PDA

View Full Version : Pawn Shop Score!

Mope Head
08-25-2005, 04:44 PM
Just picked up an Echo SRM 2400 weedeater and a Stihl FS85 edger for $125 total. Took them home, scrubbed them off, gave them some fresh gas and they both started on the third pull. Woo-hoo! I'm tellin ya, from now thru fall is THE time to find deals on used equipment.

robby
08-25-2005, 05:02 PM
sounds like you found a deal!.....whats a good way to find out when a pawn shop is carrying lawn equipment? You just call around to different ones? or?

jbell113
08-25-2005, 05:02 PM
Were you able to test them b4 you paid for em.

AlbeLawn
08-25-2005, 05:07 PM
probably just buying someones stolen property.

KenH
08-25-2005, 05:27 PM

I can almost guarantee it.

Are the serial #'s still there???

AlbeLawn
08-25-2005, 05:35 PM
just had 2 trimmers and a redmax 8000 stolen so i will be looking at all of the pawn shops.

i feel if you buy stolen property to use all you are doing is hurting yourself in the long run. Mainly because of insurance, and karma.
what goes around goes around.

gogetter
08-25-2005, 05:51 PM
There's a pawn shop that sells on eBay and has commercial lawn equipment (trimmers, edgers, blowers) ALL the time!

There's NO way that many commercial guys are taking their stuff to this pawn shop for peanuts. No way! I've even thought about notifying the police in their home town (they're in FL) to have them check them out.
Could probably shut down a nice little theft ring there.

Varsity L&G
08-25-2005, 05:53 PM
Don't pawn shops check police records for SN's?

I have every SN for everything in my car and in my garage in my security safe in the house.

Nosmo
08-25-2005, 06:04 PM
It's the other way around here. The police check the pawn shops
every business day for stolen property (reported stolen property).

The one doing the pawning has to sign a statement before the loan is made stating he is authorized to do so.

befnme
08-25-2005, 06:10 PM
just had 2 trimmers and a redmax 8000 stolen so i will be looking at all of the pawn shops.

i feel if you buy stolen property to use all you are doing is hurting yourself in the long run. Mainly because of insurance, and karma.
what goes around goes around.

but really,do you ask the shop keeper"hey is this stolen?" why heck no you buy it and run.even if it was stolen who would admit they are selling stolen property?

Mope Head
08-25-2005, 06:19 PM
sounds like you found a deal!.....whats a good way to find out when a pawn shop is carrying lawn equipment? You just call around to different ones? or?

Nah, I just stop in whenever I have time to kill and look around. I think maybe at the end of the season you might have a higher likelyhood of finding outdoor equipment.

Yes, I started them both while there but didn't want to run them long since I had no idea about the gas in them. I'm pretty good with small engine stuff so as long as it has compression I'm pretty confident about fixing problems.

Are they stolen? Man, I don't know, but I think it's kind of presumptuous to assume that, because they are in a pawn shop they must be stolen. Pawn shops have all kinds of things...Is some of it stolen? Maybe. Is it ALL stolen? I kinda doubt it.

Do you assume stuff sold on eBay is stolen? If not, why not?

Bad karma? Not a bit. If I pay good money for something that's used, I'm sleeping fine. The karma goes to the thief and anyone who knowingly participates. If I felt there was something hinky about the stuff I wouldn't buy it. The guy wanted $100 for the edger and $75 for the weedeater. I offered $125 for both "as is" and he bit.

blkberry
08-25-2005, 06:44 PM
Had 2 red max trimmers and a backpack blower stolen out of my truck a couple of yearsback. I had the serial #'s to report them stolen. I get a call 4 months later from the sherrif, seems this guy now has felony tresspass and felony theft carges facing him for lying to the pawn shop. The sherrif said they are so far backlogged on stolen goods theyrarely catch the thieving bastards , unless you have the serial #'s!!!!!!!!! Always write down your #'s!

lawnmaniac883
08-25-2005, 08:38 PM
There's a pawn shop that sells on eBay and has commercial lawn equipment (trimmers, edgers, blowers) ALL the time!

There's NO way that many commercial guys are taking their stuff to this pawn shop for peanuts. No way! I've even thought about notifying the police in their home town (they're in FL) to have them check them out.
Could probably shut down a nice little theft ring there.

Where abouts in Florida?

MMLawn
08-25-2005, 09:44 PM
The SRM2400 Echos are OLD,old trimmers but are true workhorses! I still have some we use every day over brand new RedMax's.

gogetter
08-25-2005, 09:57 PM
Where abouts in Florida?

Not sure, that's why I haven't done anything about it. Just know they're in FL.

CELS
08-25-2005, 10:11 PM
Congrats on your find. In my area, local pawnbrokers submit lists of items pawned to the police on a weekly basis. Came in quite useful when I was a plant manager for a factory here. One of my employees I mistakenly trusted pawned a cheap welder and recipricating saw from my factory. It turned up on the list and he was promtly arrested. He got time for it, as he was already on parole. When I visit the pawnshops (not many good ones left anymore) I particularly seek out broken Craftsman tools, as they can be had cheap!

AlbeLawn
08-26-2005, 12:12 AM
but really,do you ask the shop keeper"hey is this stolen?" why heck no you buy it and run.even if it was stolen who would admit they are selling stolen property?

If no one bought the stolen property then there would be no reason for someone to steal it in the first place.

And also i would never buy used equipment off of ebay or even a pawn shop. Mainly for the reason that you have no clue how they have been treated and it is easy to get a trimmer to run good for a couple of days until it is out of wack again.

And i also think that most people in the business do not use pawn shops to sell equipment, they know what it is worth and there is no reason you can not find someone to buy it from you for a good price.

And do you really think that if you got such a good deal that maybe he just gave the person Penny's on the dollar who sold it to him because they had no idea what it was worth. And then in return they just wanted to get rid of it fast so it would not get confiscated by the police.
Just a thought.
If it to good to be true it prob is.

mike28nc
08-26-2005, 01:19 AM
Most if not all shops are using computers. They have systems in place to give information to the police via the computer on HOT ITEMS (stolen). If the shop is not using computers to share information they have the sales slip(person selling the item) or the pawn slip(person taking loan on the item). The police comes by daily and pick the slips up. They will run the serial numbers in there system for matches. Just a note. If the item doest have serial number, the officers will take more of a interest in that item. See if something was stolen that matches that description. What might have happen is the person took a loan on the two items. He never returned to pick up the items and the Pawn shop sold the item. If the person that did this may only needed $100 and that is what they loaned on the two items.
I worked in a Pawn shop for two years. Some are very good. Some are bad. But all have the police watching and checking the slips. At any time they can come in and check the paper work. If you have items in there with out having some type of information about it. They would loose there business and possible more.

Mike

yrdandgardenhandyman
08-26-2005, 01:43 AM
If no one bought the stolen property then there would be no reason for someone to steal it in the first place.

And also i would never buy used equipment off of ebay or even a pawn shop. Mainly for the reason that you have no clue how they have been treated and it is easy to get a trimmer to run good for a couple of days until it is out of wack again.

And i also think that most people in the business do not use pawn shops to sell equipment, they know what it is worth and there is no reason you can not find someone to buy it from you for a good price.

And do you really think that if you got such a good deal that maybe he just gave the person Penny's on the dollar who sold it to him because they had no idea what it was worth. And then in return they just wanted to get rid of it fast so it would not get confiscated by the police.
Just a thought.
If it to good to be true it prob is.

Around here, good equipment can be had at pawn shops. I'm not really sure why an LCO would sell for pennies on the dollar at a pawn shop but I guess even crankheads can be lco's. At least temporarily. Stolen? Not likely. The shops around here work very closely with the police and sherrif's dept. Everything must be cleared through law enforcement before it can be resold. The pawn shops do take a hit from time to time but they tape every transaction and require 2 forms of id. The law inspects every day and the tapes and receipts are copied and turned over on a daily basis. One owner, whom I know fairly well, says it's a pain but it also keeps the crooks from doing business there. You are much more likely to find a stolen item at a yard sale or in the want ads.

topsites
08-26-2005, 01:44 AM

Indeed, and did you know it is against the law to receive / buy / sell stolen merchandise, whether you know it is stolen or not.

I don't do pawnshops, fleamarkets, or side-of-road deals.

On the other hand, pawnshops are networked on the computer with the local constabulary... Still, the owner has to have reported it to the police.

Mope Head
08-26-2005, 08:48 AM
Indeed, and did you know it is against the law to receive / buy / sell stolen merchandise, whether you know it is stolen or not.

I think that probably extends only as far as the pawn shop owner. It is his legal responsibility to ensure that he isn't selling stolen merchandise. If someone comes to me with proof that the equipment I purchased from a pawn shop is stolen then great, I'll be happy to return it to the rightful owner and take the loss. Then it's up to me if I want to pursue recourse against the pawn shop.

LawnBrother
08-26-2005, 09:10 AM
I guess it's just a decision you have to make about when a good deal is too good of a deal. For example, I was approached by someone looking to sell a 32" Toro WB "like new" for $1000. I know these mowers sell for much more than that new or used, and I asked about it's history. He couldn't tell me anything except that it was "almost new". Although it was almost too good to pass up, I didn't bother to look at it because the chances were high that it was hot. It's just bad karma and for me morally wrong to purchase stolen property. If someone in the industry was looking to sell this mower(this guy wasn't a lco) and could tell me something about it, I would have been more inclined to buy it because the chances it was stolen are probably low.
By purchasing something from a pawn shop, it is the owner's responsability to determine if it is stolen. Some pawn shop stuff is, but all of it isn't. If it comes down to it, the shop owner is the one who recieved stolen property. You as the buyer are receiving property from a legal owner, the pawn shop. So don't give Mope Head a hard time about how he probably bought stolen property. He didn't do anything wrong; he just got a good deal on some used trimmers.

Nosmo
08-26-2005, 11:20 AM
IBy purchasing something from a pawn shop, it is the owner's responsability to determine if it is stolen. Some pawn shop stuff is, but all of it isn't. If it comes down to it, the shop owner is the one who recieved stolen property. You as the buyer are receiving property from a legal owner, the pawn shop. So don't give Mope Head a hard time about how he probably bought stolen property. He didn't do anything wrong; he just got a good deal on some used trimmers.

When buying something from a pawn shop you are assuming the shop owner has done the legal thing. Holding it for a period of time and giving the person time to redeem it. If the item is stolen it could or could not have been reported to the police. If it was reported stolen (in my town the police check the shops daily) the shop owner
has a recourse to the person pawning it (he probably will do time).
In this instance it never leaves the shop by being sold.

If the item has not been reported stolen before the shop owner gets it and holds it then sells it he is not liable . Later the item is recovered
(say for example) the owner had been away for a couple months
and then reported the theft went he got home and discovered the loss. The unwary buyer has a recourse to the pawn shop, the pawn dealer has a recourse to the thief who pawned it (he signed a oath of ownership). In my town the court would order restitution paid to the
shop owner along with some time in the cooler and court costs.

So in reality when buying something at a pawn shop it may well be stolen but you are buying it in good faith from the shop owner who is supposed to be the true owner.

Nosmo