PDA

View Full Version : Mower for $3500?

Tremens
08-25-2005, 11:20 AM
Hello all, I am new here. I'm looking to buy a zero-turn for around $3500. I been reading many of your posts and was leaning towards a Lesco. Of course, however, these start at around $5700.
1. Is there any way to get a Lesco mower for around $3500 (off-season sales, display models, etc.)?

2. If you only had $3500 to spend, what mower would you buy?

Thanks!

MBDiagMan
08-25-2005, 12:35 PM
I don't know of any Z's in that price range that don't have integrated drives. If you are a homeowner you MIGHT get away with integrated drives as long as they are the IZT models and DEFINITELY NOT the EZT model drives. With any IZT drive be VERY careful not to pressure wash without first adequately and positively sealing the vents. Pressure washing into vents will kill the drives.

Another down side to Z's in your price range is consumer grade engines such as the Briggs and Stratton Intek.

If you will be using the machine commercially, don't even DREAM of getting a mower with a consumer grade engine OR an integrated drive. You want a mower with an industrial/commercial grade engine and individual pumps and wheel motors.

If I absolutely only had $3,500 to spend I would try to buy a used COMMERCIAL unit with low hours or buy a quality lawn tractor.

Been there, done that.

My $0.02,
Doc

South Florida Lawns
08-25-2005, 04:34 PM
If you found a good used ZTR I might go that way. But your best bet is a walk behind with a sulky.

Tremens
08-26-2005, 09:53 AM
Thank you for all of your comments. Although I'm keeping an eye out for used (possibly an Lazer Z CT) mower, I'm still looking at newer machines. Around my price-range are the Hustler FasTrack and Mini FasTrack, but they have IZT and EZT drives. Since these are rated for commerical use, are they an exception to the rule?

Finally, the Simplicity consumer series contains commercial drives. Has anyone had any experience with these models or have any thoughts on them?

Thanks again!

daveintoledo
08-26-2005, 10:06 AM
fast trac and the mini are homeowner machines..... thise guys have already told you, unless its used your not getting a good z for that price, look and the super z and see the price difference, and look at the difference in the machines in general..... the super z is so much sturdyer and heavey duty, just compare the two next to each other and you will see what i mean....

i saw a nice toro z master today (used) for 5000.00

nmurph
08-26-2005, 12:54 PM
i have a mini fasttrak. if you are a home owner i think they are fine. the hydros are rated for 800hrs. you do the math. they will last for yrs with average residential use. they have a 3 yr warranty on the whole mower. who else in the residential line will give you that much warranty? and the factory support is there if you need it. i tell you, they will cut like a banshee and leave your lawn looking professional. as i was dropping my son off this morning i was looking at two torro z masters work. their cut was not as nice and they are 6-7k. i have the 17hp kohler and it has plenty of power. if were buying again i might spring for the 16 hp honda. it has a better warranty and might run a little smoother at idle. mine is a little rough at idle, but it is a smooth motor when you crank up the revs.

dmc456
08-26-2005, 01:18 PM
Purchase a good used unit if you want it to last. You can find one with 300 hrs or so for that amount of money.