PDA

View Full Version : Chemlawn

Joe721
08-24-2005, 08:18 PM
Why is everyone using this stuff, its bad! A yard on my street just started using it because the little Green ChemLawn sign was in yard and her grass was fine I dont know why she needs Chemlawn. Also I have been hearing tons of complaints about them. I saw a chemlawn truck today to in my neighborhood. Im in Florida.

stumper1620
08-24-2005, 08:21 PM
Why is everyone using this stuff, its bad! A yard on my street just started using it because the little Green ChemLawn sign was in yard and her grass was fine I dont know why she needs Chemlawn. Also I have been hearing tons of complaints about them. I saw a chemlawn truck today to in my neighborhood. Im in Florida.
I don't know, but I just took a contract away from them today, I take over for the fall treatments. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
this is in an area that they have a bunch of accounts, burned all of them this year and all the lawns are thin.

Scotts' Yard Care
08-24-2005, 08:26 PM
Everyone wants that lush green instantaneously and so they douse it with nitrogen and it grows 6 inches in a week :rolleyes: Few people understand the stress this puts on the turf so they just see the fast results rather than the long term damage.

stumper1620
08-24-2005, 08:36 PM
Everyone wants that lush green instantaneously and so they douse it with nitrogen and it grows 6 inches in a week :rolleyes: Few people understand the stress this puts on the turf so they just see the fast results rather than the long term damage.
Ya but, TGCL did the burns, once these people around that area see this lawn next spring I will take the whole area.

cantoo
08-24-2005, 10:50 PM
Very few Chemlawn around here but we do have the Weedman. I know of the guy but have never met him. The lawns I have seen that they do look really good. In fact yesterday I was commenting on how good this homeower lawn looked and the Weedman guy walked around the corner of the garage with a fert spreader as I was talking. The guy cuts his own grass and the place is perfect, I've been thinking of stopping in and asking how much he pays them for fert and squirt. I recommend some customers to the Weedman if they want a perfect lawn. I don't have time for customers who want every single weed gone, I make more money on the guys who just want a reasonable looking lawn. They also don't call me for every little weed they see popping up.

Scotts' Yard Care
08-24-2005, 11:30 PM
Ya but, TGCL did the burns, once these people around that area see this lawn next spring I will take the whole area.

We have chemical addicts around here that still use these types of services even after they've nearly killed their lawns. I don't know what it would take to wean them away from this.

Jason Rose
08-25-2005, 01:22 AM
2 lawns I mow have chemlawn (and hopefully NOT next season!) They did 2 apps of granular fert back to back within 3 weeks of one another in the 90 to 100 degree kansas heat!!! One lawn looks ok, the other is totally yellow from the surge growth basically out growing what the roots can provide. totally rediculous... They don't give a **** about what anyones lawn looks like, its all about money. If there's a lack of profit in a particular month they just send the tech's out to do another app fast so they can get it billed out and get the numbers back up.

I hate chem lawn!

Pro Lawn LLC
08-25-2005, 12:47 PM
It is all about the numbers with Tru Green/ Chemlawn. I just finished reading their corporate quarterly report for the 2nd quarter. Their gross revenue was 478 million dollars for those 3 months. Their net income was 69 million dollars. I agree their service leaves a great deal to be desired, but from a business standpoint they are a highly efficient and successful operation. Theirs is a constant balancing act between cost control and profitability, and customer base growth and customer retention. In this business the company that provides the best results for the customers isn't the most successful. It is sad but true. I am struggling with this issue right now trying to find a happy medium between profitability and service quality.

GreenUtah
08-25-2005, 01:05 PM
I was actually always grateful to Chemlawn for creating the market, the want, if you will, for fert services. It's their inability to live up to what their marketing machine pitches that opens the door for everyone that has followed, including everyone here. Just count yourself fortunate that a company that size does not have a focus on best service, but rather a growth of sales numbers every single day. If your market has a branch with say, 10000 customers and they churn 30% each year, how many people have they put up for grabs that are used to paying for service already and just want what was promised? Recognize the differences between what you can do and what they do and take advantage of it. Your small and quick, can make changes to accomodate small opportunities. They are the Titanic times ten thousand and need the whole ocean to turn in. Do what you know you need to deliver results and you'll be fine in a market where they are.

kcchiefs58
08-25-2005, 04:33 PM
Right on GreenUtah, we also look at it as chem lawn is our best referral system, I think their service has done wonders for us

SodKing
08-25-2005, 05:27 PM

Is this your first day in the real life of landscaping?

Joe721
08-26-2005, 09:21 PM
What? Is that an insult? Why do you care if its my first day or 30th year in landscaping?