PDA

View Full Version : Snake encounter

burns60
08-24-2005, 12:46 AM
Just a reminder, to be always on the watch for snakes. They may be in the least expected places as well as the "snakey" areas.

I was trimming along a sidewalk this pm that had a flower bed between it and the yard. This "bad boy" waited until I had passed him with the trimmer and decided to take a hit at my leg. Luckily I had on jeans and boots, and he was not large enough to get through the jeans. He struck at least one other time as I was dancing an Irish jig trying to get the trimmer head on him. Finally made connection with the trimmer, but this threw him right back at my feet again. He was a gonner by then though (as I almost was too). Only about 2 1/2 feet long, but big enough to make my heart beat way too fast. I'm too old for that kind of excitement. I was proud that I "stayed around" and fought, though. It's a wonder I didn't take off running and yelling.

I thought he was a pine snake, but a neighbor of the account I was mowing said he was some kind of moccasin. Also, I didn't think pine snakes were aggressive, and this snake meant to do harm. Wish I cound send a pic for identification from some of you snake experts, but don't have that capability.

65hoss
08-24-2005, 12:53 AM
The moccasins are very aggessive this time of year. Gator magnum and the Stihl FS110 will eat them for lunch though.

JB1
08-24-2005, 07:36 AM
Don't really want to see a picture of the snake although you dancing a jig in the yard would be funny to see.

John Gamba
08-24-2005, 08:04 AM
Don't really want to see a picture of the snake although you dancing a jig in the yard would be funny to see.

Me too :laugh: :waving:

John

Joe721
08-24-2005, 08:24 AM
:cry: Poor snake. I really have feelings for animals I dont know why, If I see a roach in the house I go and put it outside.. I just can't kill them.

MBDiagMan
08-24-2005, 08:44 AM
A Water Mocassin is a bad dude. They are aggressive as you say and poisoinous as they can be. Did you notice a SMELL? Water Mocassins have a strong and distinct smell that once you have smelled it you will go on the alert whenever you smell one again.

Back in the days of baling hay in square bales was common, I picked up many a haybale in the field to load on the truck or trailer with a snake sticking out of it. They were almost always dead either from the extreme pressure of the baling process or usually the knives in the baler would cut them in half. One time I saw a snakes tail sticking out of a bale and just assumed it was dead so I grabbed the bale. The tail started moving pretty fast and for some reason I set the worlds record time for stacking a bale of hay. When we got to the barn and were unloading we tossed the bale aside and cut the wire. It was only a chicken snake and it crawled away slowly but did not make it far.

We NEVER understood how the snake survived the baling process.

If you smelled something, remember the smell and be wary the next time you smell it.

Good luck,
Doc

daveintoledo
08-24-2005, 09:00 AM
:cry: Poor snake. I really have feelings for animals I dont know why, If I see a roach in the house I go and put it outside.. I just can't kill them.

hahahaa figures..... thats it let the snake win, and you dont think the roach went right back inside to his thousands of little brothers.....hahahahah

South Florida Lawns
08-24-2005, 09:01 AM
It seems to bring some amazing foot work outta me when they attack. My crew says I'm funny to watch, kind of a skipping motion with a few twists and usually a great expression on my face. I don't know what it is but being surprised by a snake sends me packing like a little girl.

Ramairfreak98ss
08-24-2005, 11:12 AM

dont know about roaches, but im the same way, these idiots let their back yard get 2ft tall before, all of a sudden i have baby bunnies running all over, it took me about 25minutes to find them all and try and pick some up and scare the rest out of the area, i hit one, partially and felt really bad about it. Ive moved a number of bunnies from yard where they burrow small nests under the lawn area. Ive seen a couple snakes too and usually they scatter or ill pick them up and move them away from where im cutting, most are harmless in this area. I even wait a few extra seconds for the big grasshoppers and all or Praying Mantis ill move to plants where theyre high up.

LawnScapers of Dayton
08-24-2005, 11:27 AM
I destroyed a family of rabbits this spring. Was not my intent but they were unseen until they discharged in many pieces. 18000 RPM is pretty destructive.....felt a little sick....but moved on.......

Derek

Fubba
08-24-2005, 11:33 AM
You gotta be careful about those things man. I'm glad you didn't get hurt. They don't play. I'd kill it on the spot. Don't give a rat's. I rather it be dead than me. They do smell too by the way like they said above me. Bigger ones have a more distinct smell. Rattlesnakes are the worst about smelling though. Those things put off an odor that smells like a dead goat. You smell anything like a goat at any time where there's not one, go the other way.

befnme
08-24-2005, 03:39 PM
i was brought up with my pa and granny telling me if i smell a vanilla odor in the woods hi tail it away from there because it is a rattle snake in heat.

jtrice11
08-24-2005, 05:00 PM
Just a reminder, to be always on the watch for snakes. They may be in the least expected places as well as the "snakey" areas.

I was trimming along a sidewalk this pm that had a flower bed between it and the yard. This "bad boy" waited until I had passed him with the trimmer and decided to take a hit at my leg. Luckily I had on jeans and boots, and he was not large enough to get through the jeans. He struck at least one other time as I was dancing an Irish jig trying to get the trimmer head on him. Finally made connection with the trimmer, but this threw him right back at my feet again. He was a gonner by then though (as I almost was too). Only about 2 1/2 feet long, but big enough to make my heart beat way too fast. I'm too old for that kind of excitement. I was proud that I "stayed around" and fought, though. It's a wonder I didn't take off running and yelling.

I thought he was a pine snake, but a neighbor of the account I was mowing said he was some kind of moccasin. Also, I didn't think pine snakes were aggressive, and this snake meant to do harm. Wish I cound send a pic for identification from some of you snake experts, but don't have that capability.

Are you gonna make a belt?!

rodfather
08-24-2005, 05:16 PM
Mocassins, Rattlers...sorry but someone is gonna lose that fight and it WON'T be me for sure. I hate snakes with a passion. Period

daltonbuck
08-24-2005, 06:21 PM
I say next time you just run over with your mower. Sounds like you are running over a tire but it is fun all the same. Btter luck next time.

Joe721
08-24-2005, 07:14 PM
Yeah if he was trying to kill me, i would have no choice to take him out. But tons of people kill animals for no reason, all the animals have a heart to. Idk Im just against all the hunting and abuse of animals.

John Gamba
08-24-2005, 07:28 PM
QUOTE=Joe721]Yeah if he was trying to kill me, i would have no choice to take him out. But tons of people kill animals for no reason, all the animals have a heart to. Idk Im just against all the hunting and abuse of animals.[/QUOTE]

:waving: :waving: :waving: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :waving: :waving:

mmacsek
08-24-2005, 07:59 PM
Mocassins, Rattlers...sorry but someone is gonna lose that fight and it WON'T be me for sure. I hate snakes with a passion. Period
By Rodfather a drink for that comment!!!! They rank right up there with yellow jackets. I've had my share of both this summer. Matt

Joe721
08-24-2005, 08:08 PM
Im glad you were wearing pants, when I mow I wear shorts because of the heat down here in Florida.

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-24-2005, 08:28 PM
Years ago I cut some English ivy off a wall, scooped it up in my arms, loaded it on the truck and hauled it to at dump site. When I was emptying the truck, I found a snake that I had picked up with the ivy! It was only a garter snake but it sure got my attention. :eek:

Glad your snake didn't get you Burns :waving:

Lawnworks
08-24-2005, 08:40 PM
Yeah if he was trying to kill me, i would have no choice to take him out. But tons of people kill animals for no reason, all the animals have a heart to. Idk Im just against all the hunting and abuse of animals.

God I hope you are a woman, because if you are not a woman... you should be!

fga
08-24-2005, 09:17 PM
God I hope you are a woman, because if you are not a woman... you should be!
according to your statement... the guy who isn't afraid and puts the snakes and bugs aside acts like a woman... and the guy who does a panic dance and freaks out is the manly one??.

you must wear manties.

for the record, i don't kill anything on purpose (other then grubs).

Drew Gemma
08-24-2005, 11:22 PM
I have had a few snake encounters this month also not sure why but I kill them all period. Hate them!

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-24-2005, 11:26 PM
Against the law here to kill non-poisonous :nono:

burns60
08-24-2005, 11:54 PM
Are you gonna make a belt?!

Nah, just a bad memory.

burns60
08-25-2005, 12:00 AM
No, I did not notice an odor, but will definitely keep my NOSE and EYES open from now on. Thanks for the tip.

Fantasy Lawns
08-25-2005, 12:06 AM
http://fantasylawns.com/Indigo7foot.jpg

7' Indigo .... like a teddy bear ..... if you dont' F&^^( with it

topsites
08-25-2005, 12:23 AM

The only time I killed a snake was by accident, and I bagged it and dumped it on the trailer without even knowing. The WORST part was when I went to unload, it hadn't got rotten yet but the scent of meaty pieces of snake was nevertheless quite stunning, not to mention the visual effect I got when the 10-tine pitchfork... oh, nevermind.

They give me the creeps but I'm a to each their own kinda guy so I let them mind theirs while I mind mine, still I think this situation the snake came after HIM and he couldn't have known OR avoided it... Had one about a year ago that hissed at me and got a little stupid but since I had seen it I just went the other way and no harm done.

Cockroaches and spiders I find in the house, I put them outside as well.
Then there is the theory that they are ALL god's creatures and this I'm ok with, but what about the snake, I don't think the bible talks highly of it.

topsites
08-25-2005, 12:26 AM
according to your statement... the guy who isn't afraid and puts the snakes and bugs aside acts like a woman... and the guy who does a panic dance and freaks out is the manly one??.

you must wear manties.

Someone must really think women are keen of grabbing pests and setting them outside, lol.

topsites
08-25-2005, 12:31 AM
dont know about roaches, but im the same way, these idiots let their back yard get 2ft tall before, all of a sudden i have baby bunnies running all over, it took me about 25minutes to find them all and try and pick some up and scare the rest out of the area, i hit one, partially and felt really bad about it. Ive moved a number of bunnies from yard where they burrow small nests under the lawn area. Ive seen a couple snakes too and usually they scatter or ill pick them up and move them away from where im cutting, most are harmless in this area. I even wait a few extra seconds for the big grasshoppers and all or Praying Mantis ill move to plants where theyre high up.

THAT I hate, I skinned a bunny earlier this year, really sucked.

Then there was a squirrel 2 weeks ago, never saw it, just all of a sudden I'm coming around and there's this dead squirrel on the lawn. Couldn't tell for sure if I had killed it or if it was dead before I started, really weird thou it wasn't rigor mortis'ed yet as I got to determine when I got to move it out of the way (by the way, an adult squirrel is a LOT heavier than I ever thought).

hoyboy
08-25-2005, 12:41 AM
I like animals too, but if a snake violates my personal space, it's dead. I don't care what kind it is.

True Cut Lawn Maintenance
08-25-2005, 07:56 AM
Once that snake violates that 5 foot rule its fair game :cool2: :cool2:

daveintoledo
08-25-2005, 08:35 AM

maybe when you becomea man you will feel different then as a kid
i like animals too, with b-bq sauce... we hunt and fish here//

do you hug trees too....

what did you eat yesturday, any animals.... i shure did
:waving:

Joe721
08-25-2005, 08:43 AM
Just stop bashing me how hard is that? I ignore you you ignore me.

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-25-2005, 08:45 AM
Watch it. He's going to go crying to mommy again.

Joe721
08-25-2005, 08:47 AM
maybe when you becomea man you will feel different then as a kid
i like animals too, with b-bq sauce... we hunt and fish here//

do you hug trees too....

what did you eat yesturday, any animals.... i shure did

Yeah im sure not a woman if I pick the animals up and put them outside. I do it with just about any animals.. I was at the pier and there was these 2 horseshoe crabs stuck in the sand so I picked them up and threw them into the water.

daveintoledo
08-25-2005, 08:57 AM
Watch it. He's going to go crying to mommy again.

he is just about ready to start crying....don't cry little joey...

just last weekend i ate a fuzzy little bunny rabbit, Ive had squirrel too. and id boil those crab...in fact while in the marine corp i ate rattle snake several times during training i the desert taste like chicken, and how o love those little chicken wings,,,, they make it worth killing the bird just for the wings

fga
08-25-2005, 03:31 PM
don't sweat it Joe.
these are obviously some really manly men... who are afraid of spiders and snakes. :rolleyes:

i'm the same way. if i see something that i can help, i do. i've pulled over for hurt birds in the road, turned around on the highway once cuz a turtle was making its way out of the woods on to the highway... even when i throw the pickles off my mcdonalds hamburger while i'm driving.. i throw it far enough off the road so a squirrel won't get hit trying to get it.
takes a real man to get a step further. it takes another kind to squeal like a little school girl over a little snake... i believe their called, as Arnold referred, "girly man".

Joe721
08-25-2005, 04:56 PM
Yeah they just don't care about anything but themselves oh well what can we do, in this world your going to have to go through a lot of people like that. Your ex-military I see.. most ex-military people Ive met act just like you, they're a s s h o l e s and think they're all good and badass.

Oh yeah your always bitching about my grammar and punctuation look at you.

JB1
08-25-2005, 04:59 PM
Oh now you did it KID, you should have quit while you weren't to far behind.

gogetter
08-25-2005, 06:43 PM
Just stop bashing me how hard is that? I ignore you you ignore me.

Just keep ignoring them Joe. Unfortunately some so called "men" have to pound their chests and say certain things in order for them to feel like a man.
It's pretty lame actually.

Anyway Burns60, too bad you couldn't get a pic. I would have liked to see it, and identify for ya.
Maybe I'll get a pic of a Pine and a Moccasin so you can see if it looked that either of them.

But I can tell ya that a Moccasin's head is somewhat triangular shaped, while a Pines head is right in line with it's body, if that helps you at all.

burns60
08-26-2005, 12:40 AM
Just keep ignoring them Joe. Unfortunately some so called "men" have to pound their chests and say certain things in order for them to feel like a man.
It's pretty lame actually.

Anyway Burns60, too bad you couldn't get a pic. I would have liked to see it, and identify for ya.
Maybe I'll get a pic of a Pine and a Moccasin so you can see if it looked that either of them.

But I can tell ya that a Moccasin's head is somewhat triangular shaped, while a Pines head is right in line with it's body, if that helps you at all.

I was afraid of that. His head was triangular shaped. That does, I guess, explain the aggressiveness. Would still like to see a comparison pic. Guess I could Google one up. Thanks for all the input. I also will go out of my way to avoid running over just about anything that crawls, normally, but a snake, well that is another matter. I just don't like any of them, especially if he just tried to "inject" me, and actually I think the Bible will back me up on that. I'm not supposed to like them.

daveintoledo
08-26-2005, 08:51 AM
Yeah they just don't care about anything but themselves oh well what can we do, in this world your going to have to go through a lot of people like that. Your ex-military I see.. most ex-military people Ive met act just like you, they're a s s h o l e s and think they're all good and badass.

Oh yeah your always bitching about my grammar and punctuation look at you.

little boy, I'm going to tell on you, you are using offensive language again, and you have been warned by moderators once already.....

you know why i am giving you a hard time, and you know how to stop it, a simple apology will do it.....

gogetter
08-26-2005, 05:55 PM
You can check this site out for lots of photos of Pine snakes (and their "kin").

http://www.kingsnake.com/pituophis/gallery.html

gogetter
08-26-2005, 06:00 PM
And here's a bunch of photos of water Moccasins from Google.

http://images.google.com/images?q=Water+moccasin&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=ii&oi=imagest

burns60
08-27-2005, 01:13 AM
And here's a bunch of photos of water Moccasins from Google.

http://images.google.com/images?q=Water+moccasin&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=ii&oi=imagest

Thanks for all the "searching". I don't know for sure. The markings are more like a Pine, but the head definitely had a triangular shape. And, I keep going back to the fact that he came after me. Anyway, enough on the snake issue. Thanks to all who participated.

I was thinking today though as I worked, just how many times we (LCOs) leave ourselves vulnerable in areas where there could very well be a moccasin waiting. Which leads me back to my original warning. Just use caution and watch as much as you can.

jasonnau
08-27-2005, 02:01 AM
Man, I stop my mower, pick up the snakes and set them somwhere they won't be in harms danger. Granted, we don't have venomous snakes around here other than copperheads (Which I've Never Seen). Snakes are a great benefit to have around to control rodents. If you leave them alone, they'll leave you alone. Also, if you know how to handle them, most species rarely will bite. Also, only the venomous snakes (at least around here) have "fangs", most have rows of really small teeth for gripping, not bighting. I've been bitten many times by snakes when I was goofing around with them, and, it doesn't hurt. Plus, I have several lady customers who have me do all the prunning, mulching, landscaping, ect., just because they are afraid of snakes. They not only will not hurt you, they'll make you money. Live and let live! He wasn't bothering you, and you definitely should not have killed him. I actually find it hard to believe he bit at you unless you were tormenting him. I've never had a snake stand it's ground and strike unless I was bothering it in some way. They will always flee if given the chance. You weigh 1000 times that snake, he knows he doesn't have a chance. Quit killing stuff, and start planting stuff.

jasonnau
08-27-2005, 02:08 AM
Yeah im sure not a woman if I pick the animals up and put them outside. I do it with just about any animals.. I was at the pier and there was these 2 horseshoe crabs stuck in the sand so I picked them up and threw them into the water.
Horseshoe crabs come onto the shore to mate. The female is the big one on the bottom, the little one was the male on top. They lay their eggs in the sand. You ruinned his hot date. I'm sure they probably came back up somwhere else though. I went to college for fish and wildlife management, after graduation, I got into horticulture, then to landscaping, then to running my own lco.

mike28nc
08-27-2005, 02:17 AM
A Water Mocassin is a bad dude. They are aggressive as you say and poisoinous as they can be. Did you notice a SMELL? Water Mocassins have a strong and distinct smell that once you have smelled it you will go on the alert whenever you smell one again.

Doc

That is right. Copper heads have the same type of smell. Like if you was to burn brown sugar. Sweet and stank smell. In the fall walking around the Cimmaron River you could catch a wiff of that smell and you knew you was around a den of snakes!

Mike

jasonnau
08-27-2005, 02:18 AM
As for the odor of snakes, it means nothing. Snakes will release a substance when threatened from their cloaca (their pee and poop hole, which are the same), to deter predators from attacking them. Garter snakes do it all the time. Most snakes do. It means nothing. A lot of venomous snakes have the triangular shaped head, but some don't (coral snake). The definite trait, is the vertical pupils and the heat sensing pits. The vertical eye pupils are obvious without getting to close to the snake. All of our non-venomous snakes have round pupils. Rattlesnakes are pretty obvious because of the rattle, copperheads and cottonmouths are the only two besides a coral snake that you might encounter and not be able to identify as venomous. Cottonmouths are strictly near water, and copperheads have a brownish color with distinct saddle shaped marks across the back. Both the copperhead and the cottonmouth have the triangular head, vertical (cat eye) pupils, heat sensing pits, and thick bodies. Milk snakes are regularly mistaken for copperheads (They have a similar pattern, but, are thin, and have none of the other venomous traits), and almost any blackish water snake is said to be cottonmouth (Again, lacking the venomous characteristics), even though they could be thick bodied. Inform yourself, and research stuff before you kill somehting you know nothing about. Killing something out of fear is not power, knowledge is. And no, I'm not a tree hugging hippie, I hunt and fish regularly. I kill something only to eat, not for fear or sport.

Joe721
08-27-2005, 09:10 AM
Horseshoe crabs come onto the shore to mate. The female is the big one on the bottom, the little one was the male on top. They lay their eggs in the sand. You ruinned his hot date. I'm sure they probably came back up somwhere else though. I went to college for fish and wildlife management, after graduation, I got into horticulture, then to landscaping, then to running my own lco.

Lol sorry dude, I thought they were stuck in the sand they were buried under it. But they were like 5 10 feet apart not on top of each other.