PDA

View Full Version : apples on lawn?

bluerider
08-24-2005, 12:44 PM
This year there seems to be a huge amount of apples on all the apple trees in my area. The trees are so overloaded that the apples have been dropping for about a month now. So in a lot of places there is starting to be alot of apples on the lawns underneath the trees. I was wondering what most people do about them. Do you pick them up or just mow over them? If I mow over them alot of them get cut up in bits or get flatten out and that makes a mess. If you pick them up do you charge the customer a clean up fee for it?

Hank Reardon
08-24-2005, 03:06 PM
We service a large property with an orchard and are paid to pick them up prior to mowing. Makes too much of a mess to leave them on the ground.

GLC51
08-24-2005, 04:14 PM
I mow over them I'm not getting paid to pick them up , if the customer can't be bothered to pick them up niether can I. If a customer complained about it I would say OK if you pay me $ X per hour.

jbell113
08-24-2005, 04:39 PM
I would mow em into apple sauce.

bluerider
08-24-2005, 04:46 PM
thats what I thought too. Why should I pick them up if I ain't getting paid for it. But I hate seeing the mess it makes to mow over them. So maybe I need to ask the customer if they want them picked up and tell them that it will cost extra to pick them up.

sheshovel
08-24-2005, 04:56 PM
That is exactly what you should do bluerider.........
.Just mowing over ,making a big mess
and then seeing if the customer complains..then telling them it will be x amount to pick them up is NOT the way to do good business.

John Gamba
08-24-2005, 05:26 PM
Bees love apples. If you don't pick them up, You could be off the mower anyways :D

Just toss them onto a pile by the tree trunk. finished business. it takes i minuet.

John

A+ Lawncare
08-24-2005, 05:49 PM
i eat em if there's healthy & not rotten ;)

RedWingsDet
08-24-2005, 06:30 PM
I mow over apples and pears and dog crap, how ever if I step in the dog crap, its a $20 charge extra.

sildoc
08-24-2005, 07:27 PM
like said before, Apple sauce. No way am I picking up any apples for free. When doing a bid I ask specifically if there are any Apple, Pear, Plum, Orange, or other large fruit trees. If they say yes I address the situation there. Most of the time they say they will pick them up. I have one guy that I bill my leaf rate on his fruit trees.
Personally I hate picking up the crap.

John Gamba
08-24-2005, 08:26 PM
[QUOTE=sildoc]like said before, Apple sauce. No way am I picking up any apples for free. When doing a bid I ask specifically if there are any Apple, Pear, Plum, Orange, or other large fruit trees. If they say yes I address the situation there. Most of the time they say they will pick them up.

QUOTE]

What do you do when they say they wont pick them up, or will not pay you to do it??
John

nobagger
08-24-2005, 10:02 PM
Same here! I can't even get her to pay us to trim the lower branches off so they don't keep smacking us in the face.

sildoc
08-24-2005, 11:39 PM
[QUOTE=sildoc]like said before, Apple sauce. No way am I picking up any apples for free. When doing a bid I ask specifically if there are any Apple, Pear, Plum, Orange, or other large fruit trees. If they say yes I address the situation there. Most of the time they say they will pick them up.

QUOTE]

What do you do when they say they wont pick them up, or will not pay you to do it??
John
John, Just like I said. Apple sauce. Mow over them. It is not worth my time to pick them up. I am getting paid to do a job. I didn't get a diesel thrown in my truck for free, I am not picking up their fruit for free either.

sildoc
08-24-2005, 11:42 PM
Same here! I can't even get her to pay us to trim the lower branches off so they don't keep smacking us in the face.

This is a totaly different subject. If I have branches that are in the way I first try to get them to pay me to remove them. I hold out a week or two. After that if they are not going to pay then I will ask to remove them for free.
I can mow way faster if I don't have to duck or worry about getting smacked in the shin or face than the time it takes me to cut a few lousy branches. Cutting branches are more than worth my time to do for free. Picking up fruit doesn't slow me down enough to worry about.

daveintoledo
08-24-2005, 11:44 PM
nice old couple said, what do you want to do with the apples, i said, ill just mow over them , 93 year old man said " thats what i used to do!" no problem.....

just watch out with the string trimmer, that can kid of suck :blush:

1grnlwn
08-25-2005, 01:11 AM
When a customer gives us apples, we make apple sauce.

Fantasy Lawns
08-25-2005, 01:14 AM
Gee ... if they are like oranges, grape fruit or lemons ..... we cut em up .... my dad's yard has 9 of em on less than 1 acre

meathead1134
08-25-2005, 10:41 AM

^^^ what he said

betterlawn
08-25-2005, 11:01 AM
I really wonder if anyone saying that you should pick them up for free has ever actually mowed a lawn with apple trees... :rolleyes:

No way should that be free. There's tons of them, half of them are rotten, squishy, and full of bees, worms, bugs, whatever.

Crabapples are even worse, theres like 20x more of them and you can't even do anything with them.

Either charge to pick them up or run them over. They will go away after a couple of weeks (months). Its amazing how docile the bees are when they are on the apples - I've raked and shoveled lots of them loaded with bees and never even got landed on by a bee. They're probably drunk on the fermented apples. :dizzy:

eruuska
08-25-2005, 03:00 PM
I've got 1 customer with an apple tree. Every time I mow around it, it smells like someone spilled a gallon of hard cider! :blush:

lqmustang
08-25-2005, 10:56 PM
I made alot of applesauce this morning. :) It may be a bit messy, but sure smells better than some other things that get squished under the tires.

bluerider
08-26-2005, 07:58 PM
I am not too keen of mowing over them cause when there is a lot of them like there is this year they can really make a mess. And that mess ends up get all over the mower in the tires and on the deck. It makes more mess to clean up when I have to clean the deck out after mowing. Also it would seem to me that apples are naturally acidic and get that acid all over my mower doesn't seem like it would be a good thing for it. Seems to me like that could possibly cause it to be more likely to get rusted sooner.

sildoc
08-26-2005, 08:07 PM
I am not too keen of mowing over them cause when there is a lot of them like there is this year they can really make a mess. And that mess ends up get all over the mower in the tires and on the deck. It makes more mess to clean up when I have to clean the deck out after mowing. Also it would seem to me that apples are naturally acidic and get that acid all over my mower doesn't seem like it would be a good thing for it. Seems to me like that could possibly cause it to be more likely to get rusted sooner.

Rust on the underside of the mower is a ridiculous phenomenon. It only happens if it sits and does not get used. If you are using your mower it will not rust on the bottom of the deck. Too much sand and dirt particles powering off the rust. As for a mess yes it does. How much dog pooo do you pick up?

bluerider
08-26-2005, 09:48 PM
I am not so much worried about rust under the mower deck as much as I am about rust on top of the deck and around the rest of the machine.

bluerider
08-29-2005, 09:23 PM
I am now thinking about putting a clause in my contract for this situation. Does anybody else have anything in their contracts about apples? If so, how do you word it?

eruuska
08-29-2005, 11:18 PM
I am now thinking about putting a clause in my contract for this situation. Does anybody else have anything in their contracts about apples? If so, how do you word it?

I can't see how putting an "apple clause" in a contract is going to help you. I guess I'm confused as to what harm apples can cause. You said you were worried about the outside of the mower rather than the underside -- how can apples even get on the outside? Wouldn't they just go out the discharge chute with everything else? If you're concerned, just hose it down when you get home. Plus, I think putting something like that in writing is just going to make you look like a nut.