PDA

View Full Version : Keeping mowers from rolling on the trailer?

Aaron's Lawn Care
08-24-2005, 02:26 AM
What methods do you guys use to keep your machines from rolling around on the trailer? I use ratchet tie downs for right now but I need to find something else because they are a real pain to deal with. Do any companies make products specifically for this purpose?

olderthandirt
08-24-2005, 02:31 AM
YES pro lockers I thinks the name of them. or do a search some member put up some real good pics of some home made ones

topsites
08-24-2005, 02:39 AM
I set the parking brake and I'm done, but it took me several years to learn to drive properly before I could get away with it because the mower will slam into the front of your trailer should YOU slam on brakes - IF this happens, the weight of the mower will PUSH your truck several feet further and you can FEEL it pushing and it is NOT fun.
But the tie-down ratchets ARE a big waste of time, I used to do that during my first year and got real tired of it. Still it was necessary because it took TIME for me to learn to drive the rig real EASY, like an old man. Nowadays, I can't remember the last time the Wb moved on its own except when I forget to set the brake... Oh, and of course you need to check the brake and make sure it's adjusted properly.

South Florida Lawns
08-24-2005, 02:43 AM
In or out of the trailer in seconds, no tying or strapping here. Got 2 for the ATV trailer as well.

lawn_jockey
08-24-2005, 03:09 AM
May not be the best method but I use a single Breakover strap. Kind of like a rachet strap. But no racheting. I have a chock in front of both wheels of my zturn. The chock is a metal bracket mounted to the trailer. So when my strap is attached to the center front of my zturn, one breakover pulls the machine down and into the chocks securing it. It is really fast. When I load up I drive into the chocks, reach down and boom the strap is secure. I would love to try out some prolockers but don't want to spend the money. I am comfortable with my 15 dollar breakover strap.

Brianslawn
08-24-2005, 03:23 AM
i just set the parking brake on my walkers. no more wasting ten min. a yard dragging out the ropes and chains and rigging something even houdini couldnt escape like previous mowers ive used. flip one lever... 1 second.

moremowing4me
08-24-2005, 05:02 AM
fast straps from green touch are very good and inexpensive to boot

wissel_landscaping
08-24-2005, 07:21 AM
I use about 10" of 2x4 one piece in front of each tire and one piece in the back of each tire(only the rear tires) then screw them to the floor of the trailer.

TJLC
08-24-2005, 07:55 AM
I also just set the parking brakes on my TTHP's and they seem to stay fine.

Envy Lawn Service
08-24-2005, 07:58 AM
fast straps from green touch are very good and inexpensive to boot

Yep, Greentouch Fastraps can't be beat. They are one of the best investments you can make in my opinion. Plus they are very fast, easy to use and secure. In my opinion, they are the only way to secure any piece if zero turn equipment. This is because this is the only method I have found that keeps zero turn equipment in place and still on the trailer.

djlawn
08-24-2005, 08:16 AM
For those of you that don't strap your equipment in any way, just remember that it is the law to secure your equipment. In NY the fine for a unsecured "load" is $500.00 which you can't weasel your way out of. I never used to strap anything but after getting a ticket once I started. It only takes and extra minute total. I just thrown one strap over the top and just ratchet it down.

Lawncareguy
08-24-2005, 09:14 AM
I use the strap downs that you buy at northern.com that have the metal hold down plates. They work really well to hold my Exmark TTracer. I think they are about 19.99 each and I use one on each rear wheel. It takes about 10 minutes to put them on the trailer and you can just slip them off the wheel and back on, pull down and you are ready to go.

Bill

MBDiagMan
08-24-2005, 09:48 AM
I set the parking brake and drive smoothly. If you like to do a little road racing while you're pulling a trailer I have two pieces of advice; tie down the mower with a ratchet strap and don't be surprised when you end up in the ditch or worse.

Good luck,
Doc

daveintoledo
08-24-2005, 09:58 AM
I use the strap downs that you buy at northern.com that have the metal hold down plates. They work really well to hold my Exmark TTracer. I think they are about 19.99 each and I use one on each rear wheel. It takes about 10 minutes to put them on the trailer and you can just slip them off the wheel and back on, pull down and you are ready to go.

Bill

sfter the one end stayes secured to the trailor, take 20 seconds to properly secure a load....

cops are big on this in ohio as well

South Florida Lawns
08-24-2005, 10:18 AM
They will pull right out in front of you even when you have a trailer at 15mph in a 35mph zone and expect you to slow for them till they get up to speed. For a while I would just set the break in my enclosed trailer, until things started moving around too much. I ended up with prolockers and have been pleased.

6'7 330
08-24-2005, 07:50 PM
YES pro lockers I thinks the name of them. or do a search some member put up some real good pics of some home made ones

Very good investment,we have them for all our z-turns and walks.

LawnMowerBoy48
08-24-2005, 11:38 PM
I set the parking brake and drive smoothly. If you like to do a little road racing while you're pulling a trailer I have two pieces of advice; tie down the mower with a ratchet strap and don't be surprised when you end up in the ditch or worse.

Good luck,
Doc

Don't be surprised when one of your mowers that was on your trailer ends up in the back of your truck if you were ever to crash.

iluvscag
08-24-2005, 11:41 PM
Prolockers. :)

Brianslawn
08-24-2005, 11:59 PM
They will pull right out in front of you even when you have a trailer at 15mph in a 35mph zone and expect you to slow for them till they get up to speed. For a while I would just set the break in my enclosed trailer, until things started moving around too much. I ended up with prolockers and have been pleased.

same drivers here in arkansas. must be a south thing. thats what push bars are for. most of them think twice now. :realmad:

br549oicu8
08-25-2005, 12:00 AM
http://www.fastrap.us/

Envy Lawn Service
08-25-2005, 12:18 AM
http://www.fastrap.us/

Thank you for posting that.
That's exactly what I have and have been endorsing for years now.
Well except mine have pretty light grey straps instead of green.

Fastraps keep zero turns perfectly still.
No front to back, side to side, or angle movement.

I know many like prolockers or whatever they are called...
But anything that holds just my front castors ain't gonna keep my mowers still.
So in my opinion, the Fastraps are better, cheaper and more versitile.
They can be easily adjusted to strap down just about anything with tires.

1grnlwn
08-25-2005, 12:55 AM
Just pack the trailer front to back full of mowers. There is nowhere for them to go. Any strap that uses the camlock with serations will break in a crash anyway. But if it makes you feel better do it.