PDA

View Full Version : double blades

dixiedemon
08-24-2005, 01:09 AM
just started running double blades on my ztr high lift on the bottom gattor blade on the top will spindle bearings last as long ,belts and pulleys and would it hurt to spot weld them together on 90 degree angles. any suggestions :cool2: :cool2:

waffletown20
08-24-2005, 02:19 AM
As far as the spindles go, it varies between owners. Some have success and others have problems. Most people complain about electric clutches going but I think dixies have manual blade engagement. For the sake of the belts just engage the blades slowly at low throttle and you'll be fine. I would not recommend spot welding the blades but I have heard it done. The reason I don't recommend it is because if you hit a rock would you rather have the spindles take the hit or the blades just swivel. You might cause more damage to the mower in an accident. People with dixies seem to like their doubles and as long as the spindles are under warranty don't worry about it. Hope this helps!

bigjeeping
08-24-2005, 02:22 AM
I'm new to mowing, first year... ;) what does it mean double blades?

mosmgras
08-24-2005, 02:47 AM
Mounting two blades at perpendicular angles on the same spindle.

blevinsbulldog
08-24-2005, 02:57 AM
does doubles help ?
can doubles be ran on a garden tractor? i have a garden tractor that has a 25hp kohler on it.

mosmgras
08-24-2005, 03:28 AM
Some people like them, some don't. I don't run doubles on any of my equipment. Do they help? I would say to try them and see. You may want to do a search and read the opinions of those that run them. If they work on ZTR's, I don't see why they wouldn't work on a garden tractor.

bigjeeping
08-24-2005, 07:02 PM
If you mounted them perpendicular, wouldn't they slide around if they weren't welded/secured in a perpendicular position?

rodfather
08-24-2005, 07:17 PM
If you mounted them perpendicular, wouldn't they slide around if they weren't welded/secured in a perpendicular position?

Torque them down enough and they stay in place...unless you hit something pretty solid. You'll know then.

gorknoids
08-25-2005, 12:47 AM
But I would put a lockwasher between them.

1grnlwn
08-25-2005, 01:04 AM
I have run doubles for years. Every time I take them off to try something else, I can't wait to get them back on. Sure they slip sometimes, but you want the flexibility you get with single blades. They probably do put extra stress on bearings and clutches. But so does double and tripple mowing. Ballancing is more important. Its the cutters best weapon against a moron with a spreader and a sprinkler system. Just slap them together aling them in a cross and tighten. I would recomend standard on bottom and mulch on top.

Eclipse
08-25-2005, 01:47 AM
Every time I take them off to try something else, I can't wait to get them back on.

I agree I can't wait to put them back on if I decide to try singles again. I am always surprised how much grass I can cut with doubles without having to double cut.

Its the cutters best weapon against a moron with a spreader and a sprinkler system.

LOL

waffletown20
08-25-2005, 03:42 AM
To avoid the stress on the mower, I only run doubles in the spring and plan to in the fall for leaves. Do you know how they are on very heavy growth? This is my first year running them and I haven't had enough rain to test their limits.