PDA

View Full Version : Trying to identify a weed ~ Detailed

studio
08-23-2005, 08:44 PM
Hello all, sorry i dont have pics, but will be detail.

Location- southeastern michigan

Its a vine looking weed. Growing underground and poping up everywhere until the whole lawn is covered.

Has pinkish purple buds that come when not mowed for more then around 5 days.

Will have 1 main root coming up with about 3-6, 8"-15" vines. leaves are 1" apart that are the shape of a "trench shovel" (3cm out and 1cm wide and pointy)

From what i remember this is a hard weed to kill, but the name is slipping my mind, any help?

thanks!!!!
Jacob

Runner
08-23-2005, 09:13 PM
Are they like spade shaped leaves? Are they sort of waxy and shiny?

studio
08-23-2005, 09:44 PM
yes and no,

ever seen a "trench shovel" ?

from the vine, it has about another 1cm of stem then the "trench shovel"
{imagine a shovel, then extent it by 7"}

but it has two mini parts of the leaf by the stem, about 4mm, that point out like horns.

{trying to get pics uploaded right now, upgraded to the new treo phone, yet 30x harder to get pics emailed, go figure}

like i said, my buddy works for scotts (a huge lawn care company {atleast in MI}) and it sounds like something he mentioned that they actually couldnt even kill but only contain. Then again they have to be cautious so they dont burn a lawn and have to re-sod.

Thanks for the response, ANY help GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!
J

*EDIT* not waxy or shiny in any way. pickish/purple sprouts are 1.5-2cm long, Buds start as 3mm spades (like any flower.)

Killswitch
08-23-2005, 10:06 PM
Sounds like Purslane.

http://weeds.cropsci.uiuc.edu/images/Purslane/images/Purslane%201.jpg

studio
08-23-2005, 10:23 PM
Sounds like Purslane.

Thanks for the reply, but not even close. More "Viny", "skiny". Plus no pinkish flowers or buds.

although, i do have those i think in the cracks in my driveway though. more "thicker" vine then im discribing.

AGAIN, THANKS!!!!! For the reply, i have googled/googled image my fingers bloody!!!!

J

Runner
08-24-2005, 05:28 AM
Try this sight and se if it is on there. www.weedalert.com

zim bob the landscaper
08-24-2005, 09:07 AM
sounds like morning glooreis (sp?) i had to pull up so much of that stuff and then 4-5 days later it back again

studio
08-24-2005, 12:39 PM
WOW, after about a 1/2 on that site right when i was about to give up i found it.

http://www.weedalert.com/weed_pages/wa_field_bindweed.htm

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for all the help guys. Time to go battle this evil weed!

Jacob

PSUturf
08-25-2005, 10:06 PM
Not positive but I think I got good control of bindweed with Lesco Momentum (the formulation from 2 years ago) Bindweed is on the label.