PDA

View Full Version : Wright Owners

Patriots
08-23-2005, 09:44 PM
Your opinions on your purchase please. I was really impressed with the Wright Velkey 32 15hp Kohler. Have y'all ever regretted your decision to go with a Wright.

Thanks.

paponte
08-23-2005, 11:25 PM
Love my Standers, hands down. :)

br549oicu8
08-23-2005, 11:48 PM
Stander---2 thumbs up
Velke--2 thumbs up
Sentar--Boat anchor...please ship them to Irag

iluvscag
08-23-2005, 11:49 PM
You have to talk to Itsgottabegreen. :)

gunner27
08-24-2005, 12:28 AM
You have to talk to Itsgottabegreen. :)
Last I heard, he was gonna buy a Grasshopper?

Itsgottobegreen
08-24-2005, 01:55 AM
Stander---2 thumbs up
Velke--2 thumbs up
Sentar--Boat anchor...please ship them to Irag

I agree. Well the sentar part would be the old sentar 1's and 52" sentar sports. And that damn seat on them. (my reason for selling mine and the 61" scalping problems because they used a 52" frame)
Last I heard, he was gonna buy a Grasshopper?
Not sure at this point, but most likely. Need a real bagging unit. The turbo 10 catcher for the wrights just ain't cutting it. :angry:

But as for the 32" velke. Wright build the first one for me. Because I got to see one of the first 36" velke mowers. I told them the only way I would buy one, is for them to make a 32" version. I didn't think they would do it. But two weeks later. I got a call saying there is one here for me. But I declinded. Didn't have the payup Its a good machine. Be personally would spend the extra money and get a 32" stander.

mosmgras
08-24-2005, 03:21 AM
I've had a lot of fuel problems out of my Sentar. Carb has been rebuilt 4 times(machine has 550 hrs.) Also, it does scalp... bad. On the good side, it had plenty of power (when it will run) and is compact. Also, I like the fact that I can stand up and operate it. I have to say that most of the problems have been engine related, not the machine it's self. My next purchase from Wright will be a stander.

John Gamba
08-24-2005, 07:31 AM
Not sure at this point, but most likely. Need a real bagging unit. The turbo 10 catcher for the wrights just ain't cutting it. :angry:

Try the accelerator.
John

bmxican
08-24-2005, 08:18 AM
Your opinions on your purchase please. I was really impressed with the Wright Velkey 32 15hp Kohler. Have y'all ever regretted your decision to go with a Wright.

Thanks.

I test drove one of these just around the parking lot at 2Boutdoors in NRH. is this where you saw one? I wasn't sure what to think about the controls. it seemed like going forward was all controlled with only your thumbs on the rear bar. Is this right or is there a different method. I thought my thumbs would probably fall off after the first or second yard. then you had to change to a different hand position to go backwards, not real efficient. Any Velke mower owners out there who can enlighten me about the controls, are they comfortable after you get used to them? also how is the cut compared to a stander?
the way the velke fits up into the control area and has a release lever was very cool, it looked nice and clean and out of the way for walking.

Itsgottobegreen
08-24-2005, 11:15 PM
Try the accelerator.
John
Thats still a bagger. I need a vac unit.

johnnyj
09-01-2005, 03:36 PM
Bought a Wright Sentar Sport w/ 52" deck. As I do not do this full time, I don't know how I would feel after a gruelling 8-10 hrs, day after day, but I can say that I have cut for about 4 hours straight and have fun riding during that time. It is a nimble machine. I can stand up and easily see obstacles that I need to manuever around. The seat is nice- large and "cushy". I have a plus and minus on the controls: The plus - I feel I have more precise control due to the dexterity of the fingers; The minus - the hands do start to fatigue, especially at first. But I am more comfortable now, after using it all season. My wife does not like using it because her hands are obviously, more feminine! Anyway, I like the machine, it cuts nicely. I have only a 19hp motor, and I think I would like a little more power for the tall grass, but this unit is also lighter, and does not require as much. I also have only used this mower, and no other commercial rider - so I am lacking in comparisons. But the $$$ was right for starting up this year ($5500 +tax+170 for mulch kit).

One other point - This mower has pretty small drive tires (~12" or so). What is the advantage/disadvantage over the larger tires??

Rebel
09-01-2005, 07:22 PM
Bought a Wright Sentar Sport w/ 52" deck. As I do not do this full time, I don't know how I would feel after a gruelling 8-10 hrs, day after day, but I can say that I have cut for about 4 hours straight and have fun riding during that time. It is a nimble machine. I can stand up and easily see obstacles that I need to manuever around. The seat is nice- large and "cushy". I have a plus and minus on the controls: The plus - I feel I have more precise control due to the dexterity of the fingers; The minus - the hands do start to fatigue, especially at first. But I am more comfortable now, after using it all season. My wife does not like using it because her hands are obviously, more feminine! Anyway, I like the machine, it cuts nicely. I have only a 19hp motor, and I think I would like a little more power for the tall grass, but this unit is also lighter, and does not require as much. I also have only used this mower, and no other commercial rider - so I am lacking in comparisons. But the $$$ was right for starting up this year ($5500 +tax+170 for mulch kit).

One other point - This mower has pretty small drive tires (~12" or so). What is the advantage/disadvantage over the larger tires??

I have made the switch from 52" Toro Z Master and several Toro WB. My reason was the weight issue in some yards. The Z is just to damn heavy for most residential yards and WB are too damn slow for a company cutting over 70 yards a week. I tried out the Great Dane Standers and did not like the controls. I went to Wright Sentar Sport 48" deck. It is on order and I should have it by tomorrow. I am curious and nervous about switching to a totally different brand of machine after eight years with Toro. I'll let you know.

John Gamba
09-01-2005, 07:25 PM
I have made the switch from 52" Toro Z Master and several Toro WB. My reason was the weight issue in some yards. The Z is just to damn heavy for most residential yards and WB are too damn slow for a company cutting over 70 yards a week. I tried out the Great Dane Standers and did not like the controls. I went to Wright Sentar Sport 48" deck. It is on order and I should have it by tomorrow. I am curious and nervous about switching to a totally different brand of machine after eight years with Toro. I'll let you know.

PLease let us know how you like it :D Can you post pics???????

John

Hard Worker
09-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Rebel just curious, what didnt you like about the G.D. controls? Whats the difference in the two types?

John Gamba
09-05-2005, 08:20 AM

How do you like it

br549oicu8
09-05-2005, 11:19 AM
Mr. Gamba.
You are in my prayers buying a Sentar..............

John Gamba
09-05-2005, 02:54 PM
Mr. Gamba.
You are in my prayers buying a Sentar..............

Not the sentar, the sentar sport 48. Im going to look at one.

John

Rebel
09-05-2005, 06:05 PM
The GD Controls just did not respond as well as the wright. So far I like the machine and it seems to be solving the weight problems we were having in some yards. The machine respondes well and the speed is very nice in residential yards compared to the WB's. I am a cautious happy guy right now. We will see what the future holds?

John Gamba
09-05-2005, 06:13 PM
The GD Controls just did not respond as well as the wright. So far I like the machine and it seems to be solving the weight problems we were having in some yards. The machine respondes well and the speed is very nice in residential yards compared to the WB's. I am a cautious happy guy right now. We will see what the future holds?

Hows the cut??

John

Jerry9789
10-03-2005, 12:57 PM
Has anyone found a good online parts supplier for the Wrights? Thanks.

Jerry

SidelinePropMgr
10-03-2005, 06:17 PM
Have a 36" and 52" stander. AWESOME!!! Although it does not cut all that great in really tall grass but very easy to make 2 passes. I agree the Sentar is a boat anchor. Like driving a truck without power steering. TOO AWKWARD!!

impactlandscaping
10-03-2005, 08:37 PM
I'll be buying two more in March, making a total of 4 Wright units in my mowing fleet. I have had zero problems with my Standers, even my wife likes to mow our lawn at home with one :D I think every company out there has its pluses and minuses, and everyone has their own opinion about everything in between. The best thing to do is get a field demo and try them out. I have been very happy with ours, both in increased production time and maneuverability / responsive controls.