PDA

View Full Version : Which Walk-behind Edger Do You Use?

Tanaka
08-24-2005, 08:30 PM
Which Walk-behind Edger Do You Use?

MW

Runner
08-24-2005, 09:40 PM
McClane...Pound for pound, penny for penny, the best.

Turfdude
08-24-2005, 10:02 PM
McClane...Pound for pound, penny for penny, the best.
Sorry Joe, This IS one time I'll disagree w/ you. If you run W/b edgers, the shaft drive tanaka IS THE BEST. I've used Little wonder, McClane, Scag & Powertrim. Top-Bottom= Tanaka Powertrim/Scag, LittleWonder then McClane. Sorry, just calling it like I see it!!

fga
08-24-2005, 10:19 PM
kee trailmate. period.

nobagger
08-24-2005, 10:19 PM

MW
Hey Mark, I am in the market for a new edger (walk behind) I was thinking of another McClane but undesided.

gunner27
08-24-2005, 11:16 PM
I've had a Mclane for about 7 or 8 years now. Not bad, I think a shaft drive would be nice though.

Runner
08-25-2005, 02:48 PM
What's the price of the Tanaka shaft driven?

Grassmechanic
08-25-2005, 03:45 PM

MW
John Deere E-35

LB1234
08-25-2005, 07:20 PM
LOL....Cub Cadet...running strong for ~5yrs. Only use it a few hours a month over 7-8 months.

Grass Cake
08-25-2005, 08:36 PM
But...i plan on purchasing a Tanaka as soon as possible.
I was a CATV lineman for over 20yrs and we used your gas powered drills......I saw them with broken handles,bent bits,duct taped gas tanks,crushed housings, dropped from 50ft,highway skids at 70 mph.....you couldn't kill those things!

The parts issue was always a pain though.

Still.....a great tool!
:cool:

Lux Lawn
08-25-2005, 08:46 PM
Mclane walk behind.Tanaka stick edger

Shane7258
08-25-2005, 08:58 PM
Why do you use a walk behind? Seriously I would like to know what that does better than a stick edger.. I have'nt seen anyone using those in Columbus GA that's why I am asking

Tonyr
08-25-2005, 09:01 PM
I only use a walk behind on the really big commercial jobs, I use a Kawasaki.

ilovethisgame
08-25-2005, 09:15 PM
Byho 400, one wheel design unsurpassed maneuverability

lawnmaniac883
08-25-2005, 09:30 PM
Old arse blue boy that I got free from some guy. Works just as well as a high end walk edger but burns a little smoke. Small tradeoff for a free machine.

Turfdude
08-25-2005, 09:52 PM
Joe, many years ago 6+ I paid $700 a pice for a pair of them

daltonbuck
08-25-2005, 10:02 PM
Guys, I know I am new to all of this...well fairly new. But, please, enlighten me? With the excellent quality stick edgers that are on the market these days, why would one still use walk behind edgers? I guess I am missing a huge point here, but I kind of thought those things were obsolete. let me know please.

Dalton

wriken
08-25-2005, 10:09 PM
MTD 3.5 hp :)

Killswitch
08-25-2005, 10:13 PM
I've had the original Tanaka shaft drive edger for probably 13 years. Same unit.....runs like a top still.

grass_cuttin_fool
08-25-2005, 10:22 PM
Guys, I know I am new to all of this...well fairly new. But, please, enlighten me? With the excellent quality stick edgers that are on the market these days, why would one still use walk behind edgers? I guess I am missing a huge point here, but I kind of thought those things were obsolete. let me know please.

Dalton
If you are doing alot of edging or a very long edge on a property or an over grown edge, It is alot easier to push the edger than to tote a stick edger and keep it lined up and cutting. I use both, the wheeled edger for heavy growth or first edge of the year or new property, then the stick edger for weekly edging. Some one else said that if you are gonna use a stick edger for more than 5 minutes on a property then use a push edger and I agree with them.

grass_cuttin_fool
08-25-2005, 10:24 PM
I have a craftsman push edger that is 10 years old. The first 2 years it saw alot of use and then most off my properties didnt have side walks. The last 3 years since I have been full time it gets alot of use now. I have a sticl FS85 with the edger attachment for my stick edger

cash_money
08-25-2005, 10:42 PM
a brown edger but wish i would of went with an all weel steer one its hard to master then little small trees

gogetter
08-25-2005, 11:23 PM
Joe, many years ago 6+ I paid $700 a pice for a pair of them

Bob, I think the point Joe was making when he asked the price goes back to his comment "penny for penny". No question the Tanakas are some sweet edgers, but quite expensive. You can buy TWO of the commercial Maclanes for the price of ONE Tanaka.

For me personally, with the amount of edging that I do that actually requires a w/b edger, I just don't think I could justify the cost of the Tanaka.

My old cheapy Trim Rite is only really used at the beginning of the season on a handful of new accounts that have really overgrown edges. After the initial cut in, I can alternate between the stick edger and string trimmer from week to week.

That $700 Tanaka would be sitting in the garage too many weeks out of the year for me.

hole in one lco
08-26-2005, 12:03 AM
i need a price for your tbl 7600r if its comparable to my kawasaki ill give you a try

Olylawnboy
08-26-2005, 12:37 AM
So these things are really in the $700. range? What can they do better? I've been using a pair of PowerTrims for the last 14 years now and I use them a lot! (they just havn't died yet)I use a stick edger a little but I mostly use my walk-behinds. I think they just make a better edge. I would rather push the things then carry the stick edger around.
And what happens when a shaft-driven unit hits a piece of re-bar or a solid rock or a piece of concrete that shouldn't be there? Belt drives are kind of forgiving in those conditions.
And it's a 2-stroke? Is there any advantage there? Just wondering as there is not much real info on the Tanaka web site. And yea, I'm going to buy a couple of new edgers before next spring....Oly

Grassmechanic
08-26-2005, 10:50 AM

Dalton
When they make a 3 1/2 HP stick edger, then we may have something to compare it to.

Tanaka
08-26-2005, 12:19 PM
What's the price of the Tanaka shaft driven?

Hi,
The suggested retail for the new TLE-600 will be $799.99.

-MW

Tanaka
08-26-2005, 12:20 PM
So these things are really in the $700. range? What can they do better? I've been using a pair of PowerTrims for the last 14 years now and I use them a lot! (they just havn't died yet)I use a stick edger a little but I mostly use my walk-behinds. I think they just make a better edge. I would rather push the things then carry the stick edger around.
And what happens when a shaft-driven unit hits a piece of re-bar or a solid rock or a piece of concrete that shouldn't be there? Belt drives are kind of forgiving in those conditions.
And it's a 2-stroke? Is there any advantage there? Just wondering as there is not much real info on the Tanaka web site. And yea, I'm going to buy a couple of new edgers before next spring....Oly

Which Powertrim model do you use?

Tanaka
08-26-2005, 12:25 PM
i need a price for your tbl 7600r if its comparable to my kawasaki ill give you a try

Hi,
What's your zip code?

-MW

hole in one lco
08-26-2005, 04:33 PM
Hi,
What's your zip code?

-MW
Chad kashubeck
301 riverdale dr
rocky river ohio

leaflawnandlimb
08-26-2005, 07:00 PM
echo pe260 and a little wonder bed-shaper.

SpudsM15
08-26-2005, 07:46 PM
We have been using our echo pas-260 with an edger attach for 3 years now... The coupler is a little worn out and so is the edger attachment. Stick edgers are great for weekly edging hands down...They leave perfect edges everytime... But on new edges and long runs say hello to some wrist problems and a serious tricep workout... We just invested in a little wonder extra-edger... It has double blades and the 33.6cc engine really cuts through tuff edges... The handle style is very comfortable...I will admit it is a little clumsier than a stick edger but on the long runs it makes it worth it...
I advise when shopping for a stick edger buy the model that has the biggest engine on it... you'll need the power.

vanguard
02-27-2006, 10:15 PM
McLane Commercial (so it says) w/3.5 Briggs I/C 7 or 8 years old and bullet proof! :usflag:

midwest
03-25-2006, 04:18 PM
Wanting to know if the tanaka really is worth it considering I will just be using it in the beginning of the season. Then I go with the redmax stick edger. Have a lot of edging on commercial properties but not sure if it worth $800. That is the cheapest I've found.

chriscraft
03-25-2006, 04:41 PM
for a walk behind tanaka for sure is the best the most expensive and shaft driven no belts, but if you break the shaft which can be done easily if yo uhave monkees using it instead of just you, they are a fortune to fix. for price and maintenance i think mc clane are good but every McClane i owned we had to lock tight bolts after we got it home or the blocks , nuts and bolts would vibrate off, i actually had a block come nearly off after 1 day . my guy wondered why it was vibrating lol. Its worth the xtra cash for the 4.5 or 5 hp engine also.

midwest
03-25-2006, 06:18 PM
thanks for the input. I will not always be using it so the Mclane lookes like it will be the way to go. What did you pay for it and do you have the 4.5 or 5 hp. unit. looked at the prices. The honda 4 hp is 569 and the 3.5 hpBriggs is 288.95. What do you think

fazzy815-66
03-25-2006, 09:54 PM
Sorry guys I think your all nuts!!!! I use a sthil stick edger even fo overgrown
work (as much as 3-4"overgrowth) I just put a fresh blade on and go.I used to have a walk behind edger years and years ago. when stick edgers came out I never went back.I don't even see walk behind edgers being used commercialy around here (Except homeowners)
George:)

dkeisala
03-25-2006, 10:20 PM
$800 for an w/b edger? Tack on sales tax and the thing is $863.20 for me. That's crazy!!!

I had an old MTD years ago that I used a few times. Sold it at a garage sale last year for $20. It's been string and stick edgers ever since. Sure, an overgrown edge takes a little longer but you can buy two Stihl stick edgers and have change left over for the price of the Tanaka.

Maybe, just maybe, if I had a huge commercial complex but even then, a w/b would take up valuable trailer space, be one more thing to have to tie down and as far as productivity, I think it would just slow us down.

Runner
03-25-2006, 10:25 PM
The McClanes that I have ever used (including the John Deere which was a McClane) were always right around $300....maybe 3 something.

midwest
03-25-2006, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the input. Been using a stick edger for awhile and borrowed a walkbehind from a friend for the overgrown stuff. Works 10x better than the stick edger.Going over the same edge 5/6 times to make it look good is not productive. Ecspecially if your doing large commercial prop. Also with the the stick edger the mud tends to get caught up on the wheel if I go over so many times. Then I get a tire mark of mud the whole way down the walk. As far as trailer space you have got to be kidding me. It tucks under the front of my box and the mower. Not an issue at all. I see a place and time for both. In spring the walkbehind is great for new or overgrown edges and then I switch to the stick edger(redmax, only the best),

boxsky
07-30-2006, 02:19 AM
Just picked up a lightly used Tanaka 550. Talked to many people that rate it the best. Time will tell. Price was 275 for edger and a dozen blades. Has about 15-20 hrs on it. And it was DUSTY!