PDA

View Full Version : Sod Webworms, Grubs, Drought, ARRGGHHH!!

PetalsandPines
08-24-2005, 11:35 AM
This property is the poster child for pest problems, after discovering an extensive ravaging by grubs I also noticed the moths jumping in and out of the lawn when I cut. This morning I snapped this picture.... Could this be sod webworm damage also? There are literally thousands of the moths on the property but on the other side of the building... This was a drought damaged area, no irrigation for months, reflective industrial windows next to lawn, tremendous population of grubs. I have also heard of severe chinch bug populations in the area but not confirmed at this property yet.

lawnservice
08-24-2005, 04:52 PM
i'll take a stab at your question (but i'll give you fair warning....every time i answer a question with a picture attached about 2 dozen others will jump in saying the opposite of my opinions) so, for what its worth.....

the first pic seems to show some webbing which could indicate webworm.

i'll assume you will use or already have used Dylox (trichlorfon) for the grub populations? the good news is that Dylox will also control webworm

Green Dreams
08-24-2005, 05:29 PM
That looks like a spider web that set up shop for a chinch bug buffet. Of course I am in SE Texas and it is a whole other world agronomically speaking.

PetalsandPines
08-24-2005, 05:37 PM
I applied Dylox 6.2 at the 10,000 Sq Ft/Bag rate. It was followed by a 1/2" rain fall the following day and another 1/2" rainfall the day after. This was last Thursday. Not seeing much of an effect on the little grubs yet.

lawnservice
08-24-2005, 05:48 PM
I applied Dylox 6.2 at the 10,000 Sq Ft/Bag rate. It was followed by a 1/2" rain fall the following day and another 1/2" rainfall the day after. This was last Thursday. Not seeing much of an effect on the little grubs yet.
give it 7-10 days. looking at the calandar i see it is just about 7 days. the grubs should be starting to turn black in color. the rain fall amounts seems ideal. might need to be a bit more patient. trichlorfon (dylox) is a good product, it'll get the job done for ya

philk17088
08-24-2005, 06:32 PM
The webbing is the mycellium of leaf spot disease, you can see the severity of it by the melting out of the grass. Add that to the list of probelms with the lawn. ;)

Mscotrid
08-24-2005, 06:34 PM
If the photo was taken in the morning, I'd say that looks like Mycellium, which would lead me to believe there could Fungus activity along with a few other issues. Sod Webworm does leave that webbing. It leaves a silking webbing at it's tunnel entrance which is associated with frass, {worm sh*t

KLR
08-24-2005, 06:39 PM
The webbing is the mycellium of leaf spot disease, you can see the severity of it by the melting out of the grass. Add that to the list of probelms with the lawn. ;)
say what?????????

kcchiefs58
08-25-2005, 12:00 AM
A great product for sod webworm is a product called tempo, doesnt take care of grubs though.

Runner
08-25-2005, 03:21 PM
For the young grubs AND sod webworms, your weapon of choice right now MAY be Carbaryl (Sevin).

lawnservice
08-25-2005, 06:14 PM
For the young grubs AND sod webworms, your weapon of choice right now MAY be Carbaryl (Sevin).
though carbaryl is labeled for grubs my experience when using this product has been very poor.

in fact i beleive to get grub kill using carbaryl one must get on their hands and knees....dig out the little buggers....place them on pavement....and beat them with the carbaryl packaging (2 gal jugs work best, 50 lb. bags also work ...but not as well)
:)
trichlorfon (dylox) would be the quickest acting product IMO

Runner
08-25-2005, 11:40 PM
This is so true. For grubs, it has to be applied at the high end, but they must be very infintile, as well..I mean VERY small! Dialox IS much more thorough, I was just refering as to one product addressing both problems.

SodKing
08-26-2005, 07:14 AM
If the photo was taken in the morning, I'd say that looks like Mycellium, which would lead me to believe there could Fungus activity along with a few other issues. Sod Webworm does leave that webbing. It leaves a silking webbing at it's tunnel entrance which is associated with frass, {worm sh*t

Bingo...I will state that the damage in the photos is likley caused by a combination of sod webworm and drought damage, but you also have an active infestation of leaf spot fungus.