PDA

View Full Version : Help cutting retention pond

cajunboy
08-24-2005, 10:32 AM
I have a retention pond at a supermarket that I have to cut 3-4 times a year. The sides are pretty steep and and ground is very bumpy. At the bottom it has about 3feet of water always. Last time we did the whole thing with string trimmers. This thing is about the size of a football field. It has a wrought iron fence around it with a gate. I can get scags in but afraid of losing them. Equipment I own is 2 scag ztr's and 36" toro walkbehind. Does anyone have any ideas what the quickest way to cut this thing. Last time I charged the guy 500.00 and it took two guys all day with string trimmers. Thanks for any help.

mcwlandscaping
08-24-2005, 11:07 AM
A floating mower might work. I don't really know how steep it is without a pic so i wouldn't know for sure if this would work. Good Luck!

The Captain
08-24-2005, 01:29 PM
Not knowing the slope (steepness) I would string trim about a foot or so up from the water then try the walk behind, going around the levy, if the ground is firm enough. I'd be afraid of using the 'Z', being to top heavy for the slope.

Jim

befnme
08-24-2005, 04:45 PM
dont know! you might try one of them walk behind trimmers

Eddie B
08-24-2005, 04:49 PM
trimming is your safest bet, i'd say

Flex-Deck
08-24-2005, 04:50 PM
I have done retention ponds many times - I have the equipment to do it and you probably know what it is - 4wheel drive 595 JD with a flex-deck - don't care how steep the sides are, I am done in 10 minutes. I can even hang part of my mower out into the waters edge an go. Think about it - I do have a web site

rick2752
08-24-2005, 04:57 PM
Why not use a dreaded 21" pushmower. Light enough you can hold it from turning over, make sure it is one with an oil pump though and not a slinger type. I had a hill like that once and thats how I handled it.

South Florida Lawns
08-24-2005, 05:20 PM
we would use a Steiner 4x4 mower with dual wheel kit. I could back the ass end into the lake and crawl up the side with no slipping at all, talk about a fun mower. If you can find one to borrow/rent, that would be your best bet since you are only mowing once a year. Also if it is real steep and I mean walking is dangerous then get a Hustler Hillsider 4600.

dvmcmrhp52
08-24-2005, 05:54 PM
The 36" walk should do it or at worst go with a 21"............
Even a 21" will outdo a string trimmer.
A rider is out due to the water at the bottom because sooner or later a ZTR is going to slide down one of those hills.
HeHe.......ask me how I know............ :cool:

Flex-Deck
08-24-2005, 08:21 PM
Oh My - Oh My - the stuff is out there to do what you need - wake up and smell the roses!!!!!!

dvmcmrhp52
08-24-2005, 08:22 PM
Oh My - Oh My - the stuff is out there to do what you need - wake up and smell the roses!!!!!!

So you say profitability is the name of the game????? :waving:

Flex-Deck
08-24-2005, 08:25 PM
AAAAAMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNN-amen amen amen

ed2hess
08-24-2005, 10:55 PM
The JD solution sounds a little pricey, can't imaging why you can't use your 36" unit?

Precision
08-24-2005, 11:21 PM
The JD solution sounds a little pricey, can't imaging why you can't use your 36" unit?
36 down to about 4 feet then 21 or string trim the rest.

Flex the problem is if that is the only property like that he has, he won't want to invest $3-10K to get it done.

gorknoids
08-24-2005, 11:28 PM
Cut what you can with the WB, weed-eat or hover mow or sickle-bar the rest. Today I took care of a BMP pond with Manage and Trimec (no standing water, of course) because the only grass in it is Bermuda. All the tall stuff (nutsedge and a variety of broadleaf weeds) will be gone in two weeks and the place will look great. A little yellow, but great just the same. From 65' away. Travelling 65MPH. From the highway.

cajunboy
08-25-2005, 08:50 AM
Can't use a 21' push because the weeds are to high. It is mostly brush and weeds. not much grass and is about 4ft tall. I am going to try my 36" walkbehind today. Just hope I don't get it wet.

LB1234
08-25-2005, 07:17 PM
We have a Billy Goat Outback Brushcutter. I believe this would work great for your application. Won't give it a finished, manicured cut look but it would handle the high grass/weeds no problem. Thing is pretty fast and hillside stability is pretty darn good.

We got ours a few years back and she runs good. I forget what the rated horse power (assuming 13HP like it says in the site I've attached below). We have the pull start...works fine. We bought it for about 2k.

http://www.billygoat.com/site/intro.aspx?pid=18#

BTW, I have no stock in Billy Goat, I won't be reaping any benefits from suggesting them, nor do I get commission like some others may.