, 04:32 PM
Yea, I was thinking about a ZTR but they are so muuuuch. It would be nicer and it can bag alot more too. The main reason I want a bigger mower is because I don't have alot of time to do lawns. I work part time at a grocery store, full time for a landscaping company, then I have 17 lawns on the side. Once I start school and fall cleanups I am going to need to be as productive as I can, and school starts next week. I wish I can buy a ZTR but I only have $3500 in the bank and I don't want to take out a loan too big. And yes I do live at home the only bills I have are my dirtbike, my insurance and my cell phone. Thanks guys

Lawnboy

You can bag just as much with a walk as you can a rider. Wait till 06 to get a 60" Turf tracer. I have a like new pro-slide and a jrco transporter and tub thats like new. I'm just north of you. If you do work full-time and part time at a grocery store i'll make you a deal on the items i have that you cant refuse.
Hard work should always be rewarded :D
The jrco transporter and tub give you an extra 10 bushels for leaves. If you get the accelerator with the extension you can get a total of 19 bushels of leaves on the walk. Thats more then a rider.

Think about it and pm me :waving:

John

John Gamba
08-25-2005, 04:38 PM
Heres a 52"TT with a pro-slide.

John Gamba
08-25-2005, 04:41 PM
Heres the trasporter and tub.
John

LawnBoy89
08-25-2005, 09:14 PM
Thanks alot guys, speaking of pricing, I need to work on that myself so keep on with the discussion because I'm learning alot from it.

John Gamba, I'll talk to you, looks like you got some really nice mowers there, actually exactly what I wanted. I was going to buy an accelerator bagger and a proslide just like that.