PDA

View Full Version : Pine nugget mulch & termite activity

Chris GriffinJAI
03-12-2001, 04:46 PM
Has anybody noticed any new or additional termite activity as a result of using pine nuggets or hardwood mulch as a ground cover/mulch in flower & shrubbery beds?

Do any of your customers with termite treatment service report any need for additional or follow-up applications after installing pine nuggets or hardwood mulch?

Are these types of mulch typically treated with any insecticide and if so what might they be?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Chris/Just Admire It Landscapes

Louis
03-15-2001, 10:11 PM
I was in the termite buisness for a while and I'll try to share the little that I know.Termites will go after the nuggets.They will eat any material of that type be it wood,cardboard,paper and so on.As long as they can keep warm and moist they are active.If there is enough gap between the wood on the house and ground level a regular inspection can be made and the bugs kept in check.Home Depot and some hardware stores have termaticed chemical and that can keep them back.The home is treated at ground level so if the termites can find a way over and around they will use it.This is part of the reason pinestraw mulch is so popular.Hope this helps!!.