PDA

View Full Version : toro 355 out front z

Brianj
08-24-2005, 10:43 PM
does anybody have a toro 355 outfront z.. i have one, when running right it is one of the best mowers out there, but i have had tons of problems with it, in the past 4 years i bet i have spent over 5000 in repairs. it has been in the repair shop 7 weeks this summer, for the same thing, on 3 different occasions, the gear box keeps vibrating away from the deck, finally they put a new drive shaft in it and that seem to help stop the problem, this mower was a little over a 1000 hours on and this is the third drive shaft that has put in it. toro has a design flaw on the drive shaft, where the grease fitting is for the shaft,when you have dips in the land, that grease fitting hits the frame of the mower and in about 2 days breaks off..toro told my dealer they would replace that drive shaft as long as i had that mower, well when i picked it up today i get a bill for 350 for a new shaft, and as soon as starting cutting with it greasefitting was hitting the frame.. has had any problems with this mower??? i have had numerous others, is it me or did i just get a lemon..

Tonyr
08-24-2005, 11:36 PM
I had a 2001 mod...

like you, when it was good it was great, when it broke down it was a shocker!

And like you, mine had crappy drive shafts too, dealer had mine machined a few times but it never was good, so eventually tight ass toro sprung me a new one (3 actually)....they came bent/ out of balance!!

I got the sh!ts and traded it asap, on a toro ztr midmount, which I just traded as I was tired of the constant downtime....just spent 30k aussie money on a new J.D....30 hours....yup, it's back at the dealer waiting for someone to figure out how to fix it.

I've now come to realise after owning 4 ztr's and not one has been good enough by any standards that companies are simply mass producing garbage, and if you get swift good service think yaself lucky!

btw, with my z355, appart from the drive shaft issues, they had poorly designed spindles, no housings...easily bent....I was told toro has improved this now....eventually! I used to pay $350 per spindle, $800 per driveshaft when toro decided to stop supplying after 3 were bent from factory lol, so they fitted one, I took it out, it vibrated the hell outa everything, I return to dealer, toro says, no more, and as I couldn't prove it was bent, out of balance as I didn't start or run or mow with it at the shop, I had to pay....that's when I traded it.

RSK2
03-11-2006, 10:46 PM
does anybody have a toro 355 outfront z.. i have one, when running right it is one of the best mowers out there, but i have had tons of problems with it, in the past 4 years i bet i have spent over 5000 in repairs. it has been in the repair shop 7 weeks this summer, for the same thing, on 3 different occasions, the gear box keeps vibrating away from the deck, finally they put a new drive shaft in it and that seem to help stop the problem, this mower was a little over a 1000 hours on and this is the third drive shaft that has put in it. toro has a design flaw on the drive shaft, where the grease fitting is for the shaft,when you have dips in the land, that grease fitting hits the frame of the mower and in about 2 days breaks off..toro told my dealer they would replace that drive shaft as long as i had that mower, well when i picked it up today i get a bill for 350 for a new shaft, and as soon as starting cutting with it greasefitting was hitting the frame.. has had any problems with this mower??? i have had numerous others, is it me or did i just get a lemon..

hi i have a 355z got it last year runs good but i have a lot a vibrating from it
it is doing the same thing yours is doing will toro fix it for me or will i have to pay to get it fix

Tonyr
03-11-2006, 11:12 PM
most likely you will pay.....the earlioer models were problematic, I heard the later models were much better.....I don't think Toro even makes these anymore. pity, fantastic design, just that driveshaft issue and weak spindles, surely an easy fix for a big company.

RSK2
03-11-2006, 11:20 PM
most likely you will pay.....the earlioer models were problematic, I heard the later models were much better.....I don't think Toro even makes these anymore. pity, fantastic design, just that driveshaft issue and weak spindles, surely an easy fix for a big company.

hi is there any way i can find out a list of problems with this mower or anythings like that

Tonyr
03-11-2006, 11:45 PM
with mine it was drive shafts being faulty and poorly designed spindle protection, models pre '02 had issues.

it the deck vibrates and you know the spindles are good, it is most likely the drive shaft, and bearing to gearbox....the rest of the machines I found to be very well designed and built, just they put a crappy light deck on a great prime mover.

there isn't much else except a bent or out of balance blade that will cause deck vibrations.....so, the list is, drive shaft may be out of balance or bent, bearing at gearbox may be shot, bent spindle, bent or out of balance blade.