PDA

View Full Version : Got an offer, don't know what to do

mcwlandscaping
08-24-2005, 11:21 PM
Today in the mail i got an offer for an extended warranty on my new eXmark. It is an extra two years for $189. It this a worthwhile thing to buy or is it not worth it. In my opinion an extra two full years of full coverage (except the usual belts, brake pads, and a few other things). Thanks,
michael

sildoc
08-25-2005, 12:06 AM
Are you in it for the long term or short? That is the question. I think personally 189 is cheap for 2 extra years. I would project 800-1500 hours per 3 years. Things will start to go wrong in that time period. Just in time to take advantage of warranting the items and using the machine for another 3 years.
Think of this it is tax deductible and an engine is a min of 1000.

Scotts' Yard Care
08-25-2005, 12:06 AM
but generally I understand they favor the manufacturer rather than the customer. Do you know the expected lifetime of the major expensive components like engine, tranny and spindles and do you expect to exceed them within the two year warranty?

Brianslawn
08-25-2005, 12:40 AM
also make sure that it doesnt exclude commercial use. read closely exactly what is covered. also will dealer give you a loaner if it is in for warranty work for a week or 2. yes price is lot cheaper than offers ive had and turned down. are you going to put on over a thousand hrs in that time frame. if not put that money in savings and it will probably cover 5 years worth of repairs for your usage.

mcwlandscaping
08-25-2005, 12:47 AM
Commercial is covered, my dealer will give me a loaner no matter what while under warranty. If i tell him that i have jobs to get done, then i get one, thats why i went there!

Brianslawn
08-25-2005, 03:39 AM
tough call mike. it might be worth it for you. ive had a couple repairs that werent covered by the waranty, but then few times had to use it. had a valve guide blow out on new kohler. for 2 years more coverage and less than $200... with $60/hr shop rates and price for parts. have it in the shop once and youll pay that much. i know you take care of your stuff so you probably wont use it, but once or twice. that one time though can easily out cost the warranty price. i would say for someone new and limited resources and mechanical knowledge... the price and coverage makes that a good investment for you.

now can i have change for my 2 cents? :jester:

MTR
08-25-2005, 05:18 AM
Your 48" is a belt walk, there is nothing to break down for 3 years. It is so low maintenance machine. I would not pay any extra. I used extensively my previous 36" Metro for the first 2 1/2 years cause it was my only mower, that thing had never seen the shop. Keep oil changed every 40 hrs, and plug every year, air filter every100 hrs, grease regularly, and your Metro will probably outlast you.

Runner
08-25-2005, 02:37 PM
Not only that, but DOES iot cover the engine and it's components? Does it cover LABOR? You can bet there's a catch in there somewhere.

mcwlandscaping
08-25-2005, 02:52 PM
Guys it covers it all (wel most of it i think!) , ill post what it covers a little later

mcwlandscaping
08-25-2005, 03:24 PM
All right guys here it is. This is the stuff that is covered. I typed it up like it is on the sheet i got except left out the residential stuff. So take a look and let me know if it is worth it or not. Thanks,
Michael

Mower For Less
08-25-2005, 08:21 PM
You can bet there's a catch in there somewhere.

As someone who just had to take his fiance's 2002 Jeep Liberty in for service 6 days over the 3 year mark, let me tell you some of the "catch's" you should be looking out for.

1. What is the diagnostic charge (or whatever they call it when you bring it in for a service?) usually this is a co-pay, deductible, or flat rate charge you are going to pay regardless of your warranty. On the Jeep it was $50, and that was regardless of whether an actual repair was made or not.

2. Is their any other kind of deductable, co-pay, limitation of benefits, or other such charge incurred for a repair. For the Jeep for example, it was considered on the 7-70 powertrain warranty since it was over the 3-36 total coverage warranty, thus they wanted to charge an ADDITIONAL $100 (yes, on top of the $50 diagnostic charge) to make any powertrain repair. (side note: I bitched enough at the pettyness of the 6 days out of warranty, and they goodwilled the repair cost, but still charged the $50 deductable. I do not think you will get goodwill repairs on an extended mower warranty).

Do you know anyone else who has used this kind of warranty? Who has the discretion to say if it under warranty or not? Does the dealer determine? Do they send out some kind of adjuster? Whoever makes the call has a LARGE part to do with how good the warranty is.

These are some things I would find out about first. I'm sure there are other things I am overlooking, but Im in a hurry, so that should be a start.

Kevin

mcwlandscaping
08-26-2005, 02:04 AM
anyone else?? thanks!

olderthandirt
08-26-2005, 02:43 AM
Extended warrenties are one of the biggest profit maker for any manufacturer.
Thats why most manufacturer offer them on everything from autos to egg beaters.

topsites
08-26-2005, 02:46 AM
As a general rule, extended warranties are bad financial deals for the consumer.

mcwlandscaping
08-26-2005, 03:16 AM
Thanks guys, im gonna let it go. I know i bought a quality machine so i should be all set. Anything bound to mechanically go wrong should go wrong within the first two years i would think. Thanks Again,
Michael

Runner
08-26-2005, 11:56 AM
As a general rule, extended warranties are bad financial deals for the consumer.

This is exactly right. This has been mentioned in several consumer type articles.