PDA

View Full Version : he wants me to wait till october to seed

bobbygedd
08-24-2005, 10:29 PM
well, i been getting call after call from my flyers. landing most of the work. here is an odd request: (this, from a guy who used to be in the lawn business)- i'll need to kill the entire front lawn which contains 99.9% crabgrass. then i need to powerseed. my suggestion is that i spray now, wait a week-2 weeks, and seed. he insists that i spray in mid september, and seed in october. his reasoning-" i used to do this for a living, october is the best time to seed." would you even bother?

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
08-24-2005, 10:58 PM
So, is this guy going to be your boss?

Kelly's Landscaping
08-24-2005, 11:43 PM
Don't do it bob been there now 2 times in a row same customer she is a nut case and has to be in control so rather then let me pick my times this is what happened. Year one the pools guys are coming to close the pool and remove a small in ground tank so I get to wait till the end of Sept for no reason at all. Year two the tennis court guys are resurfacing so you guessed it this time Oct then her leaves come down and kill off what I did manage to grow. This is a 50 man hour fall clean up and I take out 30 yards of leaves after sucking them if that gives you an idea how dumb waiting is. This year I flat out told itís going to be early Sept and I donít give a dame who walks on it.

daveintoledo
08-24-2005, 11:52 PM
then i wouldn't bother, not going to grow where i live in October, early September right, i know thats the answer, establish the lawn well before the first frost, preferably after i charge him for aeration... hahahaha....

i hope I'm close :)

Guthrie&Co
08-24-2005, 11:56 PM
well, i been getting call after call from my flyers. landing most of the work. here is an odd request: (this, from a guy who used to be in the lawn business)- i'll need to kill the entire front lawn which contains 99.9% crabgrass. then i need to powerseed. my suggestion is that i spray now, wait a week-2 weeks, and seed. he insists that i spray in mid september, and seed in october. his reasoning-" i used to do this for a living, october is the best time to seed." would you even bother?
i woudlnt do it. sounds like he is your boss and he might be an oldtime that doesnt know a damn thing about it. there is a reason why he used to do it and not anymore

gorknoids
08-25-2005, 12:14 AM
Scalp it, aerate, and seed right through it now. Let him know that he'll need to have pre-emergent treatment in the spring, but that crabgrass is going to die on its own right soon.
I have told customers that I wouldn't park my vehicles in front their house if they wanted me to do stuff like he's suggesting. He'll obviously ***** to everyone he knows when his yard looks like hell in the spring and blame it on you, and that's generally bad for biznass...............

Drew Gemma
08-25-2005, 12:17 AM
you need to plant seed in the first 2 weeks of september bobby that is the best window for you in your region. leaves will be down and then no germination then next spring he's up your ace I 'd ask him why he is not in business! then tell him your way or no thanks you be glad I am sure.

Jason Rose
08-25-2005, 12:35 AM
Yeah, there is no point to wasting money or time killing crabgrass in the fall. Once the temps get cool enough (not even close here yet, but soon) you can just scalp it off and seed thru it. It won't grow back if it's cool out anyway. Heck it makes a nice mulch to keep the new grass seed from drying out!

zim bob the landscaper
08-25-2005, 09:17 AM
you should do it in early sept. i did my yard last year and it was growing really slow i thought it was going to die in the winter but in the spring it came in so thick it looked like a baseball field i love how it looked but i was paying to much attention to other peoples lawns and not mine and i got grubs :angry: :angry: i will probably reseed it next month

Nosmo
08-25-2005, 09:18 AM
I wouldn't let him tell me how I was going to do the job because it more than likely would end up a mess . You sure don't want a mess connected with your name and of course he is gonna have his story about it to tell every neighbor who he talks to.

If you do it , do it your way which is the right way. You don't want to have to park your vehicle a block away or cover up your signs.

Nosmo