PDA

View Full Version : seeding 20,000 open lawn

ant
08-23-2005, 10:36 PM
a client lost her back lawn. it is 20,000 sf all open.
i plan on seeding it at a rate of 8 lbs. per m (almost bare soil)

it's going to take 160 lbs of seed at a cost of $160.00.

$45/1000 to cheap?
i will be using leaco renavator to seed.
ant

timturf
08-23-2005, 10:50 PM
what seed are you using?

going to areate?

Apply any fertilizer?

Are their weeds growing that need to be killed?

Doing a soil test?

Applying lime?, dolomitic or calicitic?

Correcting any nutrient problems in soil?

ant
08-23-2005, 11:25 PM
1. trophy
2. yes but not included in the seeding price.
3. same as above.(going to start a program in the back)
4. annual weeds.
5. yes at my expense.
6,7, at the owner expense (fertilization program)

thanks ant

cp
08-24-2005, 10:01 AM
The only thing I don't like is "at my own expense". Is this warranty?

We ARE in this for a profit. Right?

timturf
08-24-2005, 10:08 AM
1. trophy What kind of seed? TT Tall Fescue? A Blend?
2. yes but not included in the seeding price. aerifying is extra!
3. same as above.(going to start a program in the back) No starter fert included?
4. annual weeds.And this at an extra charge also?
5. yes at my expense.
6,7, at the owner expense (fertilization program)

thanks ant

So, ant, what are you planning on charging the customer for 1-4?

I think applying 8 lbs of seed with a slit seeder at $45/m is high!

I would aerify, seed (blue tag, at new lawn rate), apply organic base fertilizer ( ~ 2lbs/m of n, 1lbs/m of p, and 1.75lbs/m of k [sop]) for $900.00

GREENITUP
08-24-2005, 10:10 AM
Ant - The answer to your question is NO!!! $900 (if my math is right) for the work you describe is not cheap - in fact, I would advise your customer to grab the ankles because you are breaking it off in him! Not to say you wont do a great job or get excellent results.... but it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours with the right equipment..... Do you clear this much with all of your jobs like this? If so, can you send a few customers my way? :laugh:

lawnservice
08-24-2005, 05:09 PM
answering pricing questions is always tough because we all work/live in different areas/markets throughout the country.

$45/1000 is CHEAP!!!
our charge for slice seeding is $70/1000
that includes labor, seed, fert.

we are also located in the northeast (new england, so slightly more north than Ant in Jersey)

philk17088
08-24-2005, 06:38 PM
answering pricing questions is always tough because we all work/live in different areas/markets throughout the country.

$45/1000 is CHEAP!!!
our charge for slice seeding is $70/1000
that includes labor, seed, fert.

we are also located in the northeast (new england, so slightly more north than Ant in Jersey)
Amen brother! You know that you will have to go back and touch up and that costs money. If you where tractoring it maybe that would be a good price but not with a walk behind renovator!

GREENITUP
08-25-2005, 08:03 AM
My bad. You guys are right about different rates in different areas of the country. When I think about a 20K "all open" lawn, I think about how long that would take to do and how hard it might be. Ant - how long do you estimate it will take you to do the job?

Runner
08-25-2005, 03:16 PM
That's what ours goes for. $70 per M including starter fert. I may even come back and hit it again in two to 3 weeks.

ant
08-26-2005, 12:15 AM
thanks....20,000 sf is big..i say it will take me 2.5 har. to walk behind the mechine let a lone 1/2 to flag out the sprinkler system..

aerification is extra
starter fert. will be applicated when i fertilize whole property.

Pilgrims' Pride
08-26-2005, 10:51 AM
I didn't see anything about the babysitter charge.
Is this place irrigated?
If not who is going to be responsible for seeing that this 20,000 ft gets watered properly?

Mrs Homeowner may agree to watering but when it hits the fan it most likely will not happen and then the customer may hold you liable.

I once slice seeded a lawn for a woman under ideal conditions
(minus irrigation).
The woman paid me as I put the machine away and then she looked at the watering notes.
She said I need to water this!
If I knew that I never would have done this!
BTW, I had talked to the husband about proper watering.

Anyway, I explained the watering again and suggested I put out hoses and a timer for her.
I went to Home Depot bought the cheapest hoses, splitters and the rest.
I then laid it all out for the customer and checked on it about once a week.

Came up great.

It's not at all unreasonable to charge $70.00/Thousand or a bit more around here. Especially when ALL things are factored in.

ant
08-30-2005, 12:18 AM
well she went for it..
i can believe some of you guys think i am porking her :rolleyes:
20,000 is big..
anyway starter fert,seed - 900.00
soil test at my expence..

olderthandirt
08-30-2005, 12:29 AM
The woman paid me as I put the machine away and then she looked at the watering notes.
She said I need to water this!

I make them sign a copy saying there satified with the work and fully understand the watering instructions. It also says that failure to follow them voids any warrenties. I just ask them to sign a copy after I get my check and never once had any complaints from anyone about signing them.