PDA

View Full Version : Sod and Aeration

PR Fect
08-23-2005, 07:12 PM
I know that is recommended that you aerate a newly sodded lawn. But who soon? Do you wait a season? Can you do it soon after it was laid down? Any help would be appreciated. PR

PR Fect
08-24-2005, 06:44 PM
Bump. Did I stump everyone? A day at the general forum and a day here, and no replies?

Gators_Aerator
08-24-2005, 06:58 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=116399

PSUturf
08-25-2005, 10:00 PM
The sod needs to be well rooted so that you can't pull it up by hand. If the soil is not compacted you don't need to aerate right away.

PR Fect
08-26-2005, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the help. The main reason for wanting to aerate is because the sod is not well rooted. Many contractors in our area put sod down like it is a tile floor or something like that. They prep the soil by running back and forth on heavy equipment until its hard and flat. Then they sod. The roots on the sod "plane" instead of penetrating the subsoil. This gives the sod poor root structure and a year later they what to know why there beautiful sod lawn is so poor looking. I have found that core aeration cures the contractors screw up, but I just did not know how soon I could get away with it. PR