PDA

View Full Version : quick question

ronslawncare
08-24-2005, 10:25 PM
I know this doesnt belong here but I will get more feedback here.I found a 1993 ford xlt centurion crew cab/duilley hitch /wired for trailer $7,500 but it has 160,000 miles on it please let me know what you think thanks ronnie.

Shuter
08-24-2005, 10:27 PM
I would not consider that, but if it works for you go for it.

ronslawncare
08-24-2005, 10:29 PM
need more input please why is it not good because of the nmileage and year.

CutInEdge Lawn Care
08-24-2005, 10:36 PM
Gas or Diesel? www.kbb.com or www.nada.com

ronslawncare
08-24-2005, 10:40 PM
its a gasser

ed2hess
08-24-2005, 10:47 PM
That is a lot for a truch that old and with those miles, I guess it must be in excellent shape. That unit won't get good gas mileage ours gets around 7mpg. You can get a pretty good work truck for $7500, like a F150.

ronslawncare
08-24-2005, 10:50 PM
thats the thing its in excellent condition

Brianslawn
08-24-2005, 11:05 PM
twice too high. i spent $5000 on my 97 ranger with 63000 miles few years ago. i know its a bit smaller, but you can find a better deal. if that truck was diesel maybe $5000. gas... prob $3000. just guessing off hand, but would look it up on kbb.

mow king
08-24-2005, 11:05 PM
With gas prices as high as they are, do you need that big of a truck? Or can you get away with a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup?

lwcmattlifter
08-25-2005, 12:55 AM
Is it 4x4, auto or manual trans?

ronslawncare
08-25-2005, 01:01 AM
its automatic.this is definately a gas guzzler i can tell just by the size.

Ironmower
08-25-2005, 12:22 PM
twice too high. i spent $5000 on my 97 ranger with 63000 miles few years ago. i know its a bit smaller, but you can find a better deal. if that truck was diesel maybe $5000. gas... prob $3000. just guessing off hand, but would look it up on kbb.

Centurion was the conversion to make an F-350 into a Suburban type vehicle. Those trucks are so rare that one in great shape even being a gasser and with those miles will bring more than $7500, don't base it just on the fact that its a conventional F-series pickup. The Centurions were land yachts in their day, and some still prefer them over the new Suburbans and Expeditions. The only real determent to the value is if the motor is using oil or is otherwise in poor condition in some way or another. The other issue currently is that gas prices will also affect what its worth. Given the current price of gas, I'd offer $6000 and go from there.

ronslawncare
08-26-2005, 02:08 PM
i just offered 6,500 today waiting to get an answer back i love the truck.How much would it be to filler up around$70.00

UNISCAPER
08-26-2005, 09:07 PM
That is alot of miles for the price. List what you are doing with it and the probability of going down, and what it will cost if it does. Say something cathastropic goes, tranny, engine etc. Half what you pay for the truck is going to be the repair cost. And with 160K, anything like that could happen.

Now, if you could get the price say to half, $3,500.00, it makes things a alittle more attractive, and gives you a safegaurd in case the big one did happen. You have to look at what you paid, what a big repair would run, and the probability of if you did not make that big repair, you are basically going to be selling this rig for scap. Then you loose it all.

ronslawncare
08-26-2005, 10:25 PM
I dont know why i wrote 160 its 132,00 its still alot but its alot better than what i have now.I will be using it for everything this will be my main truck ,lawn maint,landscaping

UNISCAPER
08-26-2005, 11:48 PM
Ron:

As a main truck, I think you are pushing the envelope. I've been in positions where I could not do a new truck, and by all means, that's ok if that's where you're at...but, experience tells me that even at 132K, you are due for a tranny, maybe an engine, differetnial, etc. So take the 7K you are being asked to pay. Say a tranny goes....Plan on a $2,500.00 repair and lost time. That's why I say go for less money, or upgrade if you can possibly do so. Older trucks won't save you any money over new by the time you figure all the unscheduled repairs and lost billable time. So, offer less, in my opinion..

ronslawncare
08-28-2005, 07:29 AM
thanks uniscaper ,he never even called me back i guess he thinks he has gold its been 2 days since i made the offer.

Markf
08-28-2005, 09:51 AM
Ron and Uni,
This is why I posted this thread (see below) a few days ago. It is very difficult to accurately determine the cost of a used truck especially when it is not stock (add ons, dump, special plow etc.) KBB and NADA are of no help. Any input is appreciated. :help:
Mark
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=117147

UNISCAPER
08-28-2005, 11:46 AM
Mark:

I saw your post late last night. I feel similarly to your post as I do to Ron's. With that year Ford,, it had the E-4OD tranny, maybe a C-6 if you are very lucky. Assuming the E-4OD, it has probably had all or most of the upgrades Ford made, and even with those, that tranny is still flawed badly. I did not want in any way to turn a thread into a ford vs chevy pissing match, but facts are facts and anytime someone mentions a Ford flaw, there is an uneducated kid in there who goes balistic, so, I left it be.

Back to the truck.....You got a truck with over 100K, used obviously for work and plowing no less. If you pay the asking price, and you get one serious repair, you almost either have to make that repair at 2K plus, or scrap the truck. If you make the repair, you feel a sense of value and are playing Russian roulette as to when the nest major repair is going to happen. If you scap the truck, you sit ona pil;e of metal until those who need specific parts come along to get them, or you dump it to the hands of a bone yard for a fraction of your purchase price. Hence, if you take what you loose in that scenaro, there is your new truck downstroke, whatever brand that new truck may be.

Ironmower
08-28-2005, 03:56 PM
...but facts are facts and anytime someone mentions a Ford flaw, there is an uneducated kid in there who goes balistic, so, I left it be.

I happened to be in that 'uneducated kid's' area last week at an equipment auction and I sent him a PM before I went, we exchanged info and we met after the sale, spent the rest of the day at his place. He's not as uneducated as you think. He showed me around his place and all, showed me his projects as well as what he works on and works with. I'm just a lurker for the most part on here, so I spent some time reading what he had done and all, and while I was down there, I asked about what you questioned his knowledge on. He proved his knowledge to me beyond a shadow of a doubt. I sure wouldn't call him uneducated unless I was the uneducated one. For someone to have such a small operation, he's got his stuff in order, and he keeps it in tip top shape. If he wasn't in school, I'd hire him as my fleet manager, that's how good he is with his equipment.

Now I know you may disagree with what he says, but don't call him uneducated by any means, he knows much more than you give him credit for. A young man like him will go far, he shows initiative, very rare in folks his age. I wish my sons had turned out more like him. Not to mention he's in one of the best schools in the country for his major, Ag Engineering at North Carolina State. If scholarships had been available in the late 50's like they are today, I would have gone there.

Call him uneducated if you want, but I know better because I saw firsthand what he knows.

BTW, on the topic of the truck, the E40D can be replaced with a C6, it's a simple swap in, just need to get the correct vacuum lines and its a direct swap. If you want OD, get a Gear Vendors OD and add it on. Sometimes its better to build your own truck starting with a solid base than it is to replace the original items.

ed2hess
08-28-2005, 04:35 PM
On our F350 everything cost a lot more to repair than convention 1/2 ton truck. For example the emergency brake cable broke off inside the wheel drum. We had to pull the axle to put in the new cable. That would probably have cost us a couple hundred dollars. Tires cost us $750 dollars this year because tread too low to pass inspection, and these were the cheapest tires. Muffler was around $200 and on the F150 it was half. Transmission on our 1/2 ton Chevy was $1200 and I would guess this one would be twice the amount. Everything is heavier and bigger and cost more.....since this truck is gas let it go!

Markf
08-28-2005, 05:03 PM
Uni,
Thanks for the response. How can I tell if the tranny is a E40D or a C6? I assume by the VIN. Please let me know.

I understand your statement regarding purchasing a new truck. However, it is not in the cards. Tuition payment for Fairfield U and real estate taxes set me back many (I mean many)thousands.
Thx.
Mark

UNISCAPER
08-28-2005, 05:12 PM
Interesting that without mentioning names, you assume something. I, frankly have no idea what you are talking about Ironworker.

So I suggest you drop it and lets go back to the topic, as it did not pertain to you.

Assuming this particular truck was purchased for the asking price of $7,300.00. And, you loose a tranny, engine, or whatever might go. Even if you install a good used C-6....Time, lost time, lost production, and cost all counter the deal you might get by going used vs new. Having plowed quite a bit of snow before leaving that type of climate, snow accounts are very unforgiving no matter what the cause of the problem. So I revert to my original statements. If you keep this unit as a spare, I understand and can agree with the logic of going to an older truck. If you are running it every day, and rely on it's service, the price is way too high to justify the saving. Factor in the lost production, weather snow, or pulling a mowing trailer, then the cost of whatever may and probably will break, the number on the truck needs to come down. if you do the repair work yourself, you still need to pay yourself for the time lost, at the rate you charge your clients, and if you pay a shop, you are in for an ankle holding adventure.

the VIN can tell you what something had, simply by giving it to a service manager, and letting them look and see what ti was equipped with. Was being a key work here. Anyone at any time could have made a swap, and with those early E-4OD,s they had aluminum carriers, brass bushings, torque convertors, mild steel input shafts, any one of a number of things that went bad. there were along the time period, many conversions, because C-6's were still very available, and you could get a beefed rebuilt C-6 for under $500.00. We just did one for '38 Ford Club Coupe from start to finish for $930.00, and it's been 15 years give or take since they stopped making the C-6. Basically, the C-6 is a 3 speed, the E4OD is a 4 speed, you should be able to tell that one distinction just by the gear selector and how many forward speeds are on the column, unless one was swapped and they left the column alone. Is there any way to find out that this tranny had any work done from the owner, assuming he can be trusted??

ronslawncare
09-01-2005, 10:49 PM
I will ask him about the tranny work,the guy agreed to go down $1,000 from 7,500 to 6,500 but now after reading these last post im not to sure what im going to do.I can have it checked out by my mechanic i guess but i can still get screwed down the road it sounds like.

UNISCAPER
09-02-2005, 12:28 AM
Ron:

There is yet another scenaro, if this truck does not work out. Since you are going to be the operator, and you won't have to worry about idiotitous from employees and clutches, you could opt to go stick shift, and in that year Ford, it would take the Russian roulette out of the transmission issues.

Just a thought....