PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected Work

Landscape89
08-24-2005, 05:45 PM
Even though I am only 16 and do about 8 residential accounts.. I have already experienced a lot of customers who will call you out to just do Lawn Maintenance, then once u finish that they come out and tell you you have to do this and that ( pull weeds, trim this, move this, spread that etc) while your there. Im not complaining rather just wondering if things like this happen to you guys when your out working or do your customers just let u do what needs to be done?

-SH

rodfather
08-24-2005, 06:11 PM
Then just tell them how much MORE this will cost per week is all. They'll get the picture real fast, believe me...

RedWingsDet
08-24-2005, 07:25 PM
I do what mr. rodfather does... Plus, Once you get to know your customers, you can do things like weeding on a regular basis, knowing they wont care how much it costs.

ODwyerPW
09-15-2005, 12:10 AM
First of all, if an elderly customer asks me or one of my guys to pull up an obnoxious 3' rag weed that takes me less than 5 seconds to do....well just do it and don't make a big deal of it. However, if the extra work is significant there are a couple of ways to handle it:

Do the work and eat it. That's no good.

Say no and annoy the customer. That's no good.

Dicker over a price and irritate you and the customer. That's no good.

Do the work and just put a minor charge on the bill after the fact (a sort of better to ask for forgiveness then permission approach). When they ask about it, just say, "Well it took me X amount of time to accomodate those extra requests, so I have to charge." They'll pay it. Next time, they will either not asks (meaning they don't appreciate paying for it) or they will asks (and you can charge for it). Works for me.

freddyc
09-15-2005, 09:43 AM
First of all, if an elderly customer asks me or one of my guys to pull up an obnoxious 3' rag weed that takes me less than 5 seconds to do....well just do it and don't make a big deal of it. However, if the extra work is significant there are a couple of ways to handle it:

Do the work and eat it. That's no good.

Say no and annoy the customer. That's no good.

Dicker over a price and irritate you and the customer. That's no good.

Do the work and just put a minor charge on the bill after the fact (a sort of better to ask for forgiveness then permission approach). When they ask about it, just say, "Well it took me X amount of time to accomodate those extra requests, so I have to charge." They'll pay it. Next time, they will either not asks (meaning they don't appreciate paying for it) or they will asks (and you can charge for it). Works for me.

How can you charge for a non-agreed upon service/charge?

rick2752
09-15-2005, 05:46 PM
How can they expect non agreed upon extra jobs without compensation. You are hired to mow the lawn, edge and blow, not weed the beds move the picnic table and other odd jobs.

prizeprop
09-15-2005, 09:22 PM
Have a every 2week customer thats not a quality account. I saw a 8' oak branch in the back of one of the dump trucks and asked my crew leader where it came from, he said mrs x house. I ask if she told them to take it, he said yes. Billed her $8 and she paid.It was a minimal charge just to let the customer know any extra work has a price on it. A high paying customer would probably let slide.

Joemowz
09-17-2005, 04:27 PM
We get the same thing. I'll explain we are mowing today and do not have time to the extra's they want done but can give a quick est; and will call this evening when I can set up a apointment.
EXTRA WORK MEANS EXTRA MONEY!!!

SpudsM15
09-18-2005, 11:32 AM
You definatly get that from the older customers... It happens all the time. Of course they will get charged for any extra wether the charge be $5 of $100.... I learned the lesson of doing Favors for free...
Of course the past 2 months we haven't gotten much rain so my lawn days I find myself doing alot of favors...

fcl01
09-19-2005, 01:26 PM
How can you charge for a non-agreed upon service/charge?

charging them is the easy part. getting them to pay for it is another thing.
LOL

sheshovel
09-19-2005, 02:03 PM
Landscape89,When you make a work agreement with your customers,be sure to make it clear to them exactly what it is you are going to do for the amount of money they are paying you.I will mow,blow-off hard surfaces,and edge your lawn for x amount of money..Any other requests for work above and beyond my normal service will be billed accordingly.
or... For any other work you may need done I will be happy to do but there will be an additional charge .
or If you would like add additional work then I will be happy to do it for you for an additional charge
or if they come out unexpectedly and ask you to do something then just say"Ok not a problem but I will have to add a bit to your bill."